Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Do the words "cancer in the clubhouse" mean anything to you?

I'm not saying that Larson would be that. I don't know the man, I don't know where he's at, don't know if he's made the right choices since his series of not-so-good choices a while back.

But it doesn't strike me as being unreasonable to recognize this as a valid concern.

People can change. People do change. But also, people don't always change, and sometimes they fall back into bad old patterns rather than leaving them forever behind. Life's like that.

I'd hope the coaching staff would go slowly here, and do their due diligence to the best of their ability.
    But if he's a "cancer" the staff can cut him loose almost instantly with no harm done. They didn't waste time or resources recruiting him and as far as we know, he won't be on scholarship. If he comes in and works hard and works out, they found a steal. If he's a "cancer" then adios.

I just don't see how one guy that we aren't investing anything into can ruin an entire program.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      But if he's a "cancer" the staff can cut him loose almost instantly with no harm done. They didn't waste time or resources recruiting him and as far as we know, he won't be on scholarship. If he comes in and works hard and works out, they found a steal. If he's a "cancer" then adios. I just don't see how one guy that we aren't investing anything into can ruin an entire program.
      Exactly what my thoughts are. Keep him on a short lease. No first, second and third chances. You screw up, you are done. If he walks on, that will even lower the risk. I don't know him, but he seems like a kid that has been given a lot of passes in life, but once you lose something that you love the most, it can change a man.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I understand its not the same as Jill Young, but its the closest thing I could compare it to. There is other things though as well, how far along with credits you are could be one of them as well.

I'm guessing if he does end up at SDSU he understands that any type of problems and he is gone.

Comment

Larson could be the greatest thing to happen to SDSU's men's basketball program since Nate Wolters.
          Larson could be the worst thing to happen to SDSU's men's basketball program since--oh--pick any of a number of names from the years 2004-2006.
          Which one might he be? Or will he be somewhere in between? Or are we even talking about something that actually might happen in the first place?

We're not going to solve the riddle here.

And with that, I bow out of Larson talk for now. We shall see what we shall see.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU Dad View Post
            Not sure if commenting on this belongs in this thread but since he would be here next year, i thought it was appropriate.

I did talk to Cody Larsen on Saturday night. There is a very good chance he will be at SDSU next year. Discussions with coaches and current players have met with approval.
            Small issue to work through and I think he will be Jack next year

Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              He practiced, and has not transferred to another school yet (as far as I know) which means he has to sit out a year once joining the new program. The transfer rule isn't once you quit the team, its once you enroll in the new school. Remember Jill Young situation, she left Creighton, didn't even go to school, but since she had set foot on campus she was officially there. Its confusing, I wouldn't say its unfair though.

And its a really unique system, and its far from certainty that he will join the Jacks, my guess is that they are dealing with the NCAA right now to figure out what the exact situation would be. He won't hurt the Jacks any (they need size), but how many minutes has he played in the last 4 years? played little his senior year, red shirted, played little, hasn't played this year, probably will have to sit out next year. So i'm a little skeptical on him being a big impact player.
              If the five years to play four is applied to Larson, he then would have one year of eligibility remaining ? He redshirted his first year,played last season,is sitting out this season and next season (#4) would be his transfer season. Waivers can be applied for,but they are usually only given in medical or hardship situations.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Do the words "cancer in the clubhouse" mean anything to you?

I'm not saying that Larson would be that. I don't know the man, I don't know where he's at, don't know if he's made the right choices since his series of not-so-good choices a while back.

But it doesn't strike me as being unreasonable to recognize this as a valid concern.

People can change. People do change. But also, people don't always change, and sometimes they fall back into bad old patterns rather than leaving them forever behind. Life's like that.

I'd hope the coaching staff would go slowly here, and do their due diligence to the best of their ability--assuming that the original rumor is anything more than just that.
                If I've heard things correctly our coaching staff has been moving slowly on this young man for some time now. I suspect its been made extremely clear that Cody will be under the microscope. But, not one single Jackrabbit fan would not openly welcome this young man with open arms if he becomes a Jackrabbit. Another local kid that will fill a huge void for us in the middle over the next couple of years. Cody already has one sister at SDSU playing VB and I think the Jacks are recruiting his younger sister Taygen to play VB and or BB.

That said, if the Jackrabbit coaching staff beleives he will be a good fit than I beleive he will be a good fit. I personally think he would look great in the Jackrabbit lineup.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  Exactly what my thoughts are. Keep him on a short lease. No first, second and third chances. You screw up, you are done.
                  I agree, but the issue with your argument is that if he screws up only once the damage is already done.

Comment

The whole playing in the SEC and being so far from home may have been really bad for Cody. He may benefit from playing close to his family.

I trust the coaching staff to make the best decision possible for this program going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                      I agree, but the issue with your argument is that if he screws up only once the damage is already done.
                      I still haven't seen anyone articulate what the damage is or could be? Say he gets in trouble with the law and is dismissed from the team. What happens then? As far as I can tell, that's the end of it. Oakland recently dismissed a player from their team. We discussed it briefly, but I haven't heard anything about it since and it doesn't appear to be a distraction.

Please enlighten me.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        The whole playing in the SEC and being so far from home may have been really bad for Cody. He may benefit from playing close to his family.

I trust the coaching staff to make the best decision possible for this program going forward.
                        It may or may not have been bad for him, but I feel it was the best thing he could have done at the time. I believe that he needed to get far, far away from the Sioux Falls media for the time being after his whole high school ordeal for his own sake.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Along with this, everyone seems to agree that we have great young ment playing on our team. I don't see how they would be anything but a positive influence on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                            But, not one single Jackrabbit fan would not openly welcome this young man with open arms if he becomes a Jackrabbit.
                            Huh? I consider myself a Jacks fan, and I am not welcoming him with "open arms". I would say my arms would be crossed in a very defensive manner.

To me, it's not that big of a deal where he ends up. If Nagy and staff really want him, I hope they get him. If not, that's fine with me.
                            Last edited by 2002jack; 02-18-2013, 10:38 PM.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Being a Jackrabbit probably would be great for Cody. I agree that good coaches and good team mates would be a positive influence. Meanwhile, just the possibility of him becoming a Jackrabbit has us hard-core fans worked up and excited. Regardless of whether he's got one year or two years left to play, scholarship or no scholarship, I'd welcome him to SDSU.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by mr76 View Post
                                I am not sure that we will take our lumps over the next two seasons. I know that we are graduating the best player in the school's history (Wolters) and a very good player in Fiegen, but with our returning players, redshirts, and recruits I like the potential of the team. I also think that our roster is not set for next year. I would not be surprised if we have a player or two that do not return for next season. I think we need to still be recruiting a point guard and another big from the juco ranks or as a transfer. I am going to throw this name out there as a suggestion and I know some might not agree with me, but if I was the coaches I would recruit Cody Larson. I think both he and the team would benefit by him playing for us.
                                I am not trying to sound like a Cool-Whip topper here, but I believe I posted this previously with only one response and now that Cody was at the game this thread has blown up. I still believe that this could be a win-win for both the school and Cody and I hope that it comes to fruition.

Comment

Working...
                                X