2013 Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

If his choice is truly Wyoming, then there must be something higher on his priority list than basketball. That may very well be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Best of luck to young Mr. Hanson.

It stinks we didn't get him, but a person could make a decent argument that we are already getting this type of recruit on a pretty consistent basis.

Dykstra was very highly touted, initially committing to Iowa State. He was pursued by majors and the Missouri Valley after he de-committed. Granted, there may have been special circumstances that brought him to SDSU, but still.

If they had waited until their junior or senior years to commit, who knows where White, Fiegen, and Horstman end up. Maybe they go MVC or higher. Horstman is tall, athletic, and can shoot. Frankly, he had MVC written all over him, if not Big 10.

We are never going to get every in state stud, but we need to compete for them. From what I've seen, we are.
      Horstman would have went MVC no doubt, I've heard coaches say that, possibly even some lower level BCS conferences. White without injurying his knee no doubt, maybe even higher as well. With his injury he was still a solid SL recruit, and could have seen some lower level MVC/high mid major conference schools offer.

The thing with Hanson is if what I've read is true about his recruitment, you could argue Creighton "stole" him. This guy had Missouri, and other high major BCS schools that had either offered or were at least talking to him. Creighton is a national name, who was ranked pretty high last year, and has been for years in the past.

You don't get them all, he would have been a nice get, but you have to be realistic, he was going to be very hard to get. Severyn on the other hand, IDK, if he really wants to go to Wyoming more power to him, he has family ties to SDSU (his sister has committed, I believe his parents went their), so if he doesn't want to go their, my guess is there is some type of outside issue
      Last edited by joeboo22; 07-19-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Wyoming has the benefit of being in a better conference (Mountain West), but they certainly aren't a basketball power. I believe both SDSU & USD has beaten them in recent years. Severyn also picked up an offer from NDSU recently.

Comment

Saw Zach Hanson play at the Best Buy tournament this past weekend. He is talented and strong no doubt but in my opinion far from irreplaceable, though he would certainly have been a nice catch. Not sure if he was going all out when I saw him or not buy he played OK. My son is not on the SDSU radar anymore so I will probably not follow as closely in the future, but it has been fun getting to know the Jacks program and players. I will be pulling for them if they get to NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            Horstman would have went MVC no doubt, I've heard coaches say that, possibly even some lower level BCS conferences. White without injurying his knee no doubt, maybe even higher as well. With his injury he was still a solid SL recruit, and could have seen some lower level MVC/high mid major conference schools offer.

The thing with Hanson is if what I've read is true about his recruitment, you could argue Creighton "stole" him. This guy had Missouri, and other high major BCS schools that had either offered or were at least talking to him. Creighton is a national name, who was ranked pretty high last year, and has been for years in the past.

You don't get them all, he would have been a nice get, but you have to be realistic, he was going to be very hard to get. Severyn on the other hand, IDK, if he really wants to go to Wyoming more power to him, he has family ties to SDSU (his sister has committed, I believe his parents went their), so if he doesn't want to go their, my guess is there is some type of outside issue
            Just heard that Pierre's Lane Severyn has an offer now from NDSU.
            When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
              Hope it isn't true but Lane Severyn from Pierre is leaning towards Wyoming...
              Where did you hear this? The last time I talked to Lane, Wyoming wasn't even mentioned. I would be shocked if he picks Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by 67jack View Post
                Just heard that Pierre's Lane Severyn has an offer now from NDSU.
                They offered a couple weeks ago. TV mentioned it on Twitter per another source.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Flatten story:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120730/SPORTS/307300007/Flatten-s-stock-rising?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports&nclic k_check=1

S
                  everyn story:

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
                    Hope it isn't true but Lane Severyn from Pierre is leaning towards Wyoming...
                    Talked to someone very close to Lane this weekend at the tournament in Tea. He said he thinks the top two on Lanes short list are SDSU and Wyoming.
                    When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by 67jack View Post
                      Talked to someone very close to Lane this weekend at the tournament in Tea. He said he thinks the top two on Lanes short list are SDSU and Wyoming.
                      Curious whether he likes the outdoors (hunting, fishing, skiing?). If so, that could explain part of the reason he likes U of Wyoming.

Comment

Quote from TV's article: “I’m really intrigued by the University of Wyoming and South Dakota State right now. But NDSU came on the map lately and I could do that, too.”

I agree that maybe the outdoor aspect of the area could be a factor in the WY consideration. If he's into that type of stuff (like myself) I could not blame him for going to school out there. Basketball wise, though..... ugh.

Comment

Does he have a girlfriend who is going to Wyoming? Bottom line if they don't offer, and they haven't, he can't choose them (unless he wants to walk on and pay his own way)

Comment

Not saying anyone in particular is getting into dangerous waters, but it's probably time for a reminder regarding recruiting, from
                            http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...iate+athletics

Boosters play a role in providing student-athletes with a positive experience through their enthusiastic efforts. They can support teams and athletics departments through donations of time and financial resources which help student-athletes succeed on and off the playing field.

Boosters, referred to by the NCAA as “representatives of the institution’s athletic interests,” include anyone who has:
                            • Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
                            • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
                            • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
                            • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
                            • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
                            • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
                            • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

Once an individual is identified as a “representative of the institution’s athletics interests,” the person retains that identity forever.

Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

Students are still considered prospects even if they have signed a National Letter of Intent or any other financial aid agreement with a university.

Boosters are not precluded from continuing established friendships with families who have prospective student-athletes. However, boosters may not encourage a prospect’s participation in university athletics or provide benefits to prospects that were not previously provided.

If a violation occurs, it may jeopardize a student-athlete’s eligibility for intercollegiate competition, jeopardize a school’s membership status with the NCAA or cause a booster to lose access to all booster benefits.

Last Updated: Dec 1, 2011
                            If you're someone who's associated in any way with SDSU athletics--in anything more than the paying-a-ticket-and-going-to-games role, (including once giving money to the Jackrabbit Club)--and you find yourself in a situation where you're talking to prospective athletes, their families or friends/associates, just be aware of the guidelines.

When in doubt, tread lightly.

And yes, I am a worrywart.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

We usually think that having a sibling playing a sport at State,or having a parent(s) that have gone here automatically means that an athlete should be a lock for SDSU. Some kids may want to go a different direction and "do their own thing". If that happens,we shouldn't take it as a knock on SDSU.

Comment

Not to be a dick, or to be a negative nancy, but I feel if anyone is making a D-I commit because of an outside situation (hunting/outdoors or any other reason) they are doing it for the wrong reason. When it comes to being a D-I athlete, it is a full time, yes to get a few weeks off in the off season, and a weekend or two in season, and 3-5 days over Christmas (if lucky).

The point is if you want to go to X school because you think you are going to get in 18 holes in every other day, and go hunting every weekend, while playing sports you will either be off the sports team in a hurry, or be very disappointed. Find a school that fits your game, your academic profile and you are happy being at and the rest will fall into place.

This is not intended at Severyn or any recruit is specific but to all recruits looking at a school.

Comment

Working...
                                X