Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Maybe Coach Seville can provide us with more insight. Creighton has a great program, SDSU is on the cusp of having a great program. When do we start getting more of the recruits like Zach Hanson?
    Creighton has made the tournament 17 times. We are not on the cusp of a great program. We are on a good run, but I wouldn't say we are on the cusp of greatness at all. Get to the tournament after Nate leaves and then we can start having that discussion as far as I'm concerned.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I would agree with that sentiment. Great programs reload and that has yet to be seen as the "proven" talent core on this team still has one and two years left. If we can make it with players like bittle, devine, and the likes we can get the ball rolling on bigger and more impactful recruits on a yearly basis. Right now I feel big time recruits see SDSU 3-4 years down the line as a gamble (could be good, could be ok). The Jacks, as exciting as I am for them, have to make a strong push for consistency in winning the conference like Oakland use to. Oakland gets impactful transfers and recruits because they have proved over a decade or more they are a force to be reckoned with and will threaten for the Dance every year...SDSU can't say that... YET.

More than possible to see SDSU as being a perennial contender in the future, but until its proven I can't be sure all recruits see the Jackrabbits as anything other than we are...a one time Big Dance qualifier. Has it helped in recruiting? We will find out with the last two commits (the Sacramento Aussie and Bittle), but I think its foolish to count chickens before they hatch. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Just remember that Creighton is considered a mid-major program but they spend like a BCS program. Same goes for Gonzaga, etc. These schools are tough to compete with. For instance, when McDermott went from Iowa State (Big 12) to Creighton (MVC), it was an upgrade in salary and money towards the program. Some would think it would be the other way around.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by scubasteve View Post
          ...The Jacks, as exciting as I am for them,...
          Hmmmm.

Comment

Creighton has more tourney appearances because its been in D1 longer. Also, saying that Jacks have to win without Wolters to prove they can be a good program doesn't really make sense. Isn't the point of creating a great program, finding diamonds in the rough, while recruiting more talented recruits? So saying that Jacks need to win without Wolters is like saying Creighton needs to win after McDermott leaves. You recruit when your star is playing so you don't need to rebuild when your star player leaves. Let's not also forget that SDSU has just as good of a shot as making the tournament because the Summit is not as tough as the MWC.
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Question my excitement all you want, I am trying to be rational about all of this. And I did not ever mention wolters in the singular, I said the proven talent core. Remember that this team struggled and didnt have .500 seasons before the current core of talent was assembled (not at the D-1 level anyways). I will not twist your statement and say you think the Jacks have proven themselves because I do not play those games. I will say that althougth you are correct the Summit is not as good as the MVC, its harder to get drafted out of the Summit too as a counter to the point you are making. Recruits pick different reasons for going places, that is true.

Nagy has done a hell of a job turning the program into a good program but if you want to say its great already, thats your perogative. Mine states that more must be done to be considered great, not tearing our team down, because I think the current team is outstanding. I am trying to keep a level head that stays below cloud elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by scubasteve View Post
                Question my excitement all you want, I am trying to be rational about all of this. And I did not ever mention wolters in the singular, I said the proven talent core. Remember that this team struggled and didnt have .500 seasons before the current core of talent was assembled (not at the D-1 level anyways). I will not twist your statement and say you think the Jacks have proven themselves because I do not play those games. I will say that althougth you are correct the Summit is not as good as the MVC, its harder to get drafted out of the Summit too as a counter to the point you are making. Recruits pick different reasons for going places, that is true. Nagy has done a hell of a job turning the program into a good program but if you want to say its great already, thats your perogative. Mine states that more must be done to be considered great, not tearing our team down, because I think the current team is outstanding. I am trying to keep a level head that stays below cloud elevation.
                I agree with Scuba and Steve.

SDSU still has a ways to go before they're going to get recruits like Hanson.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I woke up to rain in Arlington this morning, and Zach Hansen is going to Creighton. I dont see this as a crisis, but am thank-ful for the small shower of rain. Good luck at Creigthon Zack. What is a cusp anyway?
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 07-18-2012, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Best of luck to young Mr. Hanson.

It stinks we didn't get him, but a person could make a decent argument that we are already getting this type of recruit on a pretty consistent basis.

Dykstra was very highly touted, initially committing to Iowa State. He was pursued by majors and the Missouri Valley after he de-committed. Granted, there may have been special circumstances that brought him to SDSU, but still.

If they had waited until their junior or senior years to commit, who knows where White, Fiegen, and Horstman end up. Maybe they go MVC or higher. Horstman is tall, athletic, and can shoot. Frankly, he had MVC written all over him, if not Big 10.

We are never going to get every in state stud, but we need to compete for them. From what I've seen, we are.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I woke up to rain in Arlington this morning, and Zach Hansen is going to Creighton. I dont see this as a crisis, but am thank-ful for the small shower of rain. Good luck at Creigthon Zack. What is a cusp anyway?
                      A "cusp" is about the same as a "brink"

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        A "cusp" is about the same as a "brink"
                        Actually (at least in golf), about a half-inch shorter...almost ready to reach the brink, where the next 1/8" takes you over the edge. You're pretty close in either case. (Thus endeth today's lesson on the more important things in life.)

Comment

Hope it isn't true but Lane Severyn from Pierre is leaning towards Wyoming...
                          It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
                            Now that would be weird. Wyoming? They suck.

Comment

hope it isn't true but lane severyn from pierre is leaning towards wyoming...
                              ROTFLMAO. I think I just spit out my drink.... Wyoming... Really... Wyoming...
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Hopefully the lack of rain for rabbitfarmer is making him seeing/hearing weird things

Comment

Working...
                                X