Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Not to be a dick, or to be a negative nancy, but I feel if anyone is making a D-I commit because of an outside situation (hunting/outdoors or any other reason) they are doing it for the wrong reason. When it comes to being a D-I athlete, it is a full time, yes to get a few weeks off in the off season, and a weekend or two in season, and 3-5 days over Christmas (if lucky).

The point is if you want to go to X school because you think you are going to get in 18 holes in every other day, and go hunting every weekend, while playing sports you will either be off the sports team in a hurry, or be very disappointed. Find a school that fits your game, your academic profile and you are happy being at and the rest will fall into place.

This is not intended at Severyn or any recruit is specific but to all recruits looking at a school.

Competely agree with Joe. You're either all-in or out, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

How dare any 18 year old kid think of anything but a sport that they will most likely only play for 4 or 5 more years. What selfish pricks.

(I obviously disagree with the people posting before me.)
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Per Ryan James:
        South Dakota State is the latest to offer point guard Graham Woodward of MN Pump N Run/Edina.
        Graham's Junior Year Highlights:

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...oodward-137129

http://xofan.com/basketball-2/mvc-ba...seventh-offer/

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            How dare any 18 year old kid think of anything but a sport that they will most likely only play for 4 or 5 more years. What selfish pricks.(I obviously disagree with the people posting before me.)
            I think you are missing the point about what the previous posters said. They didn't even hint at saying Lane was a selfish prick. What they are saying is when you are a D1 athlete at a sport you can practice/ play year round in college, you can only really focus on two things. Academics and athletics from practices to games to working on your game. Throw in some parties at night after you are done working out, you don't had much time for anything else. So what they are saying is if Lane thinks he's going to have enough time to go sking, hunting or fishing while he is playing a sport, he is in for a rude awakening. Because, when you play a sport in D1, it is no longer a sport it's a lifestyle, and he could have trouble adjusting. That being said, he maybe he is like griffan callahan and doesn't want to go to SDSU because he wants to do his own thing and not be like his sister or dad but who is to say he won't go to SDSU in th first place or transfer.
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

You're all making a big assumption that hunting, fishing, etc is the reason Lane likes Wyoming...
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I am not sure based on some comments if people are being sarcastic about having other interests outside of sports or not? But, I do know that many and I mean many of our current student athletes enjoy the hunting, fishing and other ammenities that the Brookings area offers. They simply love this area for what it offers outside of athletics and academics. Not being critical of any posts - I simply know that SDSU can offer things that other schools cannot. I've visited the Wyomings, Montana, Montana State and the outdoor activities there and the beauty of the sorrounding areas would be a big draw. Other student athletes simply would not care if there was a pheasant, big game or fish to harvest in the area.

GBGBGJ

How dare any 18 year old kid think of anything but a sport that they will most likely only play for 4 or 5 more years. What selfish pricks.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  I think you are missing the point about what the previous posters said. They didn't even hint at saying Lane was a selfish prick. What they are saying is when you are a D1 athlete at a sport you can practice/ play year round in college, you can only really focus on two things. Academics and athletics from practices to games to working on your game. Throw in some parties at night after you are done working out, you don't had much time for anything else. So what they are saying is if Lane thinks he's going to have enough time to go sking, hunting or fishing while he is playing a sport, he is in for a rude awakening. Because, when you play a sport in D1, it is no longer a sport it's a lifestyle, and he could have trouble adjusting. That being said, he maybe he is like griffan callahan and doesn't want to go to SDSU because he wants to do his own thing and not be like his sister or dad but who is to say he won't go to SDSU in th first place or transfer.
                  Just to be clear, you are saying it is OK for a DI athlete to go to parties after working out, but not OK to go sking, hunting, or fishing? What about video games, SportsCenter, Jersey Shore, smartphones, FCA, girlfriends/boyfriends, movies, church, volunteering, etc, etc, etc...

Nope, the priorities are academics, sports, parties. There won't be time for anything else.

LOL

This whole argument seems dumb and ridiculousness to me. Of course the student athletes are going to focus on academics and athletics. But if that's all they have time for, then they are missing out on a lot of life and the college experience. I don't care if you are a DI athlete, CEO, or Janitor. You make time to do the things you love. Otherwise, what's the point?

Like Chains said, there are many current student athletes at SDSU that are pretty involved in quite a few things other than academics and athletics.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Just to be clear, you are saying it is OK for a DI athlete to go to parties after working out, but not OK to go sking, hunting, or fishing? What about video games, SportsCenter, Jersey Shore, smartphones, FCA, girlfriends/boyfriends, movies, church, volunteering, etc, etc, etc...

Nope, the priorities are academics, sports, parties. There won't be time for anything else.

LOL

This whole argument seems dumb and ridiculousness to me. Of course the student athletes are going to focus on academics and athletics. But if that's all they have time for, then they are missing out on a lot of life and the college experience. I don't care if you are a DI athlete, CEO, or Janitor. You make time to do the things you love. Otherwise, what's the point?

Like Chains said, there are many current student athletes at SDSU that are pretty involved in quite a few things other than academics and athletics.
                    This ^^^^^^^^^^

Like Chains said the mountains of the west can be a draw for some people. Just because you are a DI athlete does not mean you don't have time for other activities.

Comment

Just to be clear, you are saying it is OK for a DI athlete to go to parties after working out, but not OK to go sking, hunting, or fishing? What about video games, SportsCenter, Jersey Shore, smartphones, FCA, girlfriends/boyfriends, movies, church, volunteering, etc, etc, etc...Nope, the priorities are academics, sports, parties. There won't be time for anything else.LOLThis whole argument seems dumb and ridiculousness to me. Of course the student athletes are going to focus on academics and athletics. But if that's all they have time for, then they are missing out on a lot of life and the college experience. I don't care if you are a DI athlete, CEO, or Janitor. You make time to do the things you love. Otherwise, what's the point?Like Chains said, there are many current student athletes at SDSU that are pretty involved in quite a few things other than academics and athletics.
                      Reread. Where did I say that? I said SOME parties at night aka dark aka not being able to hunting or go sking. During the season there really is not much time to do anything else. Heck, Nate Wolters is in the the gym till 11 or so every night. Do you think he thinks his life is boring? D1 sports are a lifestyle not a sport. That is why many D1 wrestlers go D2 and why some college caliber athletes don't play college sports because they want to hang out with their friends and enjoy college more. Also nowhere did I say that parties are a priority, I stated that athletes could go to some parties in the offseason but they spend a lot of time working on their game, and studies. But if they think they are going to be able to spend a lot of time hunting, fishing, sking and other stuff they are in a rude awakening. That is all I stated. Ps. You can hunt/fish/ski the rest of your life, you can only play college basketball for 4 years
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        Not to be a dick, or to be a negative nancy, but I feel if anyone is making a D-I commit because of an outside situation (hunting/outdoors or any other reason) they are doing it for the wrong reason. When it comes to being a D-I athlete, it is a full time, yes to get a few weeks off in the off season, and a weekend or two in season, and 3-5 days over Christmas (if lucky).

The point is if you want to go to X school because you think you are going to get in 18 holes in every other day, and go hunting every weekend, while playing sports you will either be off the sports team in a hurry, or be very disappointed. Find a school that fits your game, your academic profile and you are happy being at and the rest will fall into place.

This is not intended at Severyn or any recruit is specific but to all recruits looking at a school.

You have just made the best possible case for paying college athletes.

To the larger point: Other than the military, what other profession or pursuit demands of its participants what you lay out here? Which is to say, I disagree with your point. There should be a greater college experience, even for athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          Reread. Where did I say that? I said SOME parties at night aka dark aka not being able to hunting or go sking. During the season there really is not much time to do anything else. Heck, Nate Wolters is in the the gym till 11 or so every night. Do you think he thinks his life is boring? D1 sports are a lifestyle not a sport. That is why many D1 wrestlers go D2 and why some college caliber athletes don't play college sports because they want to hang out with their friends and enjoy college more. Also nowhere did I say that parties are a priority, I stated that athletes could go to some parties in the offseason but they spend a lot of time working on their game, and studies. But if they think they are going to be able to spend a lot of time hunting, fishing, sking and other stuff they are in a rude awakening. That is all I stated. Ps. You can hunt/fish/ski the rest of your life, you can only play college basketball for 4 years
                          Nate Wolters is in the gym until 11, and I admire him for it. How many of his teammates are there with him? Does Nagy expect this of all his players, or is Nate an outlier freak?

Let's say you have a kid who is more of a gym rat than Nate Wolters, and in the off season he is in the video room, weight room, and gym 12 hours a day. I think most physical trainers would tell you this is not an effective way to build muscle or muscle memory. In other words, this kid would get burned out and his skills would probably start to regress. For the sake of argument, say this kid is a genetic mutant to the extent that his extreme dedication actually allows him to improve.

Get ready to have your mind blown:

This outlier-freak-mutant could sleep a healthy 9 hours (assuming mutants need sleep) and still have 3 hours to head to the driving range, go rock climbing, throw a line in the water, watch a movie, or make out with his girl. Assuming he lives close enough to any of those things.

PS, The fact of the matter is that there are current SDSU students who have more than enough time to do the things they want while excelling at athletics/academics.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            You have just made the best possible case for paying college athletes.

To the larger point: Other than the military, what other profession or pursuit demands of its participants what you lay out here? Which is to say, I disagree with your point. There should be a greater college experience, even for athletes.
                            I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, just stating what I believe the case is. I went to a NAIA school and the amount of time the athletes had on their hands (especially basketball where there really wasn't an offseason) was pretty small.

Comment

18 year olds can think of whatever they want. But if you want to be a scholarship athlete for a D-I school, and expect to keep your scholarship and play you better have that sport at the top of what you are thinking about. Not saying I agree with the concept but its the facts, I was not a D-I athlete or a college athlete at all, but talk to them, I know of a really good baseball player whose D-I coach told him he couldn't play baseball, actually know of a few of them. And that is in the off-season.

Comment

LOL

I get your point, but in my experience again NON DI experience, the athletes I was friends with didn't have a ton of time on their hands. I know of D-I athletes who use to play baseball, now they can't, use to golf 8-10 rounds a week, now lucky if they can get 1 or 2 in. Being a D-I athlete takes a ton of time. Yes you can go on a hunt or two, not saying that is not an option. But as a D-I athlete I think they(all) need to understand that if the outdoors or some activity (golf, skiing, hunting, etc) is why you want to go to a school, you are going for the wrong reasons.

I go back to what a guy I worked with told me, I went to college in Montana because of the skiing, I was back home in 6 months because I went for the skiing.

And again, I'm not attacking a recruit, I'm not saying that they shouldn't try to do these extra activities, that they shouldn't have fun in college, but I think they need to understand their #1 and #1A goals are playing your sport to a high level, and performing in the classroom at a high level, and making sure you perform at those two things, requires a ton of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X