Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    The season SDSU is having this year, and the prospects for the kind of season they're likely to have next year with the returning players, and 6'10" Connor Devine up in Alaska continuing to put up triple-doubles regularly and being compared up there by his hometown paper to the likes of Carlos Boozer (Duke/Chicago Bulls, don'tcha know), has got to be a positive on the recruiting trail. Kids want to play with winners. SDSU's now among the winners--as long as the guys keep it up, that is. If they can make the Dance, and make a little noise, who knows who may be on campus next year (and following)?

The question to recruits is starting to be: are you good enough to play for South Dakota State? (OK, getting a bit excited about next year . . . must calm down . . . beer me!)
    The fact that Jacks have recruited pairs out of Madison and NW Iowa plus had brothers on the roster for a couple of years has got to be a selling point for going after pairs like the Pierre players. Not a lot of teams have that.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Can't win them all, and like I already said about Lang, it wasn't the program it was the coach. Tim Floyd coached the Bulls, Iowa State and USC. I don't care who you are or the fact that the Bulls were pathetic when he coached them but it sells to recruits. Its easy to look back and say we should have won this battle or why didn't the coaches recruit this kid. But kids go to different places for totally different reasons. Ask them. Say why did you decide to play there. Hanstad stated turning down SDSU was the hardest part of going to Boise, sounds like he liked SDSU. But there were other factors, sounded like their coach (who was new at the time) had recruited him when the coach was at Gonzaga.

I think too many people see a recruit leave the local area and say the coaches screwed it up, but if you actually talk to people in the know, they usually say good things about the coaches and the program.

From talking to people though, I'd guess that Severyn and Hanson go high mid-major (upper level MVC or similar) or higher. Or end up in Brookings. Not saying they are a package deal it just goes for both of them.

SDSU has some offers out to some solid out of area kids as well for the 2013 class. But it gets old when the should of would of could of, and that every local recruit who goes somewhere else other then SDSU was a mistake on SDSU. Ask Minnesota about Wolters, ask others places about other recruits. Ask Roy Williams at UNC why he didn't recruit McDermitt when recruiting Barnes or why he couldn't get Zeller to convince his brother to come. I just think recruiting is one of those things where it is very easy to sit on the side lines, watch and make comments of why something didn't happen. I think Nagy is a pretty good recruiter though.

I have no problems with Lang or Hanstad leaving the area and certainly don't blame the coaches for not landing them. There are obviously alot of different factors that go into choosing a school.

Just trying to state that with SDSU's recent success, the next step will be attracting local players that tend to leave to go to fringe BCS / high Mid-Major schools that are supposedly better, when in actuality, aren't as good as SDSU and don't have a better shot of making the dance like one might presume.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
        I have no problems with Lang or Hanstad leaving the area and certainly don't blame the coaches for not landing them. There are obviously alot of different factors that go into choosing a school.

Just trying to state that with SDSU's recent success, the next step will be attracting local players that tend to leave to go to fringe BCS / high Mid-Major schools that are supposedly better, when in actuality, aren't as good as SDSU and don't have a better shot of making the dance like one might presume.
        I agree, I just think that SDSU does a pretty good job of bringing in local recruits. 7 of the 10 that suit up are from South Dakota or a state connecting to South Dakota.
        I'd rather look at the ones SDSU kept then the ones who got away.

Comment

I agree, I just think that SDSU does a pretty good job of bringing in local recruits. 7 of the 10 that suit up are from South Dakota or a state connecting to South Dakota.
          I'd rather look at the ones SDSU kept then the ones who got away.
          This is true and SDSU certainly can't win them all.

I believe Nate had a late offer from Colorado State and Dykstra had bigger offers after rescinding his verbal to Iowa St. ( I can't think of them off the top of my head but seem to remember an offer from Vanderbilt and Hawaii)

The other players however ended up at SDSU in large part because we were the biggest school recruiting them. That and Coach Nagy has used a strategy, one that has worked well, of getting verbals from South Dakota kids early on, which can scare off other programs from recruiting them.

Who's to say a player like Zach Horstman wouldn't have had other offers come in if he hadn't verbaled to SDSU as a sophomore.

It's easy to forget that this team is as good as it is because the players around Nate are good, legitimate DI players.

After the NDSU beatdown, I remember reading a comment on Bisonville about how SDSU will go back to stinking after Wolters leaves and that the other players are all DII material. That is just not true though. A team doesn't win 20+ games with only one good player. (Look at IUPUI)

Sorry for the thread drift. Looking forward to seeing how much this year's success wil have on future recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
            This is true and SDSU certainly can't win them all.

I believe Nate had a late offer from Colorado State and Dykstra had bigger offers after rescinding his verbal to Iowa St. ( I can't think of them off the top of my head but seem to remember an offer from Vanderbilt and Hawaii)

The other players however ended up at SDSU in large part because we were the biggest school recruiting them. That and Coach Nagy has used a strategy, one that has worked well, of getting verbals from South Dakota kids early on, which can scare off other programs from recruiting them.

Who's to say a player like Zach Horstman wouldn't have had other offers come in if he hadn't verbaled to SDSU as a sophomore.

It's easy to forget that this team is as good as it is because the players around Nate are good, legitimate DI players.

After the NDSU beatdown, I remember reading a comment on Bisonville about how SDSU will go back to stinking after Wolters leaves and that the other players are all DII material. That is just not true though. A team doesn't win 20+ games with only one good player. (Look at IUPUI)

Sorry for the thread drift. Looking forward to seeing how much this year's success wil have on future recruiting.
            If I remember correctly,wasn't Wake Forest interested in Jordan after he de-commited ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              If I remember correctly,wasn't Wake Forest interested in Jordan after he de-commited ?
              Yes! He never received a scholarship offer I believe, but was given a walk-on spot. Davidson was also recruiting him pretty hard too (this was right after their run with Steph Curry).
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Pierre played the Brookings Bobcats on Friday and go a chance to see Lane Severyn play. He has D1 written all over him!!

I think a good way to describe him is think of Taylor Braun for ndsu but a little better outside 3 pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU Dad View Post
                  Pierre played the Brookings Bobcats on Friday and go a chance to see Lane Severyn play. He has D1 written all over him!!

I think a good way to describe him is think of Taylor Braun for ndsu but a little better outside 3 pointer.
                  Hopefully we can ink Severyn. Any player who can match Taylor Braun is worth our time.

Comment

Severyn played great in the 3rd place game. He had something like 30pts and 18rbs. It was the first time I watched Hanson play, the Jacks really need that kid.

Comment

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by dakotan heel View Post
                      Severyn played great in the 3rd place game. He had something like 30pts and 18rbs. It was the first time I watched Hanson play, the Jacks really need that kid.
                      I only watch part of a few games on tv but from what I could see is that Hanson would be more who we need and has a better skill set. Did he have a problem with his leg? looked like he wore a playing cast or brace. Severyn was good but I think has to learn how to utilize his talent and once he does he could be great IMO.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Both Hanson and Severyn are DI talents and are the types of kids SDSU used to miss on when we were in DII and in transition.

Keeping these kids in-state will say a lot about where SDSU is as a basketball program. If we lose out on either of them, I'd hope it's to a power 6 conference school and not another mid major, as that would be disappointing. Hopefully making the tourney will help close down the boards for our in-state DI talent.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

I'd be shocked if Hanson ended up at SDSU. I had watched him play last year, and you could tell he had talent and was good, but he was the best player on the floor against Mitchell and was playing on 1 leg. assuming he can get 100% I'd be shocked if he didn't end up at a high MVC (Creighton, UNI, Witchita St.) at the least. He has gained a ton of weight/muscle over the past year. Reminds me of Dykstra.

I agree with Kemo on Severyn, he is better then he thinks he is. Needs to understand that and he will be a great player. Severyn reminds me of Chad White

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I only watch part of a few games on tv but from what I could see is that Hanson would be more who we need and has a better skill set. Did he have a problem with his leg? looked like he wore a playing cast or brace. Severyn was good but I think has to learn how to utilize his talent and once he does he could be great IMO.
                            Hanson was playing his first games in 4-5-6 weeks at the State AA Tourney after suffering a stress fracture of the fibula. Gritty performance by the young man. In the third place game against S.F. Washington he had something like 16 points and 7-8 boards in only 15 minutes of play.
                            When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

I'd be shocked if Hanson ended up at SDSU. I had watched him play last year, and you could tell he had talent and was good, but he was the best player on the floor against Mitchell and was playing on 1 leg. assuming he can get 100% I'd be shocked if he didn't end up at a high MVC (Creighton, UNI, Witchita St.) at the least. He has gained a ton of weight/muscle over the past year. Reminds me of Dykstra.

I agree with Kemo on Severyn, he is better then he thinks he is. Needs to understand that and he will be a great player. Severyn reminds me of Chad White
                              Been told Yale, among others, has an interest in Severyn. But Yale doesn't give athletic scholarships do they? Only acedemic? Must be a great student!
                              When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Pierre's Zach Hanson was named SD Gatorade POY.

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...oy-zach-hanson

Comment

Working...
                                X