2013 Recruiting List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Who are the last five high major recruits out of South Dakota?

Comment

Here are some that I can recall.
      Cody Larson - Florida
      Joe Krabbenhoft - Wisconsin
      Jared Reiner - Iowa
      Mike Miller - Florida
      Jason Sutherland - Missouri
      Eric Piatkowski - Nebraska

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        Cody Larson - Florida
        Jared Reiner - Iowa
        Mike Miller - Florida
        Colton Iverson to Minnesota
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Cody Larson - Florida
          Jared Reiner - Iowa
          Mike Miller - Florida
          Kind of a thread drift here but have any of you guys seen Florida play? All Iverson is assigned to do is play PF on defense and clog up the middle and set screens on offense. Kind of a joke to me. I mean he actually could score points in high school but nope he just set screens and hopes for tip-ins.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Kind of a thread drift here but have any of you guys seen Florida play? All Iverson is assigned to do is play PF on defense and clog up the middle and set screens on offense. Kind of a joke to me. I mean he actually could score points in high school but nope he just set screens and hopes for tip-ins.
            First of all, his name is Cody Larson and not Colton Iverson. Secondly, he's PLAYING for a top 15 team in the nation as a freshman because he redshirted the first year. It's also amazing enough that you see all these games on ESPN. It's very naive to consider it "a joke" and you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but some people don't understand how good these players are that play on that level. The fact that he was highly recruited AFTER all those issues in Sioux Falls tells you he's obviously a talented kid.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              First of all, his name is Cody Larson and not Colton Iverson. Secondly, he's PLAYING for a top 15 team in the nation as a freshman because he redshirted the first year. It's also amazing enough that you see all these games on ESPN. It's very naive to consider it "a joke" and you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Edit: Sorry for the rant, but some people don't understand how good these players are that play on that level. The fact that he was highly recruited AFTER all those issues in Sioux Falls tells you he's obviously a talented kid.
              Calling him Iverson was an honest mistake in fact I don't know why I said that. I meant Larson and obviously I didn't realize it otherwise I would have edited it. I know the difference. Also joke wasnt the best word in fact I meant a joke in that the coaches aren't using him to the best of what he can be. I know Florida is a top 15 team infact they are rated 11. All I want is for him to be successful and I am rooting for him its frustrating to me to see him not utilized to his talents. That is what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                Calling him Iverson was an honest mistake in fact I don't know why I said that. I meant Larson and obviously I didn't realize it otherwise I would have edited it. I know the difference. Also joke wasnt the best word in fact I meant a joke in that the coaches aren't using him to the best of what he can be. I know Florida is a top 15 team infact they are rated 11. All I want is for him to be successful and I am rooting for him its frustrating to me to see him not utilized to his talents. That is what I meant.
                If that's what you meant then I obviously took your message out of context. No worries.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Can someone please explain to me how a 2010 recruit, who is playing at Florida is being discussed in the 2013 threat? just confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    Can someone please explain to me how a 2010 recruit, who is playing at Florida is being discussed in the 2013 threat? just confusing.
                    A poster earlier asked who were the last 5 major recruits to come out of South Dakota and one of the ones listed were Cody Larson and I pointed how frustrated I was with the coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      Maybe look back a few posts and you can probably figure it out yourself....

Comment

I thought that Cadsev's post was dead on.

And than I thought about former O'Gorman and current UTEP freshman, Cedric Lang.

Here's a kid that left to go play in a big conference for a relatively recognizable team, and yet, SDSU is actually a better team than UTEP and will have a better shot at making the dance in the next coule years.

And to think, if Lang chose SDSU over UTEP, SDSU would be even closer this year to making the dance and would have to be the overwhelming favorite for 2013.

Those are the recruiting battles that SDSU needs to win.

It's next to impossible to land a local kid who has the chance to play in a power conference, but if SDSU wants to take that next step we need to be able to land those fringe BCS kids like Lang and North Dakota's Joe Hanstad.

Not that either player made the wrong choice going to their prospective schools, UTEP & Boise State. But if SDSU can start getting those local, fringe players, we could build a program that will rival other powerful Mid-Majors.

Comment

Agree

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

And than I thought about former O'Gorman and current UTEP freshman, Cedric Lang.

Here's a kid that left to go play in a big conference for a relatively recognizable team, and yet, SDSU is actually a better team than UTEP and will have a better shot at making the dance in the next coule years.

And to think, if Lang chose SDSU over UTEP, SDSU would be even closer this year to making the dance and would have to be the overwhelming favorite for 2013.

It's next to impossible to land a local kid who has the chance to play in a power conference, but if SDSU wants to take that next step we need to be able to land those fringe BCS kids like Lang and North Dakota's Joe Hanstad.

Not that either player made the wrong choice going to their prospective schools, UTEP & Boise State. But if SDSU can start getting those local, fringe players, we could build a program that will rival other powerful Mid-Majors.
                            ++++
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

Can't win them all, and like I already said about Lang, it wasn't the program it was the coach. Tim Floyd coached the Bulls, Iowa State and USC. I don't care who you are or the fact that the Bulls were pathetic when he coached them but it sells to recruits. Its easy to look back and say we should have won this battle or why didn't the coaches recruit this kid. But kids go to different places for totally different reasons. Ask them. Say why did you decide to play there. Hanstad stated turning down SDSU was the hardest part of going to Boise, sounds like he liked SDSU. But there were other factors, sounded like their coach (who was new at the time) had recruited him when the coach was at Gonzaga.

I think too many people see a recruit leave the local area and say the coaches screwed it up, but if you actually talk to people in the know, they usually say good things about the coaches and the program.

From talking to people though, I'd guess that Severyn and Hanson go high mid-major (upper level MVC or similar) or higher. Or end up in Brookings. Not saying they are a package deal it just goes for both of them.

SDSU has some offers out to some solid out of area kids as well for the 2013 class. But it gets old when the should of would of could of, and that every local recruit who goes somewhere else other then SDSU was a mistake on SDSU. Ask Minnesota about Wolters, ask others places about other recruits. Ask Roy Williams at UNC why he didn't recruit McDermitt when recruiting Barnes or why he couldn't get Zeller to convince his brother to come. I just think recruiting is one of those things where it is very easy to sit on the side lines, watch and make comments of why something didn't happen. I think Nagy is a pretty good recruiter though.

Comment

The season SDSU is having this year, and the prospects for the kind of season they're likely to have next year with the returning players, and 6'10" Connor Devine up in Alaska continuing to put up triple-doubles regularly and being compared up there by his hometown paper to the likes of Carlos Boozer (Duke/Chicago Bulls, don'tcha know), has got to be a positive on the recruiting trail. Kids want to play with winners. SDSU's now among the winners--as long as the guys keep it up, that is. If they can make the Dance, and make a little noise, who knows who may be on campus next year (and following)?

The question to recruits is starting to be: are you good enough to play for South Dakota State? (OK, getting a bit excited about next year . . . must calm down . . . beer me!)
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X