Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAGY must ... Stay (for awhile)

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    This thread is the Great West of message board postings.

AWESOME!! I just spit up a little bit of my Diet Soda, you owe me a new tie SoDak!!

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I say give Nagy a one year contract! Oh, wait, that's right. That's all we can do due to the oversight of SDBOR.

The ridiculousness of the thread was something I was fully anticipating when I logged on this morning. Glad the haters didn' disappoint. Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion and there are a number of people that won't rest until a change is made.

For me, the team is definitely improving and we have a strong recruting class coming in. The overall talent level is improving and that needs to continue.

Someone else put up the post as to who would you get if Nagy were to be let go? What happens to recruiting class if a change is made? I kind of put that paragraph up there for a laugh but also kind of serious. Seriously, those of you that want a change, who would you hire?

The notion of a change now makes no sense to me but that is just my opinion.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        This thread is the Great West of message board postings.
        Now that IS FUNNY!

As for the op, Nagy is doing exactly what a lot of SDSU fans hoped after we came to realize that the transition to D1 would be painful. I am in the camp of folks who are very excited about the product we will see on the floor in the next several years. Just take a look at what we return (including White and Carlson) and next years incoming recruits. We will be a top 4 Summit League team again next year. Nagy is a class act who put up with serious adversity during the transition. He has this program headed in the right direction.

Now go JACKS! and remember that we still have one team playing in Sioux Falls this week. A team that could very well be making a second straight trip to the NCAA tourney, and at a minimum will get a serious look for an at large invite to the WNIT based on two wins over top 40 teams.

Comment

How about:

Nagy must STAY!

Our fans, however, must GO! We need to get some . . . I dunno, maybe some Assistant Fans from Kansas or Duke or somewhere, that really know how to make a lot of noise and turn a 2 point lead into a 10 point lead, or a 10 point lead into a 20 point lead.

The fans we have now simply can't cut it in D-I. Maybe we need to get some drunken lout fans, or some wildly delusional, arrogant, way-too-impressed-with-modest-achievement fans like some of our neighbor schools can boast of. Then we'll really be something, I'll tell you whut!

(do I really need a smiley or a /sarc tag here? Yeah, probably I do . . . )
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            How about:

Nagy must STAY!

Our fans, however, must GO! We need to get some . . . I dunno, maybe some Assistant Fans from Kansas or Duke or somewhere, that really know how to make a lot of noise and turn a 2 point lead into a 10 point lead, or a 10 point lead into a 20 point lead.

The fans we have now simply can't cut it in D-I. Maybe we need to get some drunken lout fans, or some wildly delusional, arrogant, way-too-impressed-with-modest-achievement fans like some of our neighbor schools can boast of. Then we'll really be something, I'll tell you whut!

I love it filbert! That is what Frost Arena used to be and hopefully will be again. Now, I get what Jimmyjack is saying too. At this point I would settle for not getting told to sit down.

We all stood and yelled a ton during the WNIT games at Frost and that is what a home court advantage is. There wasn't any part of the games yesterday that remotely compared to that.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              How about:

Nagy must STAY!

I agree...I can't tell you how many times I heard "DOWN IN FRONT!!" during last nights game, and these were SDSU fans...if you can call them that. Take all the seats out of frost and make it standing only. That will clear out the *$&%^#!

Comment

So here's a question I've been debating with myself for the last 15 hours or so. Was this season really an improvement on last season? Yes they went from 7th to 4th in the standings, yes they got rid of the losing on the road epidemic and beat the teams they should have beat on the road. But, they lost more games at home this year than they did last year and lost a first round tournament game as a higher seed after beating the 2 seed last year.

I just don't know. I don't think it is a step back, but is it really a step forward?

This is not a Nagy question. It's a team question.

Oh, and if I hear one more time "At least we've still got the women" from someone at the Arena, so help me I don't dump my beer on their head.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  is it really a step forward?
                  3 more league wins

#4 seed vs. #7 seed

4-4 on the road

Comment

So here's a question I've been debating with myself for the last 15 hours or so. Was this season really an improvement on last season? Yes they went from 7th to 4th in the standings, yes they got rid of the losing on the road epidemic and beat the teams they should have beat on the road. But, they lost more games at home this year than they did last year and lost a first round tournament game as a higher seed after beating the 2 seed last year.

I just don't know. I don't think it is a step back, but is it really a step forward?
                    I actually went into each game the Jacks played with a realistic idea they could win each game. Can you say that about the team the past few years? There were some heartbreakers. Games that got away were East Carolina, Denver, Cal-Poly, NDSU@home, and Oakland@home. Switch those games and the Jacks would have been 18-11 overall, 12-6 in conference. But you know, sheit happens and those games turned into losses and we get posters we have never seen show up and make requests for huge changes.

Some of my comments regarding Dale were a little harsh. I do enjoy watching him play, mostly because you never know what he can do. He has improved his jump shot from his freshman and soph. years. But I do stand by my comment that at that point of the game, Clint and Griff are better shooters. Even if Clint was having a bad game, he did have some shots roll out.
                    Last edited by bub94; 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM. Reason: added last paragraph
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

My gut feeling is that we are lucky to have Scott Nagy as our coach. Not much else to be said.

Comment

This is not a Nagy question. It's a team question.

Oh, and if I hear one more time "At least we've still got the women" from someone at the Arena, so help me I don't dump my beer on their head.
                        Yes, this year was definitely a step forward. A number of monkeys were tossed off of the back of the team this year.

There are still many areas of improvement before they're back in D-I to something approximating what they were in D-II (i.e. a perennial threat to win the conference) but after this year, with the players we have and the recruits coming in, you can actually see how it could come together. Doesn't mean it will come together, but it's no longer just a whistling-in-the-dark kind of thing.

And at least, for now, we've still got the women! (You KNEW that was coming . . . )
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Reading through TV's blog of Men's game last night - some donkey said "Looks like the Jacks are one and done".

In the first 5 minutes and THE SCORE WAS 10-3 IN FAVOR OF IPFW!!! WT..... people?

Anyone serious about MBB at this level has to get out to a game once in a while. This isn't the old NCC Holiday tournament - Momentum swings these games around in the blink of an eye.

Are there better coaches out there? yes - but I think we are pretty lucky to have had Coach Nagy at the helm. Next year should be another step forward. If not - tough questions have to be asked, but look at where we've been.

We could still be playing NJIT & Houston Baptist - I'd argue we would have won some Great West titles (is there REALLY such a thing?) Takes time, people. We're headed in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by rockchalk View Post
                            NAGY MUST GO. WHAT HAS HE DONE. LOOK AT USD and there success so far in the transition. When we were in the Great West or whatever we won about 3 games. SDSU has the best facilities in the conference and with the conference tourney at home there is no doubt we should bring in a coach that can win.
                            Who is this guy (rockchalk)? You may be a great guy and very astute but your posts are garbage. We were never in the Great West in basketball for goodness sakes. We started the Great West football conference, and the year we left to go to the Missouri Valley Football Conference, USD and UND came in and the Great West commissioner tried to make it an all-sports conference...albeit with no auto bid or anything. And he got some great teams to come in...Houston Baptist...Texas Pan-American...New Jersey Technical Institute...WOW! Dakota Wesleyan could win a lot of games in that conference IMO.

If you didn't know that, why are you posting here?

Comment

So this year was step forward? We did go 8-0 against the bottom four teams in the league but 2-8 against the top 5. I agree that we did good job beating the the teams we were suppose to but 2-8 against the top five which includes 1-3 against the 5 and 6 teams, well I'm not sure I call that progress. I know people will want to talk about the all the close losses and play the "if" game but the fact is we lost those games.

By my count, we are 60-119 since starting the transition and we are yet to show that we can consistently beat (not come close) the top teams in the league. This is progress?

My question to all the Coach Nagy backers is how long does he get or deserve? Will it ever be time for a change or we do we just settle for mediocrity in MBB. If it is the later of the two then at least we will continue to get good seats at Frost. Also, at least we have WBB and FB which have both shown true progress and success.

Comment

And my question to those of you who are for firing Nagy... why do you think we'll find anybody better? What is it about this school/place etc. that some great coach, BETTER than Nagy is going to come here for? The entitled attitude of an unrealistic fanbase, who thinks that because they were good in the NCC, they should be good forever, despite having a financial, facilities, and recruiting disadvantage against almost every school in this conference?

Seriously, has it occurred to you people that maybe this is the best SDSU can do at basketball at this level? Sure there might be a team every couple years that has a chance to get to the big dance, but those will be moderated by teams like this years... average.

So what is it you people think the goals should be? Because if you think we're ever going back to the days of NCC domination, you're crazy, we're just another also-ran in an also-ran conference now. We have no way of drawing in D-I players for a good team, and so we're never going to get that great coach everybody thinks should come here after they can Nagy. In fact, we might get a worse coach... I'm sure that never crossed anybodies mind though.

Call it "accepting mediocrity" if you want, but I'm going to be a lot happier accepting SDSU for what it is, instead of thinking that a miracle is going to happen, and somehow we're going to get a coach that turns us in to Gonzaga, in one of the most unlivable regions of the country. I'll continue to support Nagy, while you idiots keep being enraged that the teams aren't dominating D-I like you fantasized in your dreams before the D-I change over happened.

Comment

Working...
                                X