NAGY must ... Stay (for awhile)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NAGY must ... Stay (for awhile)

I'm not sure why all of Nagy supporters keep bringing up the the idea that we would have to replace him with someone that would cost us a ton of money. There are plenty of excellent coaches out there that SDSU could bring in that would not cost $500k. If you watched any of the tournamanet the last couple of weeks you heard story after story of coaches starting at the D-III, D-II and mid major level and worked their way up. These are obviously great coaches and I would be willing to bet they weren't making huge salaries in the lower level jobs. To use the argument of who could we get that's better means you are willing to settle for mediocrity.

As for recruiting, please don't try to say that Nagy is a good recruiter. He was at the D-II level which is what he is continuing to do. Correct me if I'm wrong but South Dakota used to only put maybe 2 or 3 players a year into D-I basketball and Nagy managed to find 3 within 20 miles of Brookings last year. This is not meant to be disrespectful to any of SDSU's most recent recruits as I think they will have fine careers but I didn't realize that South Dakota and NW Iowa had become so loaded with D-I talent. He didn't put this many SD kids on his roster in the D-II days. I guess it saves on recruiting expenses which is probably a must at this point.

Comment

Just $500,000? Well that would be about 5 x more than what SDSU pays now for it's head coach. You are a Jack backer how much you willing to pony up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
        I'm not sure why all of Nagy supporters keep bringing up the the idea that we would have to replace him with someone that would cost us a ton of money. There are plenty of excellent coaches out there that SDSU could bring in that would not cost $500k. If you watched any of the tournamanet the last couple of weeks you heard story after story of coaches starting at the D-III, D-II and mid major level and worked their way up. These are obviously great coaches and I would be willing to bet they weren't making huge salaries in the lower level jobs. To use the argument of who could we get that's better means you are willing to settle for mediocrity.

As for recruiting, please don't try to say that Nagy is a good recruiter. He was at the D-II level which is what he is continuing to do. Correct me if I'm wrong but South Dakota used to only put maybe 2 or 3 players a year into D-I basketball and Nagy managed to find 3 within 20 miles of Brookings last year. This is not meant to be disrespectful to any of SDSU's most recent recruits as I think they will have fine careers but I didn't realize that South Dakota and NW Iowa had become so loaded with D-I talent. He didn't put this many SD kids on his roster in the D-II days. I guess it saves on recruiting expenses which is probably a must at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Amen! I'm honestly sick of hearing this same argument.

Wake up people, Nagy isn't going anywhere for a while. That is just the way it is. If you haven't seen the progress made over the past 2 years you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            If you haven't seen the progress made over the past 2 years you don't know what you are talking about.
            Nail on the head.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

We "used to put 2-3 players a year into D-1"? Really? I have lived here most of my life (37 years) and can recall less than 10 D-1 recruits.

The Rock Valley kids came here b/c of Nagy.

Nagy has dealt with major adversity since goin D-1 and we are still a very respectable program w/ a very bright future.

if you think it's a given that we will only land a better coach if we cut Nagy loose then give me a name or two who would be so much better. Remember that the BOR doesn't offer multi-year contracts.

For all he has done, Nagy deserves, at the very least, another year. I guess I value integrity. I view those who want a change as unrealistic who simply don't understand the challenges facing Nagy and SDSU at the D-1 level.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                HERE WE GO AGAIN, Lock up time.

Comment

Just how does this BOR thing work. What if they decide not to give Nagy or any other Jack coach a contract. Why put it in the hands of a bunch of USD alumni.

Comment

BOR policy is that you can only offer an employee a one year contract, you can do it year after year but it is not the same as the multi-year contracts that are the norm in D-I athletics. The BOR does not decide who we hire or keep.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      HERE WE GO AGAIN, Lock up time.
                      I agree, Mods please lock this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        Just how does this BOR thing work. What if they decide not to give Nagy or any other Jack coach a contract. Why put it in the hands of a bunch of USD alumni.
                        Though USD is well represented on the BOR, there often is not the passion for USD. I cite the D1 decision as being that. Harvey Jewett, a very close friend to Gov Janklow and the president of the BOR, did not make much effort to stop it in order to appease USD. I think Jewett was more of a NSU advocate because he had businesses in Aberdeen.

Dean Krogman is SDSU best representative, but it depends on the issue and who wins and who loses. Also the lady from SF who is a non alum has in the past been a good SDSU advocate. SDSU support and representation with the BOR is pretty good and more so than everyone would think after reading the bio's on the BOR website.

The one year contract matter is a state statute and not a BOR policy. Correct me if I am wrong. If they want to change it, it will start probably with the BOR lobbying the legislature so its going to take some real efforts to change that law.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

The one year contract matter is a state statute and not a BOR policy. Correct me if I am wrong. If they want to change it, it will start probably with the BOR lobbying the legislature so its going to take some real efforts to change that law.
                          Unfortunately, I think it is going to come down to losing a coach that we want to keep to get anyone working on the issue, at which point it will be to late.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                            I agree, Mods please lock this thread.
                            Maybe if enough of us go on completely off topic, profanity laced tirades in this thread it will get locked.

Someone else go first.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                              Maybe if enough of us go on completely off topic, profanity laced tirades in this thread it will get locked.

Someone else go first.
                              Got a laugh out of that.

Very few threads get locked and it seems to me there isn't a strong reason to lock this one. Everyone can just let it die (pie time!) and it'll go away on its own. Jackbacker123 has about five posts in his history and I think they're all in this thread, all negative on Nagy. Posters are not required to respond.

Now, if someone would provide me with a piece of lemon-meringue pie....

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Got a laugh out of that.

Very few threads get locked and it seems to me there isn't a strong reason to lock this one. Everyone can just let it die (pie time!) and it'll go away on its own. Jackbacker123 has about five posts in his history and I think they're all in this thread, all negative on Nagy. Posters are not required to respond.

Now, if someone would provide me with a piece of lemon-meringue pie....
                                Are you suggesting bribery of moderator with pie? Well its kind of off season so not a whole lot to yap about. Though not my role as a poster, I did check Jackbacker 123 and also noted the sum total of 5 posts, all related to this thread. Does make you wonder who the face is behind the mask. I dont think its the Lone Ranger.

Comment

Working...
                                X