Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by mjs View Post
    You guys heard a whisper about Ron Baker? Hadn't heard a peep here in Little Rock. I thought if he announced right after his visit to South Dakota he'd go with the Jacks. Now that its been over a week, I don't have a clue. Haven't been able to find a message board for Eastern Illinois, the other school who reportedly offered him. I don't know if anyone else is involved at this point or not. We may have to move on pretty soon, if he doesn't make a decision, because we definitely need to bring in another shooting guard.
    I haven't heard anything, but was told not to read into the waiting. From the reports I heard he told the team he didn't plan on verballing until after Easter at the earliest. I've heard rumors he is waiting on Iowa State, as they recruited him all around but didn't have a scholarship and now do with a recruit backing out. Also heard he wants to take a JuCo and a D-II visit in Kansas.

Comment

You guys heard a whisper about Ron Baker? Hadn't heard a peep here in Little Rock. I thought if he announced right after his visit to South Dakota he'd go with the Jacks. Now that its been over a week, I don't have a clue. Haven't been able to find a message board for Eastern Illinois, the other school who reportedly offered him. I don't know if anyone else is involved at this point or not. We may have to move on pretty soon, if he doesn't make a decision, because we definitely need to bring in another shooting guard.
      This guy is tweeting that Baker is going to walk on at Wichita State.

http://twitter.com/#!/NextLevelRecrut

Comment

Oh well, it's confirmed. Sucks for SDSU and UALR-

SPORTS: Scott City's Baker commits to Wichita State

Published 4/25/2011 in Latest News
        By BRETT MARSHALL
        bmarshall@gctelegram.com

Scott City's Ron Baker, The 2011 Telegram Boys Player of the Year, has made a verbal commitment to play basketball at Wichita State University.
        According to the 6-2, 195-pound Baker, and his father, Neil, the verbal commitment to the Shockers was made on Sunday, two days after he visited the WSU campus.
        Baker said he will red-shirt his freshman season and that the Shockers scholarship offer will be for the 2012-13 season. He indicated that he would sign his NCAA letter-of-intent in November during the early signing period.
        Baker was also selected as The Telegram's 2010 Football Player of the Year.
        For more details, read Tuesday's Telegram or go to www.gctelegram.com on Tuesday afternoon.

Read more: http://www.gctelegram.com/news/Baker...#ixzz1KYvkJXHv

Comment

This sucks.

And how can anyone consider this still a good recruiting year? Unless the coaches sign a couple good kids, and I know there's still time, this will turn into a disaster. They HAVE to get a quality big in!
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

All I can say is glad I don't have to make a living based on what a 17-21 year thinks of me and the school I represent. I feel if we don't get a "big" in this recruiting class we have wasted another year of having a point guard with Nate's ability. I do think there will be a couple of late additions of kids we have not even heard of yet from the Juco ranks or maybe a transfer or off the radar high school project.

Comment

............. He now is apparently getting serious attention from some higher profile schools (eg. Wichita State), but has told them he will sign with UALR or SDSU because these schools have been recruiting him all along. Got to like a kid like that.......

Well, so much for that....does that mean that now I can dislike him?

Comment

Well, its not like he went to a lower school. From all sounds of things everyone has gone "up"
                which means you are recruiting the right kids, if you are losing out to USD, UMKC, and Augie then I'd say its bad. But its not over, a lot of JuCo's right now are figuring out if they can leave after being Freshman, a lot of high schoolers are figuring out if they are qualified or not.

Comment

Not getting Baker does not bother me as much as losing out on the bigs. With as much depth as the Jacks have at the 2/3 spots,he was probably at least two years away from seeing much time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Not getting Baker does not bother me as much as losing out on the bigs. With as much depth as the Jacks have at the 2/3 spots,he was probably at least two years away from seeing much time.
                    While a big is our greatest need, you still should go after the best players available. Baker was obviously a good player. Also, i don't see all this depth at the 2 and 3 spots.

Comment

Paul Sather when he was at Black Hills State once told me for every 1 recruit you hear there is 3 more that you don't hear about. And he said that is how it was at Colorado when he was an assistant their. Because of this I am willing to believe that they are out recruiting, probably have a few visits scheduled over the next 10 days already.

The kids are the ones who release that a school has interest in them or that they have an offer out. The media is the ones who ask them, because its April, and basketball is done at both hs and juco levels the media is not out trying to find out who has an offer out to who. Because of that I doubt we hear much of who we have an offer out to, until they are scheduled for a visit and then even then its still iffy.

Also its transfer time and eligible time. A lot of schools are finding out if everyone is returning, did any of their recruits not qualify, etc. Because of this many JuCo's wait very long until they sign. Some wait too long.

In 3 weeks if still no one has signed and no one has really been mentioned people can start to panic but until then I'm going to be optimistic

Comment

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Lofton-113605

This guy still needs a college. Would be great to see a high profile scorer like him land here.

Comment

I believe Greg Kampe(correct if I'm wrong) once said, "If we sign every kid we recruit, than we aren't recruiting the right players."
                          I believe that even though we lost on coughill, it means that we are recruiting good players for our program but we can't get every recruit.
                          If we make it to the dance a couple years than we will start getting recruits like Baker and Coughill
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by StefaniGermanotta View Post

This guy still needs a college. Would be great to see a high profile scorer like him land here.
                            http://minnesota.scout.com/2/991325.html

stated in August that SDSU had been in contact, (along with a bunch of other schools)

Comment

Plus his name is Zach, we need more Zachs.

Comment

There are reasons he is still looking. He was voted to the state all-tournament team,but was quickly removed before the awards ceremony because he threw a hissy fit after his team lost and ran off to the locker room without shaking hands,etc... A coach finally got him to come out of the locker room,but the awards ceremony was over

Comment

Working...
                                X