2011 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Well I'll ask the next obvious question. Since Easter is this weekend so I doubt anyone will be coming for a visit this weekend, but does anyone know if any visits are scheduled?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Jacks need to find a way to start winning some of these recruiting battles. Another season without a "Big Body" in the middle and allowing players to play in their natural positions will make it tough to advance.
      It is disappointing to miss out on Coughill, but are you talking about this off season or in general?

Generally speaking, the Jacks have won at least 2 big recruiting battles in the last two seasons: Wolters (NDSU and CSU) and Dykstra(Wake Forest and others).

Granted, to be competitive at the DI level, SDSU has to recruit year in/year out. Two good recruiting years and one down year will not win a conference championship.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        It is disappointing to miss out on Coughill, but are you talking about this off season or in general?

Generally speaking, the Jacks have won at least 2 big recruiting battles in the last two seasons: Wolters (NDSU and CSU) and Dykstra(Wake Forest and others).

Granted, to be competitive at the DI level, SDSU has to recruit year in/year out. Two good recruiting years and one down year will not win a conference championship.
        If the Jacks don't bring in another player I still wouldn't consider it a down year, it may be a down year in terms of getting a need, but they still got the best player in the state and another 2,000 career point scorer walking on. And then a guy from Chicago that put up good numbers in the metro area.

Still need to get a big man though, but there are still a lot of guys out there.

Comment

I'm talking in general that we have not landed a serviceable big man that could take pressure off other players. Matt Jones is the last guy who could really make things happen down low. We continue to lose players who could help to other regional and beyond mid-majors. I just think the coaching staff could do better in landing that Juco player that fits a need or high school kid that can contribue rather quickly in the post. Wolters and Dykstra were great gets, but if we don't add a hard nosed guy who can clear people out and get rebounds than we are wasting this teams talent.

Comment

I'm talking in general that we have not landed a serviceable big man that could take pressure off other players. Matt Jones is the last guy who could really make things happen down low. We continue to lose players who could help to other regional and beyond mid-majors. I just think the coaching staff could do better in landing that Juco player that fits a need or high school kid that can contribue rather quickly in the post. Wolters and Dykstra were great gets, but if we don't add a hard nosed guy who can clear people out and get rebounds than we are wasting this teams talent.
            I'd argue that Cordova in his prime was a very good post player. He had some big games for us from time to time. You are right that it's one piece we've been missing and need to find to make the move to the next level in the Summit.

Comment

The last juco we tried which could have been a nice addition, was not even able to see the court so its still not a for sure getting a juco.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I sort of agree with most of what you say here. I think Ben Beran was as good if not better than Matt Jones, but that can be debated and isn't really pertinent to the matter at hand.

We have lost some post player recruits recently and it hurts. But to go down to the wire with a well established mid-major like WGB tell me we are doing things right. We just haven't been able to close the deals, which happens. I'm not going to get that worked up about it.

I've never been one to get a man crush on any recruit, so I'm not that disappointed in losing out on Coughill. If one recruit makes or breaks a season, we've got bigger issues than losing a recruit to a more established school in a more well know conference, IMO.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  I'd argue that Cordova in his prime was a very good post player. He had some big games for us from time to time. You are right that it's one piece we've been missing and need to find to make the move to the next level in the Summit.
                  Cordova doesn't count, he was only 6'6" (actually 6'4"). Everybody knows that to be successful in DI basketball, a post needs to be at least 6'10" (paging Charles Barkley and Corliss Williamson).

Comment

yes a 6'6" forward can compete, but the margin level is much smaller for them then a 6'9" kid. It goes back the the famous saying "you can't coach height/size"

As far as the 2011 recruits. I've been looking and other then Baker I haven't found much.

According to Rivals.

It list 12 players, of them 1 in Horstman, 6 have signed LOI's to play basketball at other D-I schools, 2 signed LOI's to play D-II basketball and 1 signed a LOI to play D-I football.

The other 2 are Baker and Marquel Curtis another guard that as far as I can tell is most likely a D-II recruit.

Comment

Cordova doesn't count, he was only 6'6" (actually 6'4"). Everybody knows that to be successful in DI basketball, a post needs to be at least 6'10" (paging Charles Barkley and Corliss Williamson).
                      Wasn't Barkley a PF, or am I missing something in the joke?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        If the Jacks don't bring in another player I still wouldn't consider it a down year, it may be a down year in terms of getting a need, but they still got the best player in the state and another 2,000 career point scorer walking on. And then a guy from Chicago that put up good numbers in the metro area.

Still need to get a big man though, but there are still a lot of guys out there.
                        The only real way to evaluate how well a program recruits is if they fill their weaknesses - the philosophy of taking the "best player available" regardless of position may look good on paper,but doesn't necessarily make you better. The clock is ticking on the opportunity to build a really special team around Nate,and it won't happen with what the Jacks currently have in the post. Let's hope there is a space-eater out there who can play some defense and rebound - he doesn't have to be a scorer to help this team.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          The only real way to evaluate how well a program recruits is if they fill their weaknesses - the philosophy of taking the "best player available" regardless of position may look good on paper,but doesn't necessarily make you better. The clock is ticking on the opportunity to build a really special team around Nate,and it won't happen with what the Jacks currently have in the post. Let's hope there is a space-eater out there who can play some defense and rebound - he doesn't have to be a scorer to help this team.
                          I agree with that, they do need to get a center, but when you are a low/mid-major you have to first make sure you get the Horstman's of the area. Lang would have been a nice get but Tim Floyd is a a former NBA coach who can recruit, he recruited at Iowa State, recruited at USC and has been a solid recruiter in his short time at UTEP.

Comment

I agree it's still a good recruiting year. I am just a little greedy and really want another big. I am super happy with last year, but want to see us dominate conference. I apologize for getting a head of myself. go jacks!!

Comment

Just wanted to add Kai Williams was a huge victory. Beat Richmond, rice etc for his services.

Comment

You guys heard a whisper about Ron Baker? Hadn't heard a peep here in Little Rock. I thought if he announced right after his visit to South Dakota he'd go with the Jacks. Now that its been over a week, I don't have a clue. Haven't been able to find a message board for Eastern Illinois, the other school who reportedly offered him. I don't know if anyone else is involved at this point or not. We may have to move on pretty soon, if he doesn't make a decision, because we definitely need to bring in another shooting guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X