Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    watching his highlight video (and yes anyone can look good with a highlight video so I don't take much stock in one). But he looks like a good overall point guard. Saw the court well, played good defense and can shoot. A little undersized and maybe a 1/2 step slow but for a walk-on a good find.

Does anybody know what class this is comparable to in South Dakota. Looked like high A basketball but that is just a guess.
    My info from Google says 9-12 enrollment is 1500 kids, so more like AA
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      My info from Google says 9-12 enrollment is 1500 kids, so more like AA
      thanks. was just guessing off of gym size/attendance

Comment

This kid is what you consider a 'true' walk-on. Hard nosed kid who will go 100% at all times and do everything you ask of him. He's going to work his butt off for the team and they were short players last year so he'll at minimum fill that role.

For his career at SDSU he'll at worst make a fantastic practice player for the team and stay out of trouble. At best, he'll eventually see a few minutes off the bench as a back-up PG role and play some defense.

He's a walk-on. Can't ask for much more than that. Seems like a good kid. Welcome and best of luck to him.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          This kid is what you consider a 'true' walk-on. Hard nosed kid who will go 100% at all times and do everything you ask of him. He's going to work his butt off for the team and they were short players last year so he'll at minimum fill that role.

For his career at SDSU he'll at worst make a fantastic practice player for the team and stay out of trouble. At best, he'll eventually see a few minutes off the bench as a back-up PG role and play some defense.

He's a walk-on. Can't ask for much more than that. Seems like a good kid. Welcome and best of luck to him.
          According to this article he will be a "practice player" or redshirt walk-on like Carlson.

http://www.brookfieldnow.com/sports/120778169.html

Olson, a two-year starter at point guard for coach Mark Adam, will automatically make the team and suit up for all home games, but can't play or can't travel on the road.

If Olson eventually doesn't make the team, he can always transfer and will still have four years of eligibility left.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Carlson had a scholarship waiting for him after his redshirt year, I don't believe this kid has that. He is like Corey Jacobson & Payton Tivis in that he will have to earn his way to a scholarship but can help the team in practice and possibly limited minutes.

I wonder if Coach is having trouble recruiting a PG because they don't want to sit behind Wolters for the next 2 years and that's why we're adding the two walk-on PG's that we have.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              I wonder if Coach is having trouble recruiting a PG because they don't want to sit behind Wolters for the next 2 years and that's why we're adding the two walk-on PG's that we have.
              That seems reasonable, and its a shame they do not value the free education that they would get being on the bench or on the floor. I guess you have to be real old like me to figure that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                That seems reasonable, and its a shame they do not value the free education that they would get being on the bench or on the floor. I guess you have to be real old like me to figure that out.
                Right right old folks know everything, you probably have a jitterbug. Really surprised you know what the internet is.

Comment

Did it occur to you that maybe they're valuing their free education at a school where they can get some more playing time?
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Did it occur to you that maybe they're valuing their free education at a school where they can get some more playing time?
                    ++++++++
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I guess I got told.

Comment

I guess I got told.
                        You're just being a selfish Jacks fan. We all get that way sometimes.

Comment

If the Jacks don't sign anyone this spring,we would have 5 or 6 scholarships available next year (is the limit 13 or 14 ?). You would think if one of the walk-ons shows anything,they would have a good chance at a scholarship in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            If the Jacks don't sign anyone this spring,we would have 5 or 6 scholarships available next year (is the limit 13 or 14 ?). You would think if one of the walk-ons shows anything,they would have a good chance at a scholarship in the future.
                            13 is the mens limit.

I think getting walk-ons are win/win and low risk. As far as PG's, a D-II talent who can dribble good, and shoot decent can see the court at the PG position, where at other spots that is less of a possibility.

Terry mentioned today that they are not going to fill a spot just to fill a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              13 for men,15 for women

Having 5 scholarships available would not be good.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                                13 for men,15 for women

Having 5 scholarships available would not be good.
                                Or get the right recruits and it could be a great thing. Just call me half full on this topic. a lot of programs don't max out scholarships.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X