Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by witness View Post
    I believe Greg Kampe(correct if I'm wrong) once said, "If we sign every kid we recruit, than we aren't recruiting the right players."
    I believe that even though we lost on coughill, it means that we are recruiting good players for our program but we can't get every recruit.
    If we make it to the dance a couple years than we will start getting recruits like Baker and Coughill
    My take exactly.

Comment

I wonder what the ratio is . . . how many you have to recruit hard in order to land a quality player. Is it five to one? Ten to one? How many do you have to offer to on average to get a kid to sign? Five to one? Ten to one?

It may be that our coaching staff is still trying to hit that target--and it's a moving target, depending on lots of factors, few of which are under the coaches' control.

All I know is that it's a job I'd be really, really, really bad at . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        I wonder what the ratio is . . . how many you have to recruit hard in order to land a quality player. Is it five to one? Ten to one? How many do you have to offer to on average to get a kid to sign? Five to one? Ten to one?

It may be that our coaching staff is still trying to hit that target--and it's a moving target, depending on lots of factors, few of which are under the coaches' control.

All I know is that it's a job I'd be really, really, really bad at . . .
        I'd guess between 3-1/5-1 for kids you actually recruit hard. Visit, they show interest type of recruit. probably over 10-1 for actual offers at one time. For the recruiting class this year SDSU had offers out for a ACC recruit, big 10 recruit, 2 SEC recruits, Horizon recruit, Moutain West recruit, Conference USA, and now a Missouri Valley recruit. And thats just the ones that are known. I'm guessing that many other either high recruits or low recruits have had offers at one time in their recruiting process.

Comment

I think it takes a lot of time for everything to sift out.Bigger schools play the game of offering more people scholarships than they actually have also.So, like airlines "over booking" flights,some recruits are bumped out and have to continue searching for a scholarship somewhere.

In the end,all the schools get players, just not the ones they'd have rather had.Some recruiting years are better than others,just the way things happen.It can come down to something as trivial as what the weather was like on a particular day a recruit was on a visit.

It would be nice though, to enhance our chances as much as possible in the realm of recruiting , if we could get the support of the BOR and go ahead with the plans to "up grade" athletic facilities.

Comment

I would love to hear Cadsev's thoughts on SDSUs recruiting this year for 2011? Also, what kids are 'up and comers' around this area?
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              I would love to hear Cadsev's thoughts on SDSUs recruiting this year for 2011? Also, what kids are 'up and comers' around this area?
              I'm not CADSEV, but hey what the heck, I've claimed to know more then him in the past

up and comers.

Well the 2 to watch out for are the Pierre guys. Layne Severyn 6"4" and Zach Hanson 6'8" They have SDSU offers.

Other then that? its anyones guess for in state talent. There is a Schilling from Ellsworth Minnesota that the Jacks are recruiting.

For 2012 some have mentioned Skye Warwick from St. Thomas More. He is a 6'1" shooter, I don't see him as a Jackrabbit but some have stated he could.

Zach Kraning is also a name that we have heard and to keep an eye out for. I've heard guys say he is nothing but when you are 6'9"/6'10" player you will always be looked at. He has struggled in the past and many thought he lacked aggression but he had Cory Jacobson and a good overall team along with him, will wonder how he responds with being the guy next year for them.

As far as what the Jacks have already? In state they have 2 of the 3 best recruits in the state. They have 2, 2,000 point scorers. I believe (and it could be wrong because I heard it at a bar) but there is something like only 20 some that have scored over 2,000 points in SDHS boys basketball.

Comment

I appreciate the post Joeboo. Cadsev was 'online' at the time and I wanted to see if I could catch him.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Here is a recruit that just verballed today as a preferred walk on. Has anyone seen this young man play?

"Brookfield Central senior guard Alex Olson, a first-team All-Greater Metro Conference and NOW Newspapers All-Suburban selection accepted a preferred walk-on position at South Dakota State University." He is a point guard. Welcome, Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    I appreciate the post Joeboo. Cadsev was 'online' at the time and I wanted to see if I could catch him.
                    o I didn't see that...

In my defense I heard him on the radio a couple of weeks ago and he basically said everything that I stated.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                      Here is a recruit that just verballed today as a preferred walk on. Has anyone seen this young man play?

"Brookfield Central senior guard Alex Olson, a first-team All-Greater Metro Conference and NOW Newspapers All-Suburban selection accepted a preferred walk-on position at South Dakota State University." He is a point guard. Welcome, Alex.
                      here is the website http://www.brookfieldnow.com/sports/120778169.html

Brookfield is a town west of Milwaukee Wisconsin.

I assume its correct. Any time you get a walk-on its little risk, high reward. Also from the sound of it, he will red-shirt, saying he will suit up for home games but not travel with the team.

This might be his tape? Its an Alex Olson from a Brookfield Central http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaVb962-iw0

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post

Zach Showalter was the POY this year on that same All-Suburban team . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think from the signs given from the coaching staff they would like to get into the Milwaukee, Chicago area in terms of recruitment. Over the past 5 years have we had a recruit come out of either metro area? With a recruit coming out of Chicago and from this report a walk-on from the Milwaukee metro, it could help with future recruitment of the area. Now I said the same thing about the Denver area a few years ago when we had 2 recruits and they both have since transfered and we haven't gone back. Though the CMA is a lot larger then the DMA

Comment

http://www.wbby.com/wbby.asp?pageID=328

2010 WBY Summer Tournament in Plymouth

All-Tournament Team (In alphabetical order)

Alex Olson, 6-1, PG, Class of 2011, Brookfield Central – As competitive and hard-nosed as they come, Olson led Brookfield Central to a 2-2 record with his ability to score, find teammates and defend. Olson is the heart and soul for a Brookfield Central squad many expect to contend for the Greater Metro Conference title next winter.

http://www.wbby.com/wbby.asp?pageID=325

Alex Olson, 6-1, WG, Sr., Brookfield Central
                            Competes with an edge on both ends of the court … Made perimeter shots and also used his strength, aggressiveness and quickness to get to the hoop and finish … Used toughness and lateral quickness to keep opponents away from the basket … Never seemed to run out of energy or mental toughness … Earned honorable mention all-league honors in the Greater Metro Conference as a junior.

Comment

Looks like a great get!
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

watching his highlight video (and yes anyone can look good with a highlight video so I don't take much stock in one). But he looks like a good overall point guard. Saw the court well, played good defense and can shoot. A little undersized and maybe a 1/2 step slow but for a walk-on a good find.

Does anybody know what class this is comparable to in South Dakota. Looked like high A basketball but that is just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X