2011 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Wow, that's a big blow. I thought we had a good shot, especially since UW-Green Bay already has 7 footer Alec Brown.

I guess it's back to the drawing board. As Coach Nagy said earlier, there are alot of good players that have yet to sign.

Comment

I think it had to do with the system. SDSU runs and hes not the running type.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        I think it had to do with the system. SDSU runs and hes not the running type.

I don't agree with this. It's because UWGB is in a better league with better basketball.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          I don't agree with this. It's because UWGB is in a better league with better basketball.
          Obviously I have no idea what played into his decision to choose UWGB. The above comment could be a part of it. And UWGB has an absolutely beautiful arena and practice facility. Facilities should be a small part of a player's decision, but there is a noticeable difference.

Comment

I don't know why he chose UW-GB, but the Horizon League is still a 1 bid league, and other then Butler over the past 5 years no one is generally ranked in the league either. The travel is a little bit better then Summit but not much better.

All what I'm saying is its not Big-10 ball, it is a mid-major league.

Comment

@ryanjamesmn is also reporting that T.J. Oakafor has signed a LOI to play at Minnesota State-Mankato. He never had a (known) offer from SDSU but was mentioned as showing interest.

Comment

Personally, I think he just wanted the opportunity to lose to Butler twice a year

I wish the young man the best and I'm sure he went with his gut. Of course, we could have used him but I also have a feeling that Nagy's coaching style may have not been compatible with him. If it's not a right fit, there's no need to add someone that could possibly become toxic to the locker room.

Comment

Damn.

Damn Damn Damn.

Damnit. Damn.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

This was a bad loss IMO. Let's not do the Bisonville thing and have twenty posts of excuses on why he didn't sign or wouldn't have worked (i.e wrong system, bad grades, didn't want to compete for playing time, bad chemistry, etc, etc, etc.)

From the sound of things, we had most of our eggs in this basket, and it didn't work out. I hope there are other options for JUCO bigs that are still available.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      This was a bad loss IMO. Let's not do the Bisonville thing and have twenty posts of excuses on why he didn't sign or wouldn't have worked (i.e wrong system, bad grades, didn't want to compete for playing time, bad chemistry, etc, etc, etc.)

From the sound of things, we had most of our eggs in this basket, and it didn't work out. I hope there are other options for JUCO bigs that are still available.
                      I wasn't saying it as an excuse, just thinking that with the coaching ties between Kirkwood & UWGB that he probably believed that system would fit better then SDSU's. I still would have liked to have got him.

I'm sure there are other guys out there, it appeared that with them bringing both the Zachs who had already signed LOI's in that they were making a big push for him. It is a tough loss, would have been a good get, the one thing that surprised me though was the lack of interest he garnered. This was a guy who had a ton of offers out of hs, lit up a bunch of AAU tournaments, played good at Kirkwood, and yet only made 2 visits?

But as far as all eggs in a basket that is a little extreme, they are out recruiting, they have other guys. Brennan was their #1 target, but they have 1A, 1B, 1C and on down the line after that.

I know they were at the D-I JuCo national tournament so my guess is they are targeting on of those guys, (Cougill was D-II, Crayton's team didn't make it)

Comment

Until the decision is final and offical, there is still a ray of hope.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          Damn.

Damn Damn Damn.

Damnit. Damn.
                          Is that a damn haiku?
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Dang. We fans had probably projected Cougill to be a better player than he actually is. Still, it would have been nice to land him. This gives me another reason to hate the Packers.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Jacks need to find a way to start winning some of these recruiting battles. Another season without a "Big Body" in the middle and allowing players to play in their natural positions will make it tough to advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                Dang. We fans had probably projected Cougill to be a better player than he actually is. Still, it would have been nice to land him. This gives me another reason to hate the Packers.
                                That's probably a fair assessment. There's no doubt the kid can play (not everyone wins the Mr. Basketball award in Iowa....), but I also don't think he would have been the savior #5 we're looking for. I would consider him bigger-bodied, less athletic version of Dykstra. Cougill can shoot well for a big guy, but isn't a grind-it-out type like Will Hudson from Oakland. Still, he would have been a great asset to the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X