2011 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Gotta love a SD this good willing to walk on.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
      Gotta love a SD this good willing to walk on.
      Between DWU and Briar Cliff. SDSU is obviously a step up. Good luck to Mr. Jacobsen. Why wasn't Boots in this hunt? Is it because no slots available for his position at USD? Little curious here. Also why did Augie pass on this candidate? Okay self proclaimed analysts speak away.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Between DWU and Briar Cliff. SDSU is obviously a step up. Good luck to Mr. Jacobsen. Why wasn't Boots in this hunt? Is it because no slots available for his position at USD? Little curious here. Also why did Augie pass on this candidate? Okay self proclaimed analysts speak away.
        It is clear he has NAIA skills at this point, so I am glad we didn't offer him a scholarship. We only have 13 scholarships - the max for NCAA D-I schools so you need a couple of walk-ons and as walk-ons go he looks good. His dad is a Jackrabbit so when the kid turns down a NAIA scholarship to walk-on at the D-I level it is not surprising that he looks to SDSU and it appears that Scott is going to give him a chance.

Good stuff in my book

Comment

In the posted video his coach said he was a 60% three point shooter as a junior. Hopefully he can turn into a shooting threat off the bench for us. I highly doubt he'll ever be a starter or see a ton of a minutes, but if he can play a role like that he's worth taking a look at.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            yeah, but hes a kid who as a sophomore had SDSU, NDSU and other schools sending for information, scouting him in the summer. Both were very close to offering. A kid who played on a good team as a junior then went up to class A with a new coach and a new COOP and played well again as a senior.

He is a little undersized, but has a high ceiling for a walk-on.

Comment

First, some players just bloom later than others (I think there were some posters who wondered if Brayden Carlson would ever contribute). Second, coaching and working with other high caliber players can enrich the possibilities for a walk-on. And bottom line, SDSU gets a pretty good basketball player for free (if he can improve enough, the right to be a scholarship player), can redshirt him and see how things develop, and get another good player to add to the practice squad. Somes like a win-win situation to me. Look forward to having you on the squad Cory!

Comment

If we had other players who walked on who were good enough to get a schollie and contribute, Jacobsen surely can. As long as we gives on the D side of things his shooting is good enough to get him some minutes.....again as long as he gives on the D side of things.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

[QUOTE=joeboo22;177532]yeah, but hes a kid who as a sophomore had SDSU, NDSU and other schools sending for information, scouting him in the summer. Both were very close to offering. A kid who played on a good team as a junior then went up to class A with a new coach and a new COOP and played well again as a senior.

Accurate- except for the "new" coach part.
                  He went 5-7 from 3 in the state championship game. He is very dedicated and an extremely competitive kid. Academic All-State as well.

Comment

According to Stu Whitney's twitter, Jacobsen had an injured shoulder this season. (my guess it was probably from football as he was all-state and had a walk-on offer from Coach Stig)

His senior season wasn't as good as people were expecting and maybe he would have had better offers if not for playing with the injury.

I look at a player like Oakland's Travis Bader and think to myself, there is a room for a player like Jacobsen in D1. Obviously I'm not expecting for Jacobsen to be able to do what Bader did but maybe come in and be what Payton Tivis was for SDSU but with more 3-point shooting.

Comment

[QUOTE=trueblue;177564]
                      Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      yeah, but hes a kid who as a sophomore had SDSU, NDSU and other schools sending for information, scouting him in the summer. Both were very close to offering. A kid who played on a good team as a junior then went up to class A with a new coach and a new COOP and played well again as a senior.

Accurate- except for the "new" coach part.
                      He went 5-7 from 3 in the state championship game. He is very dedicated and an extremely competitive kid. Academic All-State as well.
                      I thought Kraning was their coach when it was just Viborg? Well I'm sorry then, I thought they went with Hurley's coaching staff with the switch. My bad, my memory is slipping me with my old age.

Comment

Coach Nagy is in Houston for the Final Four, I believe the conference has meetings there. According to a ? & answer with Coach through the Argus they haven't had any recruits on campus due to logistics, sounds like the plan is to have a few in the coming weeks on official visits. Don't expect any news until or after the late signing period starts.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ll|text|Home|s

Comment

update on Brennan Cougill- seems to be waiting somewhat for Iowa. SD-State and UW-GB have offered; Valpo and Colorado State are also recruiting him (Colton Iverson will be visiting Colorado State in the near future)

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/03/29/co...hawkeye-offer/

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            update on Brennan Cougill- seems to be waiting somewhat for Iowa. SD-State and UW-GB have offered; Valpo and Colorado State are also recruiting him (Colton Iverson will be visiting Colorado State in the near future)

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/03/29/co...hawkeye-offer/
                            Based on the comments section after the article,Hawkeye fans aren't too excited about Cougill's possible return.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Based on the comments section after the article,Hawkeye fans aren't too excited about Cougill's possible return.
                              It seems to me that he doesn't fit into Fran McCaffery's system very well. He's a wide body, probably isn't super athletic. McCaffery wants to press and run and shoot the three. He needs big guys, but probably more in the mold of a Keith Benson.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I hope that Colorado St. pursues Colton Iverson and therefore does not offer Cougil. Getting Cougil would be big for SDSU. He fits the inside/outside style of play SDSU has going for it.

Cougil needs come here where he is wanted. Colorado St. probably wants to explore other options and then if everything else falls through would look at Cougil.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X