2011 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Winner plays against Viborg/Hurley at 8:45 on Thursday. I believe the State A class tournament is on TV this year on PBS. So if you wanna watch Hortsman I would tune in

Comment

Appears we are still waiting on decisions by Washpun, Crayton and Cougill. If we could get the trifecta and then redshirt Horstman and Washpun we would be set up well for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
        Winner plays against Viborg/Hurley at 8:45 on Thursday. I believe the State A class tournament is on TV this year on PBS. So if you wanna watch Hortsman I would tune in
        I might go to that, depends if I have to go to my friends "shotgun" wedding or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
          A good game to watch with both Hortsman and 2012 recruit Zach Kraning playing.

Comment

Hmm . . . did the thread merge work?

Oh. Never mind. 2012 recruit threads merged, not 2011. Duh. Winning.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              A good game to watch with both Hortsman and 2012 recruit Zach Kraning playing.
              Has Kraning been extended an offer? I don't think his arc has gone much like many expected from when he was a Frosh. I haven't heard too many glowing reviews of his play this last year.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                Has Kraning been extended an offer? I don't think his arc has gone much like many expected from when he was a Frosh. I haven't heard too many glowing reviews of his play this last year.
                I'm not sure if SDSU has offered Kraning or not. If I remember right, we have offered the two sophomores from Pierre so that's another tourney game to keep tabs on.

Comment

I'm not sure if SDSU has offered Kraning or not. If I remember right, we have offered the two sophomores from Pierre so that's another tourney game to keep tabs on.
                  no they haven't offered, hes only a junior. I don't see him being offered but his game is what it is, he has good players around him and his job is to block the paint and rebound on defense and to set picks and pass on offense.

If I'm not mistaken not to many people were overtly impressed with Reiner's game before his senior year.

Horstman had a great game tonight, they lost, but you have to realize they don't win 5 games without Horstman. Viborg ran some gimmick/junk defenses on him and he still put up 24.

Liam Duffy from STM is probably the second best player in the tournament, I think he threw 3 down in the first game and can stroke the 3, still don't think he is a D-I recruit though. (But what do I know)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    no they haven't offered, hes only a junior. I don't see him being offered but his game is what it is, he has good players around him and his job is to block the paint and rebound on defense and to set picks and pass on offense.

If I'm not mistaken not to many people were overtly impressed with Reiner's game before his senior year.

Horstman had a great game tonight, they lost, but you have to realize they don't win 5 games without Horstman. Viborg ran some gimmick/junk defenses on him and he still put up 24.

Liam Duffy from STM is probably the second best player in the tournament, I think he threw 3 down in the first game and can stroke the 3, still don't think he is a D-I recruit though. (But what do I know)
                    What was gimmick/junk with the V/H defense? Full court man-man and match-up zone were the only two defenses played.

Comment

I was impressed with Hortsman last night, he's going to be a very good player in the Summit. He played point guard on offense and guarded the center, 6'9" Kraning on defense.

The best way I could describe him is a combination of Chad White's size with Nate Wolters smoothness and a vertical game similar to Dale Moss. (not as explosive as Dale, but can finish above the rim)
                      He showed a good skill set with an excellent handle and an effortless shot. My only criticism is that he's going to need to add some weight and play more physical. The one thing Jacks really seem to be missing is some toughness and players willing to bang and get the close shot. Zach isn't going to solve that problem, more of a perimeter oriented player.

I didn't come away with a good impression of Viborg's Kraning. He's going to have to improve to play D1 ball as he's not there yet.
                      The good thing is that you can't teach size and he has it. It's hard to find 6'9" players that are relatively coordinated or that aren't rail thin.
                      The bad news, it's hard to teach basketball IQ and aggressiveness. Didn't show any real effort to make a play all night and just took what came to him.
                      Maybe this is the kind of big man that is in SDSUs reach though. More skilled players at his size end up in the Big 10, not the Summit. SDSU might not be able to land true posts unless they are a project and take a couple years to develop. The tools are there with Kraning, just not the motor you'd like to see.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                        What was gimmick/junk with the V/H defense? Full court man-man and match-up zone were the only two defenses played.
                        I should have clarified it wasn't a box and 1 or a true junk defense but they were switching packing the middle, matching up on him at half court, and played a really good defense.

Viborg/Hurley played great defense, packed the middle, picked Horstman straight up. I should have used a better term then junk defense.

Comment

I didn't come away with a good impression of Viborg's Kraning. He's going to have to improve to play D1 ball as he's not there yet.
                          The good thing is that you can't teach size and he has it. It's hard to find 6'9" players that are relatively coordinated or that aren't rail thin.
                          The bad news, it's hard to teach basketball IQ and aggressiveness. Didn't show any real effort to make a play all night and just took what came to him.
                          Maybe this is the kind of big man that is in SDSUs reach though. More skilled players at his size end up in the Big 10, not the Summit. SDSU might not be able to land true posts unless they are a project and take a couple years to develop. The tools are there with Kraning, just not the motor you'd like to see.
                          You are right about developing big players - watching the Oakland game and learned that Benson only averaged 4 points/game as a high school senior. Now Detroit Country Day is a few steps above Viborg-Hurley,but it still shows you need some luck to find the diamonds in the rough

Comment

• Re: 2011 Recruits

Zach Horstman named Gatorade Player of the Year for SD.

Comment

• Re: 2011 Recruits

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Zach Horstman named Gatorade Player of the Year for SD.
                              What weight class does Horstman wrestle? He must be a heckuva athlete.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

SDSU's newest offer is SG Ron Baker from Scott City, Kansas.

Here's a quick write up on what I could find
                                http://jackrabbitden.com/post/3963818013/sg-ron-baker

and here is his rivals page
                                http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...ollege_choices

Comment

Working...
                                X