Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
    Jermaine Showers was not a juco- he was brought in as a freshman in the same class as Tom Rops. Can't remember for sure if Hughes was juco- know he spent some time at either New Mexico or New Mexico State.
    Hughes was a D1 transfer and a waste in my opinion. No one moons the opposing crowd after losing a game. Soderberg bite on bringing him with one year of eligibilty left, and he just did not fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      I'm not high on the JUCO route, and know that Nagy has always preferred to bring in freshmen and bring them up through his system. But sometimes you have to look at the situation, and the one we have right now is that we will have only 8 players back from this year's team next fall, and we only have two announced recruits. We've got some room, and we've got some need and I hope we can find somebody who will help make this team better the next couple of years.
      100% agree. build a program from FR but suppliment that program with transfers and JC kids. Jermaine Showers came from the state of Wisc as a fr 93 - 96 and still ranks 9th in all time scoring with 1399 pts. But how quickly we all forget about the significant roll some of our JC and or transfers played in out past. Juriad hughes 93 was a D1 transfer and a failure. Good player did not fit in. But, let me go back and list just a few.
      In the 90's Greg Himler, Mike Schot, Matt Wallace, Casey Walker, Chris Counts, Chris White. In the 80's, Bill Cartwright? Craig Jenkins, Darrick Wardlaw, Arvis Young and on and on. Not all JC or transfers are bad. When one fails they seem to dominate the conversation concerning their value.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
        Jermaine Showers was not a juco- he was brought in as a freshman in the same class as Tom Rops. Can't remember for sure if Hughes was juco- know he spent some time at either New Mexico or New Mexico State.
        Correct. Showers was awesome. Started as a freshman, if I remember correctly.

Hughes was a DI transfer from New Mexico, and never seemed to fit in. Tremendously talented, but probably his biggest problem was... he wasn't Chris White.

And that's who people thought he was replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
          If your a big man and see Nate Wolters dishing out the # of assists that he does why wouldn't you want to sign with the Jacks.
          I think that part of the issue with being a big looking at SDSU is the fact that, right now, the Jacks are a perimeter based offense. Granted, this has mainly been because of the cards that were dealt us, but some players don't really look at the reason. They just see the results.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            I think that part of the issue with being a big looking at SDSU is the fact that, right now, the Jacks are a perimeter based offense. Granted, this has mainly been because of the cards that were dealt us, but some players don't really look at the reason. They just see the results.
            I don't know if I agree completely. Dykstra scored twenty points in one half the other night, and didn't take a shot from outside of about 5 feet (besides the free throws that resulted from said shots). If we have a big, he'll get the chance to score down low.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              I don't know if I agree completely. Dykstra scored twenty points in one half the other night, and didn't take a shot from outside of about 5 feet (besides the free throws that resulted from said shots). If we have a big, he'll get the chance to score down low.
              Not all of his inside looks came from a classic post up and an entry pass, though. A lot of his moves start with him having the ball outside of 15 feet and either driving or getting himself into the post. Not a lot of players can do that.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Not all of his inside looks came from a classic post up and an entry pass, though. A lot of his moves start with him having the ball outside of 15 feet and either driving or getting himself into the post. Not a lot of players can do that.
                If my memory serves me right, most of his catches in the WIU game were on the block with his back to the basket - it was different than usual. In fact, my group I was sitting with discussed his ability to play with his back to the basket because of that fact.

In most other games, I think you are right on. A lot of his points come from a face up game rather than traditional post moves/entry.

Back to the question at hand, I don't think Nagy's offensive philosophy limits the ability of a 5 to score. In fact, I think if Nagy had it his way his offense would run through the 5 more than it currently does.

Comment

If my memory serves me right, most of his catches in the WIU game were on the block with his back to the basket - it was different than usual. In fact, my group I was sitting with discussed his ability to play with his back to the basket because of that fact.

In most other games, I think you are right on. A lot of his points come from a face up game rather than traditional post moves/entry.

Back to the question at hand, I don't think Nagy's offensive philosophy limits the ability of a 5 to score. In fact, I think if Nagy had it his way his offense would run through the 5 more than it currently does.
                  My recollection was that he did have a few where he started facing the basket and then backed his way in after a dribble move and a few where the ball was entered to him while he was posted up.

Fiegen had several catches in the post with his back to the basket that he converted or nearly converted in the first half.

Nagy wants this team to get the ball inside when its feasible, reasonable to do so. Most any coach does as that sets up the driving lanes and opens up the outside game. In addition, it draws defenders to the post and opens up the weak side for offensive rebounds.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I also noticed that he did things differently. I think he adjusted his play to the whistle happy refs and in doing so he got one big to foul out and two more to earn four fouls. He is a great player and once he gets more consistent he'll be a threat every night. It would be nice to see a new big man down there with him but you have to remember we still have Heemstra and Fiegen who are very young.

Comment

The current offense does have looks to go inside. Most of the time it does go inside, the ball gets passed back out because the look for the post shooter might not be in our favor. Jordan seemed to get about half his looks from starting in the paint and the other half were from a little farther out. He does have a nice mid-range shot so he can use that against the other teams big man. I did like the aggressiveness he showed my making the drives to the lane when it was there. I agree with your comment about the offense looking really good towards recruiting guards, but it can easily be tweeked to fit in an actual downlow post.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Love the discussion about this year's post play, but let's focus this thread on who may be coming in this fall, either JUCO or frosh. Thanks.

Comment

I wrote up a blog post on some players the jacks are looking into for the 2011 season.

http://jackrabbitden.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                            I wrote up a blog post on some players the jacks are looking into for the 2011 season.

Great stuff! Do you do Twitter? If so, put your name up here to follow.

I can say that if SDSU would happen to get Cougill or Washpun they would be great gets! The Washpun kid wants to go to Iowa, but is waiting on an offer. Hopefully they hold out and SDSu can steal one. He'd be a great addition! Cougill would probably send SDSU to the dance next year, but he has some grade issues to figure out.

PS- You should center the "Jackrabbit Den" on the page
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Good stuff Mitchell. I say take all three and make a charge for the dance the next two years!

Comment

Really good stuff. This is the kind of material that makes this board so fun and valuable. I used to do a lot of research and subscribe to the recruiting websites and glad to see someone continue that passion! PROPS!

Comment

Working...
                                X