Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by goon View Post
    So I am not the only one out of the loop?
    I'm out of the loop on this one as well, but did find in the SD Sports Talk forum he is out because of a "training violation".

I don't know what that means, but I hope this young man has begun to get things in life figured out.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      I'm out of the loop on this one as well, but did find in the SD Sports Talk forum he is out because of a "training violation".

I don't know what that means, but I hope this young man has begun to get things in life figured out.
      Use of an illegal substance that justified dismissal from the team. I've been aware of it for some time now. It is being handled by the appropriate authorities and will work itself out in time. I think this young man deserves the benefit of doubt and I think proceeding with caution as it pertains to his future is merited as well.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Mark O of KDLT sports put together a real nice segment on SDSU recruit Zach Horstman's high school career and that he was taking his talents to SDSU. Zach commented that he was really working hard to improve his ball handling for the next level.

Mark and KDLT seem do a nice job of covering SDSU.
        Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
          Mark O of KDLT sports put together a real nice segment on SDSU recruit Zach Horstman's high school career and that he was taking his talents to SDSU. Zach commented that he was really working hard to improve his ball handling for the next level.

Mark and KDLT seem do a nice job of covering SDSU.
          http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option...temid=58#video

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
            I'm guessing here that Josh Monroy is not going to be playing college basketball as he is not out this year with the Govs.
            Josh is not playing high school basketball. But....I heard from a very reliable source just tonight, that he is still getting calls from some D1 schools. Kansas was one that had called just this past week. It was suggested that he go to a JuCo first, to work on grades and his game, and redshirt his first year, then transfer after two years. That is pretty much verbatim from my source. You've got to realize that this young TALL kid didn't play basketball until he was in the 9th grade and has not ever completed a full season of basketball due to injuries.
            When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by 67jack View Post
              Josh is not playing high school basketball. But....I heard from a very reliable source just tonight, that he is still getting calls from some D1 schools. Kansas was one that had called just this past week. It was suggested that he go to a JuCo first, to work on grades and his game, and redshirt his first year, then transfer after two years. That is pretty much verbatim from my source. You've got to realize that this young TALL kid didn't play basketball until he was in the 9th grade and has not ever completed a full season of basketball due to injuries.
              67jack - Where's your evil lil' smiley like on sdsportstalk?

On topic, I hope Monroy gets a shot to play college basketball. Sounds like he's been through a lot and would have to overcome obstacles to get to that point.

Comment

Has anyone heard any more about JUCO recruits for the 2011 class? I have heard Cougill from SC Heelan to Iowa to Kirkwood has an offer, but have you heard of anything else? It's hard to find information on them.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                  Has anyone heard any more about JUCO recruits for the 2011 class? I have heard Cougill from SC Heelan to Iowa to Kirkwood has an offer, but have you heard of anything else? It's hard to find information on them.
                  theres a kid from I think Sheridon College in Wyoming that has an offer. They played an exabition at BHSU and I watched them play, don't remember him specifically but do remember that they had a very athletic team.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    theres a kid from I think Sheridon College in Wyoming that has an offer. They played an exabition at BHSU and I watched them play, don't remember him specifically but do remember that they had a very athletic team.
                    I was not aware of this. At least I don't think I was/am.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

When I looked up their roster, and click on Jarrell Crayton's bio, the picture seemed like one I had seen before. I have no clue why else I would have looked up this picture, as I didn't even know there was a Sheridan College prior to today. Heck, I could have been finding information about someting else, but the bio and picture seem familiar.

http://www.scgenerals.com/mbball/10/jarrell.asp

Edit: And looking at Mitchell's 2011 Recruiting List Thread, found here: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...904....Crayton is listed as having an offer.

Thanks for the heads up joeboo.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                        When I looked up their roster, and click on Jarrell Crayton's bio, the picture seemed like one I had seen before. I have no clue why else I would have looked up this picture, as I didn't even know there was a Sheridan College prior to today. Heck, I could have been finding information about someting else, but the bio and picture seem familiar.

http://www.scgenerals.com/mbball/10/jarrell.asp
                        I've seen the picture before as well. Time to do a little searching.

Comment

Here is a link.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...Crayton-120732

Provided by mitchell here:

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ton#post167598

I had forgotten about him. I'm not a big fan of the JUCO route for a variety of reasons but would consider taking a shot on a big guy as long as it doesn't jeopardize our recruitment of true freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            Here is a link.

I had forgotten about him. I'm not a big fan of the JUCO route for a variety of reasons but would consider taking a shot on a big guy as long as it doesn't jeopardize our recruitment of true freshman.

Looks like we're going against a lot of other competition.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Here is a link.

I think we need to look for a post that can provide help soon during the two years that Nate will have left - he is too good to not surround him with immediate help,and a good JUCO would do that best,if one can be signed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                I think we need to look for a post that can provide help soon during the two years that Nate will have left - he is too good to not surround him with immediate help,and a good JUCO would do that best,if one can be signed.
                                I don't disagree but its got to be just right. The right kid, the right timing to give up a freshman scholarship, the right team chemistry, etc... Its not as easy as finding a big, warm body with some experience.

I can tell you from experience, a high school recruit looking at a program that has a history of bringing in JUCO's or transfers doesn't ignore that fact. It definitely comes with a cost when you go the JUCO/transfer route. Doesn't mean it isn't worth the risk just realize that there is risk. Of course, there is risk when you take a high school kid too.

Comment

Working...
                                X