2011 recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Seems odd to post his GPA and ACT score. Maybe that site does those things with every prospect.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Seems odd to post his GPA and ACT score. Maybe that site does those things with every prospect.
      Yes I would think they would have checked this out with the student and his parents, before they published it.

A 2.9GPA beats anything I was ever graded on. I never took the ACT so don't have a comparable number. His ACT appears he is a couple points short for a guaraneteed academic scholarship which I believe is 24, but if he works hard I am sure this young man will represent us on and off the court in a honorable manner.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Its somewhat unusual but I see it posted a lot with high major recruits. I think it has to do with being eligible right out of high school. There is a formula with GPA + ACT and it has to be so high other wise you are not eligible out of high school. I believe that was the reason Cordova wasn't available his freshman year.

To be admitted into a South Dakota school you have to have an 18 ACT, and have either a high school diploma or equivalent. You can get in on a 17 but there is a lot more hoops you have to hop through.

To be eligible for the guarantee scholarship that the state gives out you must have a 24 ACT

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          I had to smile when you first read saying one of the best long range shooters in the state. In my best Borat voice....very nice.

I think he will be a great fit. IF he is anything like the last combo guard we got from Ill he will be just fine.

Shooting guard is the point I am concerned about with this team after Sargent graduates. This should help. Hopfully we have enough depth to redshirt him and let him get some more muscle.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Lang verbals to UTEP according to Argus. Not sure if this has been posted before.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Oh well, can't win em all... NEXT.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                160 lbs is about as thin as they come...time to hit the weights young man.

ummmmm... pete maravich?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  ummmmm... pete maravich?
                  ...maybe a bit premature to compare this recruit to Pistol Pete?
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    Lang verbals to UTEP according to Argus. Not sure if this has been posted before.
                    Not good news. We're not going to keep the Colton Iverson's, Cody Larson's, and Joe Krabbenhofts in state when they have chances to play at high major schools in power conferences. But to be successful, we need to find a way to keep talented players like Lang in state versus leaving to play at other mid-major, low major, or mid level programs like UTEP.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      Not good news. We're not going to keep the Colton Iverson's, Cody Larson's, and Joe Krabbenhofts in state when they have chances to play at high major schools in power conferences. But to be successful, we need to find a way to keep talented players like Lang in state versus leaving to play at other mid-major, low major, or mid level programs like UTEP.
                      UTEP has a shot to be in the tournament all 4 years he's there. tough to turn that down.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        UTEP has a shot to be in the tournament all 4 years he's there. tough to turn that down.
                        He's also going to play for one of the dirtiest coaches in all of NCAA basketball. At least he's one that has gotten caught at both of the previous schools he was at. There are probably others that are dirtier (ie. Calapari @ Kentucky). Very dumb move on Mr. Lang's part regardless of where else he was considering.

Seriously, the NCAA needs stronly consider the penalties for NCAA infractions following the coaches, regardless of what school they go on to.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Seriously, the NCAA needs stronly consider the penalties for NCAA infractions following the coaches, regardless of what school they go on to.

Agreed

But the home institution must also bear some of the responsibility for allowing such actions.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            He's also going to play for one of the dirtiest coaches in all of NCAA basketball.
                            I was going to mention that too...

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              He would have "a shot" at the tournament all four years at SDSU too. And he could do it 45 minutes from his family and friends, qualifying for the tourney in his hometown of Sioux Falls, and wearing the name of his home state across his chest.

Regardless, my post wasn't a pot shot at Mr. Lang or an evaluation of where UTEP is as a program (standing alone or compared to SDSU). I just believe that in order to be as successful as a MBB program, we NEED to keep this level of player in SD and wearing yellow and blue.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                                I just believe that in order to be as successful as a MBB program, we NEED to keep this level of player in SD and wearing yellow and blue.
                                What qualifies this kid (Lang) as the 'level' of player we need to keep? Because he's got some size and he's from SD? I've seen him play several times. We can and will get a better prospect.
                                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Working...
                                X