Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    He's also going to play for one of the dirtiest coaches in all of NCAA basketball. At least he's one that has gotten caught at both of the previous schools he was at. There are probably others that are dirtier (ie. Calapari @ Kentucky). Very dumb move on Mr. Lang's part regardless of where else he was considering.

Seriously, the NCAA needs stronly consider the penalties for NCAA infractions following the coaches, regardless of what school they go on to.
    This may be our best shot at a transfer down the road. A coach without ethics, can help those programs who do have ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      What qualifies this kid (Lang) as the 'level' of player we need to keep? Because he's got some size and he's from SD? I've seen him play several times. We can and will get a better prospect.
      His high school stats (7.2 ppg and 5.3 rebounds ) certainly don't translate into "must keep" level - must have had a very good summer season.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        His high school stats (7.2 ppg and 5.3 rebounds ) certainly don't translate into "must keep" level - must have had a very good summer season.
        I agree, he would have been nice to get but I am not crushed that he went to UTEP.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          I agree, he would have been nice to get but I am not crushed that he went to UTEP.
          I'm ignorant and lazy when it comes to this issue. Did we offer this young man a scholarship?
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I'm ignorant and lazy when it comes to this issue. Did we offer this young man a scholarship?
            Yes.

Comment

Maybe he wanted to see another part of the country. Who knows why 18-year-olds do what they do? Good luck to him.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Here is a story on him from the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...17/1002/sports

Knights' Lang chooses UTEP

STU WHITNEYswhitney@argusleader.com • September 30, 2010

Playing college basketball close to home was not a major priority for O'Gorman senior Cedrick Lang.

So after visiting the University of Texas-El Paso last weekend and enjoying the experience, the 6-foot-8 senior center was ready to verbally commit to the Miners late Tuesday night.

"I was just really interested in everything they had to offer," said Lang, who averaged 7.2 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Knights last season as they won the Class AA title. . . . (read more)

Best of luck to Cedrick. I look forward to reading about our bigs when they commit.

Go State!

Comment

First person I have ever heard that actually liked El Paso. Comitting to that school seems to be more about a young man who was willing to go anywhere, but an in-state school. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Not good news. We're not going to keep the Colton Iverson's, Cody Larson's, and Joe Krabbenhofts in state when they have chances to play at high major schools in power conferences. But to be successful, we need to find a way to keep talented players like Lang in state versus leaving to play at other mid-major, low major, or mid level programs like UTEP.
                    While I agree with the general premise of your post, Conference USA is a much better league than the Summit and UTEP is a much better team than SDSU.

I can't help but wonder what impact Heemstra and Dykstra had on his decision. Its going to be hard to get other quality power forwards no matter where they're from if those two produce at the level we think they will.

We got the kid from Winner who all the experts are high on, Lang went out of state. Personally, if a SD kid is going to choose a different school than SDSU, I'd rather have him go to UTEP than to NDSU, USD, or UND.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

When seeing the father in law in Lampasas when I lived in San Diego I could not wait to get past El Paso. What a hole in the desert. Good luck dodgeing the bullets, bodies, and bombs from the other side of the border in Juarez. Also don't drink the water.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        While I agree with the general premise of your post, Conference USA is a much better league than the Summit and UTEP is a much better team than SDSU.
                        Completely agree. My point was that we need our program to be attractive enough (via success, other recruits, being in his home state, playing in his home town, etc.) to out weight the advantages of going out of state to a program that is somewhat better than us.

I'm not trying to say that Mr. Lang was THEE recruit we had to have.
                        I just think we need to win the battles for our home state kids against schools like UTEP, UW-Milwaukee, Montana, UC Irvine, Pacific, etc. because we aren't going to win them against Florida, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          What qualifies this kid (Lang) as the 'level' of player we need to keep? Because he's got some size and he's from SD? I've seen him play several times. We can and will get a better prospect.
                          I guess I would say his offer from Coach Nagy qualifies him as that "level" of player.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I find it dissappointing whenever we lose a player that we offer a scholarship too. I don't care if they live in Brookings, SD or Los Angeles, CA. Good luck to Cedric, I hope he has a good college career.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

"If we get every kid we recruit, we aren't recruiting the right kids."
                              -Craig Bohl

Don't care much for how he runs his program but this is a dynamite quote. You aren't going to get them all.

Comment

Does anyone know if we are looking at Josh Monroy from Pierre? He is a 7-2 225 lb. center from Pierre that didn't start baskerball until his freshman year. I have been told that he has greatly improved over the last year. He was out to Utah State University on a recruiting trip last weekend. USU is a very good mid major program and if they have interest Josh must have decent potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X