Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    anyone have any insight on who this could have been. I did some looking and its a real big dead time when it comes to 2011 recruiting. A lot of 2012 and 2013 elite tournaments are going on so the media is following them.

The only person I know SDSU has at least had contact with was Cody Joyce (the kid who committed to Marist before having the AD take away the scholarship due to being "over enrolled"). The talk was he would enter a "prep" school and reclassify for next year. And as far as I can tell a decision hasn't been made.

Since its a prep player it narrows the list quite a bit. Would also wonder if SDSU would even announce it if he did commit.
    There are some last minute unsigned 2011 camps (one this week in Vegas this week and I think one in AZ).... Not the only school looking for help - Iowa is short two as well. I think SDSU could possibly give up to 3?

Comment

I've been kind of bummed out that the coaching staff hasn't been able to bring in at least a backup 4 or 5. Maybe there's glimmer of hope yet.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        I've been kind of bummed out that the coaching staff hasn't been able to bring in at least a backup 4 or 5. Maybe there's glimmer of hope yet.
        I agree. Most of the area DII's have more size than the Jacks. I didn't say more talent. I just think its going to be very difficult to compete for a conference championship and trip to the big dance without more depth and rebounding abilty at the 4 and 5. Obviously we don't know what has been going on behind the scenes, but it seems we are reluctant to take a chance on the available Jucos or would have believed we would have some committs. Very frustrating to not take advantage of having scholarships available to boost the team and take advantage of an elite point guard.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          and if he can even show an ounce of athletic ability and the ability to stay healthy he will get D-I looks, because in the end you can't coach height/size.
          Heard from a pretty reliable source that Josh Monroy, Pierre's 7'2" kid that never did play a full season of basketball, is no longer on the team at Otero Jr. College. Cut for training violations. His college basketball career is over before it ever really started! Will keep his scholarship through the first semester and then will lose it. Pretty sad situation.
          Last edited by 67jack; 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM.
          When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by 67jack View Post
            Heard from a pretty reliable source than Josh Monroy, Pierre's 7'2" kid that never did play a full season of basketball, is no longer on the team at Otero Jr. College. Cut for training violations. His college basketball career is over before it ever really started! Will keep his scholarship through the first semester and then will lose it. Pretty sad situation.
            Not at all unexpected though.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
              Not at all unexpected though.
              Exactly. I visited at length with one of the coaches at Pierre that actually took Monroy into his home and tried to help him. If what he told me about his life is accurate it certainly isn't a surprise that he has behavioral issues. There are way too many situations almost exactly like this one, the difference here is that Josh is 7'2".
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I do wonder how many really tall kids play basketball because everybody wants/expects them to, not because they particularly like it. Not everybody's highest aspiration is to put an orange ball through an orange hoop hanging ten feet off of the ground.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Or how many that don't, only to have a well meaning coach, friend or family member push too hard to get them out for the sport.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Back in 2011, Ron Baker and Brennan Cougill came to town for a visit on the same weekend.

Here's an update on Mr Cougill:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...h-brian-wardle
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Back in 2011, Ron Baker and Brennan Cougill came to town for a visit on the same weekend.

Here's an update on Mr Cougill:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...h-brian-wardle
                      We dont have much here other than a CBS report. Its hard to say what is going on at UWGB. Ron Baker on the other hand has proven to be model student/athlete, a guy who would have looked great in a Jack Uniform. You do have to give credit to Cougill for standing up for the rights of others.

Comment

Working...
                      X