X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Platte will be tough at state, I believe Madison and SF Christian are in the same region.... I'd like to see SF Christian play Platte with 8 minute quarters rather then the 18 minute halves. I wasn't at the game but I talked to a few that where and they said Platte looked out of shape.... Also Johnson still in 100% for Platte....
    I was there and, it was a fun game to watch! Platte is really good and SF Christian played really well! Madison and SFC are inthe same region.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      My thoughts as well....

Plus, for the idea that NDSU may not be recruiting as well as they're playing right now, see this:

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/?blog=37855
      Plus, Kolpack and Hallstrom have been down on the rest of the Bison squad this season. And while NDSU's current conference record may have blunted that criticism somewhat, I think it's reasonably well founded.

Off-the-record comments about NDSU's recruiting have been more negative, and that's from a source everyone on this board would consider reliable, but one I can't name because the comments were made 'off the record'.
      NDSU's success is going to come down to that tournament in Sioux Falls in March. If they play decent basketball and get the the dance, then the season for them will be a success. If they don't make it, then it's a disappointment. That's the problem with being in a conference where we'll never get an automatic bid.
      Last edited by SDSUJack3031; 01-13-2009, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
        NDSU's success is going to come down to that tournament in Sioux Falls in March. If they play decent basketball and get the the dance, then the season/D-I transition for them will be a success. If they don't make it, then it's a disappointment. That's the problem with being in a conference where we'll never get an at-large bid.
        Other than the Jacks women's, nobody in this conference has shown that they can play even with top 25 teams each game. Therefore, no one is eligible for an at-large out of this conference.

Comment

NDSU's success is going to come down to that tournament in Sioux Falls in March. If they play decent basketball and get the the dance, then the season/D-I transition for them will be a success. If they don't make it, then it's a disappointment. That's the problem with being in a conference where we'll never get an automatic bid.
          Maybe the season wouldn't be a success but to call their entire D1 transition not a success would be quite a bit over the top.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            We may not know how good Tveidt is until next year.
            I think we know, I have watched Tveidt play for two years and he is clearly a talented basketball player. His length, athleticism, and shooting ability have caused more than a few teams problems.

NDSU's success is going to come down to that tournament in Sioux Falls in March. If they play decent basketball and get the the dance, then the season/D-I transition for them will be a success. If they don't make it, then it's a disappointment. That's the problem with being in a conference where we'll never get an automatic bid.
            The transition is already a success, just think back to where NDSU mens basketball was, the growth of the program has been something to watch. You are about the goal for this season though, it is NCAA tourney or bust.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              I think we know, I have watched Tveidt play for two years and he is clearly a talented basketball player. His length, athleticism, and shooting ability have caused more than a few teams problems.
              Like us, for example, last time we were in Fargo. Tveidt buried us in the first half of that one.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The transition is already a success, just think back to where NDSU mens basketball was, the growth of the program has been something to watch. You are about the goal for this season though, it is NCAA tourney or bust.
                I watched Michael play throughout high school, including making several trips back to Pierre after I graduated to watch him and Sam Willard play. Michael is a very good player, he was then and is now. I remember in elementary and junior high, the kid was not a very good player, he just played because he was tall, but he really blossomed once he got to high school. He keeps getting better, zooropa is right to think that Tveidt will continue to get better but he is an impact player right now. Prime example is him hanging 16 on us in the first 10 minutes in the game in Fargo last year.

I would loved to have seen Michael in an SDSU uniform, he was easily the best player in that class.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Like us, for example, last time we were in Fargo. Tveidt buried us in the first half of that one.
                  I don't think it's fair to judge any player by what he did to our MBB team last year.

As far as Tveidt goes--he's going to be carrying the team next year, and I'm curious to see if he grows into that role or not. Right now he's got to be, what? the third or fourth prioroty for your typical defense on any given night. How will he handle being the focus of opposing teams?

--

Also, one of the things I like about how Nagy has recruited lately is the evenness of the talent---I think SDSU will be very successful if they have a team that has players across all classes, all of them able (on any given night) to step up and be the 'go to player'. Not unlike the WBB team.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post

I would loved to have seen Michael in an SDSU uniform, he was easily the best player in that class.

I know this discussion has been hashed out on the this board before, but I'll still take Cordova...especially after what I have seen this season thus far. I think it's much more difficult to find an AC type player versus another player out on the wing like Tviedt.

But it would be nice to have both players on our squad.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I watched Michael play throughout high school, including making several trips back to Pierre after I graduated to watch him and Sam Willard play. Michael is a very good player, he was then and is now. I remember in elementary and junior high, the kid was not a very good player, he just played because he was tall, but he really blossomed once he got to high school. He keeps getting better, zooropa is right to think that Tveidt will continue to get better but he is an impact player right now. Prime example is him hanging 16 on us in the first 10 minutes in the game in Fargo last year.

His progression at NDSU has been fun to watch as well, last year he showed flashes and now this year you can almost expect about 10 points and great defense every game. I think he will be ready to take on a bigger role next year, which will be a big help as we bring in a bit of a youth movement.

Comment

A couple of things, first of all what does Tveidt have to do with the 09-10 recruiting class?
                        Second of all, Chad White is quicker and a better wing that Tveidt will ever be. Watched him play in high school and though he was good, Sam Williard was the bright spot on that team, a solid center that was fundamentally sound.... Letting Tveidt go to NDSU doesn't bother me, the class we recruited that year was better then NDSU's anyway.... Letting Williard get by bothered me a bit more, the early signings of Sargent and Moss was pretty good though, and we had Cordova....

This years recruits of Chad White and Tony Feigen where a lot like Pierre's team with Williard and Tveidt, except Chad White is better, and Tony Feigen has a little bit better outside game and not quite the game inside the paint though they are very similar.....

Too many people look back and say we should of recruited this guy or that guy, anybody can second guess, anybody can say what if, only the coaches can make the call, and only the coaches coach the kids they recruit....

Comment

Correction noted. I meant the season. Thanks!

Comment

I think you are right on target, its a shame there was not a scholarship for Tviedt and Cordova both, as we would be much stronger on inside with both. No I see no reason knock Tviedt, he is a very good player, and the word impact applies. NDSU is not a bad place to get an education, and that the probably the most important thing in Mr. Tviedt's life.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              Too many people look back and say we should of recruited this guy or that guy, anybody can second guess, anybody can say what if, only the coaches can make the call, and only the coaches coach the kids they recruit....
                              Well I think we should have recruited Tviedt and no doubt the staff does too, but Tviedt made a choice. I have only seen the Madison guys on tv last spring during the state tourney, and I was not overly impressed. I hope they are as good as you say. When do you get time to crack at book at BHSU since you are all over the state talking to people? Or are you puffing a bit?

Comment

According to TV's blog last year before the Bison game, if I remember right, he said that Tviedt didn't make a campus visit to SDSU when he was being recruited. So its pretty hard to sign a guy who won't even come and take a look around. He's a Bison, and I'll take Cordova.

Comment

Working...
                                X