X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
    Williams is the last starter for Hopkins to sign with a DI school. That's impressive to have all 5 of your starters sign DI (I'm sure he will sign with someone).
    If we can beat the Bison on this recruit, it might be part of a turning point. I hope we continue to followup on this one as it appears the best that the state of Minnesota has to offer. I imagine our coach had a nice drive back to Brookings and hope he found the roads in good condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      To help get this thread back on track, Madison beat Lennox by 20 or so points last night, Chad White (he's grown to 6-7 this year) had either 21 points and 12 assists, or 26 points and six assists (first in the story, second in the headline in the Argus??), while Tony Fiegen (6-8) scored 10 of his 18 points in the third quarter to help the Bulldogs pull away from a slow first half. Tony also had 7 rebounds.
      Nagy was in Lennox on Friday taking a look at his prized recruits. This is the best team in A in the state and I would love to see them play Lincoln, who appears to be the best team in the state. I think from what I've seen and heard that Madison is a little lacking in the intensity department at times (see Lennox first half) and if and when they decide to "flip the switch" they can put a hurtin' on teams in a hurry. They took out another ranked team last night in Sisseton with what appeared to be a lot of balance.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
        Nagy was in Lennox on Friday taking a look at his prized recruits. This is the best team in A in the state and I would love to see them play Lincoln, who appears to be the best team in the state. I think from what I've seen and heard that Madison is a little lacking in the intensity department at times (see Lennox first half) and if and when they decide to "flip the switch" they can put a hurtin' on teams in a hurry. They took out another ranked team last night in Sisseton with what appeared to be a lot of balance.
        That is very debatable since Platte has everyone back from their State Championship last year, and Platte lost to Sioux Falls Christian 99-90 in Parkston two weeks ago! Sioux Falls Christian is very talented. Never count out the Dutch!

Comment

Platte will be tough at state, I believe Madison and SF Christian are in the same region.... I'd like to see SF Christian play Platte with 8 minute quarters rather then the 18 minute halves. I wasn't at the game but I talked to a few that where and they said Platte looked out of shape.... Also Johnson still in 100% for Platte....

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            If we can beat the Bison on this recruit, it might be part of a turning point. I hope we continue to followup on this one as it appears the best that the state of Minnesota has to offer. I imagine our coach had a nice drive back to Brookings and hope he found the roads in good condition.
            NDSU seems to have been scuffling on the recruiting trail of late.....

On Minnesota, and SDSU-----let's shuffle our math on the 'too many D-1 schools in the Dakotas' argument....

USD + SDSU + NDSU + UND + Minnesota = 5 D1 schools.

North Dakota + South Dakota + Minnesota = 6,700,000 people.

That's one D-1 school for every 1,340,000 people.

That's a great recruiting ratio, and IMO, close to a BCS level of population base.

Granted 4 million of that 6.7 million is in the twin cities, still......

--

It's a bit of thread drift, I know, but since the whole "South Dakota is too small for two D-1 schools" argument will keep coming up, it's worth the occasional mention that Minnesota is too big for only one D-1 school.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              NDSU seems to have been scuffling on the recruiting trail of late.....

On Minnesota, and SDSU-----let's shuffle our math on the 'too many D-1 schools in the Dakotas' argument....

USD + SDSU + NDSU + UND + Minnesota = 5 D1 schools.

North Dakota + South Dakota + Minnesota = 6,700,000 people.

That's one D-1 school for every 1,340,000 people.

That's a great recruiting ratio, and IMO, close to a BCS level of population base.

Granted 4 million of that 6.7 million is in the twin cities, still......

--

It's a bit of thread drift, I know, but since the whole "South Dakota is too small for two D-1 schools" argument will keep coming up, it's worth the occasional mention that Minnesota is too big for only one D-1 school.
              We are scuffling?

Jordan Aarberg, 6'9 PF from Rothsay, MN. Aarberg verbaled to NDSU as sophomore, which was a good thing because he received a lot of interest over the summer(OK State offered him late). He is a big kid that can move nicely but will likely redshirt so he can take a year and add some muscle.

Nate Zastrow, 6'0 PG from Manitowak, WI. Zastrow can shoot the three and drive, fierce competitor. Could see playing time right away. Zastrow choose NDSU over several D1 offers including in-state UW-Milwaukee and is ranked as the 6th best senior in Wisconsin.

Michael Felt, 6'3 G from Redwood Falls MN. Lead the state of Minnesota in scoring last year with 30.3 point per game. Felt has a great shooting stroke and should have no problems adjusting to the new three point line. He is also athletic and should compliment Zastrow well. Felt also will likely not redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                We are scuffling?

Jordan Aarberg, 6'9 PF from Rothsay, MN. Aarberg verbaled to NDSU as sophomore, which was a good thing because he received a lot of interest over the summer(OK State offered him late). He is a big kid that can move nicely but will likely redshirt so he can take a year and add some muscle.

Nate Zastrow, 6'0 PG from Manitowak, WI. Zastrow can shoot the three and drive, fierce competitor. Could see playing time right away. Zastrow choose NDSU over several D1 offers including in-state UW-Milwaukee and is ranked as the 6th best senior in Wisconsin.

Michael Felt, 6'3 G from Redwood Falls MN. Lead the state of Minnesota in scoring last year with 30.3 point per game. Felt has a great shooting stroke and should have no problems adjusting to the new three point line. He is also athletic and should compliment Zastrow well. Felt also will likely not redshirt.
                Agreed. I think NDSU is doing fine still. We wanted Felt too, and they got him, so it's hard to say they are "scuffling". I wouldn't shake a stick at the class they are bringing in next year...but it will be interesting to see how they try to replace their seniors.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                  it will be interesting to see how they try to replace their seniors.
                  My thoughts as well....

Plus, for the idea that NDSU may not be recruiting as well as they're playing right now, see this:

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/?blog=37855
                  If the North Dakota State men's basketball does not make the NCAA tournament this year by winning the Summit League, the coaching staff has opened itself up to criticism for the following reason: It has failed to add an impact player in the last four recruiting classes. It becomes more clear week after week that the fortunes of this team are completely dependent on the Big 3 of Woodside, Winkelman and Nelson. It was just as clear in their redshirt freshman year that they were going to be something really special. Yet Tim Miles, Saul Phillips, Dave Richman and Co. have failed to add one more significant piece that can help (while losing Andre Smith). Dejuan Flowers is a role player. Mike Tveidt is a nice piece, but shows no ability to take over a game offensively, defensively or on the boards. Bison coaches have talked about how they love Eric Carlson, but I haven't seen anything so far this season to indicate that he is going to be a major contributor this season. Freddy Coleman just doesn't have it. Josh Vaughan just doesn't have it. The rest of the roster is irrevlevant against Division I teams. Bison fans seem to be throwing most of their savagery toward Luke Moormann, but the damning thing to me is that the Bison coaches have no place to turn with Moormann struggling as bad he is struggling
                  Plus, Kolpack and Hallstrom have been down on the rest of the Bison squad this season. And while NDSU's current conference record may have blunted that criticism somewhat, I think it's reasonably well founded.

Off-the-record comments about NDSU's recruiting have been more negative, and that's from a source everyone on this board would consider reliable, but one I can't name because the comments were made 'off the record'.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    Agreed. I think NDSU is doing fine still. We wanted Felt too, and they got him, so it's hard to say they are "scuffling". I wouldn't shake a stick at the class they are bringing in next year...but it will be interesting to see how they try to replace their seniors.
                    Michael Tveidt is about the only starter I can name, so it will be interesting to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised to see a JUCO added to that class just to provide some more experience.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      My thoughts as well....

Plus, for the idea that NDSU may not be recruiting as well as they're playing right now, see this:

http://www.areavoices.com/mcfeely/?blog=37855
                      Plus, Kolpack and Hallstrom have been down on the rest of the Bison squad this season. And while NDSU's current conference record may have blunted that criticism somewhat, I think it's reasonably well founded.

Off-the-record comments about NDSU's recruiting have been more negative, and that's from a source everyone on this board would consider reliable, but one I can't name because the comments were made 'off the record'.
                      Michael Tveidt has turned into an impact player, McFeely would fully admit that now. Sussenguth, Vaughan, and Pennick are role players at best, and that hurts because they will be seniors next year. All the players I like outside of Tveidt will be underclassmen next year.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        Michael Tveidt has turned into an impact player
                        We may not know how good Tveidt is until next year.

Now that Nagy seems to have gotten D-1 recruiting down, I think he's done well bringing in 'difference makers' with each class---With Kai & Garrett in the junior class, Cordova and Clint Sargent at the sophomore level (with maybe an improved Dale Moss), and Griffan Callahan as a freshman.

Next year, you'll have James Rader and the Madison boys.

As it stands, this year's freshman class is about the weakest link among the SDSU roster and known commitments. Josh Cassaday is still kind of an unknown quality. I certainly don't see him being a replacement to equal the caliber of Kai Williams.

Comment

The return of Anthony Davis next season could make this year's recruiting duo look pretty good.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            The return of Anthony Davis next season could make this year's recruiting duo look pretty good.
                            Wait--which this year? Fiegen/White?

Comment

Davis came in this season, along with Radar. Radar is being redshirted. Davis, the 6-10 juco, has been injured all season and hasn't played. Maybe we should consider walk-on Dwight Pederson part of this year's class too.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                Davis came in this season, along with Radar. Radar is being redshirted. Davis, the 6-10 juco, has been injured all season and hasn't played. Maybe we should consider walk-on Dwight Pederson part of this year's class too.
                                Yeah, but Davis only has 2 years left. He'll be a 4th year junior next year, not a freshman.

Pederson will be a sophomore at the same time as Callahan, though, so he'll be in the same class. But I don't know how much he'll accomplish.......

Comment

Working...
                                X