X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
    I hate to be so negative, but in my opinion we need to be recruiting outside of SD.
    Where are the Callahans from?

Where's Kai from?

Want to tell me that SDSU can get a better player than any of them by recruiting the latest up and comer from Ulaanbaatar Southwest Preparatory #25? (there are lots of tall people in Mongolia, and they're used to nasty winters)

Comment

As far as recruiting out of state.... I agree that we shouldn't recruit in state kids just to recruit them, but Chad White, Tony Feigen, and Zach Horstman (so from Winner) you recruit, you don't let them get out of state.... You look at Iowa (FB), Nebraska (FB) and Minnesota (BB) and the thing that makes them good is they keep the best of the state instate.... You recruit the best of your state and then look else where....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        As far as recruiting out of state.... I agree that we shouldn't recruit in state kids just to recruit them, but Chad White, Tony Feigen, and Zach Horstman (so from Winner) you recruit, you don't let them get out of state.... You look at Iowa (FB), Nebraska (FB) and Minnesota (BB) and the thing that makes them good is they keep the best of the state instate.... You recruit the best of your state and then look else where....
        You are right. In the last 5 years there have been 10 major high school football all-star games like the US Army and the Under Armour. There have been 20 major high school all-star basketball games like the McDonalds. Of the 2,000 kids that played in these, how many were from SD or my home state of ND?

Comment

Concerning out of state recruiting:

How different would this team look with these players?

Joe Krabbenhoft 6'7" - 8 pts 6rbs at Wisconsin
          Colton Iverson 6'10" - 8 pts 4 rbs at Minnesota
          Zach Finley 6'9" - 5 pts 3 rbs at Princeton
          Mike Tviedt 6'7" - 9 pts 3 rbs at NDSU
          Sam Willard 6'9" - 7 pts 7 rbs at Pacific
          Adam Templeton 6'5" - 6 pts 4rbs at Drake

Add those players to this team, plus a couple of other kids that went elsewhere or chose a different sport, and you have a pretty good lineup in addition to the kids from South Dakota that have chosen SDSU.

I am not suggesting that we could have or should have gotten all of these kids. I am also not saying that I would rather have this player than that player. My point is that there is talent in all sorts of locations. Don't rule out South Dakota.

Sorry to add to the drift.

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
            Concerning out of state recruiting:

How different would this team look with these players?

Joe Krabbenhoft 6'7" - 8 pts 6rbs at Wisconsin
            Colton Iverson 6'10" - 8 pts 4 rbs at Minnesota
            Zach Finley 6'9" - 5 pts 3 rbs at Princeton
            Mike Tviedt 6'7" - 9 pts 3 rbs at NDSU
            Sam Willard 6'9" - 7 pts 7 rbs at Pacific
            Adam Templeton 6'5" - 6 pts 4rbs at Drake

Add those players to this team, plus a couple of other kids that went elsewhere or chose a different sport, and you have a pretty good lineup in addition to the kids from South Dakota that have chosen SDSU.

I am not suggesting that we could have or should have gotten all of these kids. I am also not saying that I would rather have this player than that player. My point is that there is talent in all sorts of locations. Don't rule out South Dakota.

Sorry to add to the drift.

Many people are "reverse racist" and believe in the of the superiority of the black athlete. I'm not one them.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

You are right. In the last 5 years there have been 10 major high school football all-star games like the US Army and the Under Armour. There have been 20 major high school all-star basketball games like the McDonalds. Of the 2,000 kids that played in these, how many were from SD or my home state of ND?
              According to your logic, there has NEVER been a Miss America from South Dakota, so Miss South Dakota must be one ugly lady?

If there are roughly 25 million 18-24 year olds in America and 4164 DI basketball players, roughly 1 out of every 6000 kids from South Dakota should be DI caliber basketball players. How many kids go to high school in SD?
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

On average this is what I see....

once every 3-5 years there is someone that goes to a major D-I conference
                Iverson
                Krabenoff
                Reiner
                Miller
                there are a few others also
                We don't get those

Once a year there is about 2 that go to a mid-major conference
                the top 1-2 of those should be recruited by SDSU

Comment

Jason Sutherland from Watertown played in the McDonalds All-American game....and won the dunk contest.....all 6' 1 of him

JACK JD EDITS: We had some drifting about Jason Sutherland (I'm guilty of contributing to the drift). Here's the summary and then I'll delete the drifting posts so this thread is more on topic: Mike Miller is the only SD to go to a McDonald's All-American camp. Watertown's Jason Sutherland, a fantastic jumper and Missouri Tiger, went to the Nike Camp, not McDonalds.
                  Last edited by JackJD; 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM.
                  Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                  Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    According to your logic, there has NEVER been a Miss America from South Dakota, so Miss South Dakota must be one ugly lady?

If there are roughly 25 million 18-24 year olds in America and 4164 DI basketball players, roughly 1 out of every 6000 kids from South Dakota should be DI caliber basketball players. How many kids go to high school in SD?
                    According to http://www.census.gov/population/pro...te/stpjage.txt
                    there are about 74,000 18-24 year olds in South Dakota. By your logic 12.33 SD kids should be playing D1 basketball.

I know you will count the 5 SD kids at USD, 4 of the 5 were on the DII team. I know you will count the 6 SD kids at SDSU, none of which were recruited by any D1 schools.

Comment

According to http://www.census.gov/population/pro...te/stpjage.txt
                      there are about 74,000 18-24 year olds in South Dakota. By your logic 12.33 SD kids should be playing D1 basketball.

I know you will count the 5 SD kids at USD, 4 of the 5 were on the DII team. I know you will count the 6 SD kids at SDSU, none of which were recruited by any D1 schools.
                      18-24 is that just males?

I think that about right... all of these guys had more then 1 offer
                      Joe K.- Wisconsin
                      Colton Iverson- Minnesota
                      Mike Tveidt- NDSU
                      Sam Williard- Pacific
                      Adam Tempelton- UC-Irvine/Drake
                      Anthony Cordova-(SDSU) may not of but would of if he would of been eligible right out of hs
                      Steve Smith (went to Creighton first)
                      Louie K.- I think he had 1 or 2 other offers
                      Dale Moss- I really don't know much of his recruitment
                      Matt Martin-Montana-would fit into your age bracket
                      these 2 would of had plenty of offers if they would of went through the recruiting process
                      Chad White
                      Tony Feigen

there is 9 and I know I am missing a few...

Comment

Just in: Funny how math and statistics work.

If you would like to throw in 23 and 24 year olds, we can add Matt Martin of Spearfish to the list. He played 4 years at Montana. Also, Steve Smith at USD started down at Creighton, another DI. So add those two to the list of 6 that I already posted, and you get 8. Now add in Dale Moss and Anthony Cordova, Louie Krogman and Jared Vlastiun, and you get 12. Also toss in the Paulsen kid from Custer that played at Northern Illinois and U-Milwaukee, and you've got 13. White and Fiegen make it 15. That does not count the kids that had DI offers but chose not to take them, like Mitch Begeman.

See? We are actually ahead of the curve.

Edit: Sorry for the info overlap. joeboo beat me to the punch.

Comment

To help get this thread back on track, Madison beat Lennox by 20 or so points last night, Chad White (he's grown to 6-7 this year) had either 21 points and 12 assists, or 26 points and six assists (first in the story, second in the headline in the Argus??), while Tony Fiegen (6-8) scored 10 of his 18 points in the third quarter to help the Bulldogs pull away from a slow first half. Tony also had 7 rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            To help get this thread back on track, Madison beat Lennox by 20 or so points last night, Chad White (he's grown to 6-7 this year) had either 21 points and 12 assists, or 26 points and six assists (first in the story, second in the headline in the Argus??), while Tony Fiegen (6-8) scored 10 of his 18 points in the third quarter to help the Bulldogs pull away from a slow first half. Tony also had 7 rebounds.
                            These guys are going to be fun to watch. 21 points and 12 assists from your 6-7 point guard?!? Having a guy that can handle with that size and length is going to cause the Summit League some serious headaches.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

South Dakota State had a coach at the huge Hopkins/Henry Sibley game last night and he said he was looking at Hopkins PG Marcus Williams, a two sport standout who had a very strong game. NDSU also had a coach there looking at Williams and a couple juniors. The game featured 7 division 1 signees and another six who have D1 offers.

Star Tribune game recap
                              http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...L7PQLanchO7DiU

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                                South Dakota State had a coach at the huge Hopkins/Henry Sibley game last night and he said he was looking at Hopkins PG Marcus Williams, a two sport standout who had a very strong game. NDSU also had a coach there looking at Williams and a couple juniors. The game featured 7 division 1 signees and another six who have D1 offers.

Star Tribune game recap
                                http://www.startribune.com/sports/pr...L7PQLanchO7DiU
                                Williams is the last starter for Hopkins to sign with a DI school. That's impressive to have all 5 of your starters sign DI (I'm sure he will sign with someone).
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X