This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-10 Recruits

Has anyone heard of any attempts to recruit post players?

Comment

Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
        Tony Fiegen
        Nice article about Tony and Chad and their summer in the Argus. They will both be nice additions to the team regardless of position. I don't see Tony as a post guy at the DI level but I've been wrong before.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Just a reminder that posters should try to limit their posting of copyrighted articles to "Fair Use."

Fair Use isn't very well defined in the law--but anything more than two or three paragraphs is possibly pushing it, unless you provide a significant discussion in your post of what's written in the article.

(Also note that Gannett, who owns the Argus-Leader, is notorious for very aggressively defending their copyrights, so take appropriate care.)

A choice quote or two (or three) from the source article, along with a link to the quoted article, is the preferred method if you're just bringing attention to the article.

Thanks.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Nice article about Tony and Chad and their summer in the Argus. They will both be nice additions to the team regardless of position. I don't see Tony as a post guy at the DI level but I've been wrong before.
            I think this depends on what positions you call post players. Some call just the 5 a post player, others call the 4 and 5 post players. I would call Tony an able 4, and that may be where he will play when he becomes a Jack, considering the depth we have at the guard position. (Williams, Cassaday, Callahan, Sargent, White to name a few at the 2/3 spots) If we are talking a 5, then I agree with the prior statements. I believe Fiegen will need to be on the floor right away, and I think it may have to be a one of the post positions - With his height(6' 7" and still growing?) and his experience the last 2 years, I think he will be able to handle it.

However, with the new offense they are putting in, they may not have to worry as much about the lack of post depth - at least on the offensive end.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Just a reminder that posters should try to limit their posting of copyrighted articles to "Fair Use."....
              I haven't read the opinion yet but in the past day or two, a court issued an opinion denying the claim of Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon, which sought to ban the use of a John Lennon song in a movie promoting 'intelligent design' (vs. evolution). The Judge said the use of the song "Imagine" (I think it was Imagine) fell within the fair-use doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I haven't read the opinion yet but in the past day or two, a court issued an opinion denying the claim of Yoko Ono and Sean Lennon, which sought to ban the use of a John Lennon song in a movie promoting 'intelligent design' (vs. evolution). The Judge said the use of the song "Imagine" (I think it was Imagine) fell within the fair-use doctrine.
                I think the judge just denied a preliminary injunction request as "unlikely to succeed on the merits."

Still, Fair Use is a concept with which all SDSUFans.com posters should be somewhat familiar. It boils down to "don't cut and paste other people's stuff, unless you're commenting on that stuff or otherwise extending, modifying, or transforming the copyrighted stuff."

Seems to me it's a two-part problem: 1) people seem to think that anything posted on the Internet is public domain (wrong!) and 2) other people seem to think that copyright means that nobody can take their work and comment on it (also wrong!). There is a middle ground (if not a happy medium) that right-thinking, law-abiding folk seek.

Anyway, I'd just as soon never have to have a judge decide whether or not some posting here constituted Fair Use, so a bit of (possibly unwanted) continuing education of our loyal readers and posters is probably in order.

But I'm done now, so if there are no further questions, class is dismissed!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Great expalnation! Now, care to render a ruling concerning whether Fiegen is a small forward or a power forward, or whether anyone other than gojacksgo considers a power forward a post player? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                    Great expalnation! Now, care to render a ruling concerning whether Fiegen is a small forward or a power forward, or whether anyone other than gojacksgo considers a power forward a post player? :-)
                    I guess my limited knowledge of X's and O's basketball does extend to the awareness of things like "two-post offenses," so in those circumstances the designation of one as the "center" and the other as the "power forward" can be fairly arbitrary. If you're running a three-guard offense, then you don't really have a small forward, but . . . um . . . three guards. Some variants of the motion offense (I'm going out on a big limb here, feel free to cut me off) have two posts and three perimeter players (i.e. guards).

All I know for sure is that guards are the shorter guys, and posts are the taller guys. Forwards are, therefore, the in-between guys.

Don't really care what you call 'em as long as they can start racking up a few wins wearing yellow and blue.

Anyway, really good big men are at a premium, and frankly I think our program needs to improve a lot before we can start entertaining thoughts of a really effective true center.

Although, word from Terry V's blog is that the incoming juco, Anthony Davis, is "6'9" in shoes." I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Ok.... my opinion... a post player is a back to the basket type player not a 3,4 or 5.... Feigan is a capable back to the basket type player but hes more of that type that gets the post feed and turns to the basket and trys to take him off of the dribble..... As far as recruiting post, its hard to recruit mid-major post players you ususally end up with one of a few options... A guy who can't cut it in the classroom or off the court problems. or is undersized (Bassett) or just isn't D-I material... I do think though that we need to get a back to the basket type of player but hey don't count on it.....

Comment

In my humble opinion, a good post player has alot more to do with that person being taught to play with his back to the basket than actual size. A true post player is a thing of the past. Everyone wants to be Dirk Nowitzke, not Tim Duncan. Not much glamour to executing a nice up & under move compared to a drive and dunk or hitting a long 3. Kevin Love is an example of an undersized post player thriving because his dad taught him how to maneuver on the block since he was in grade school. Kevin Love (listed at 6'10"-6'11" depending on who's measuring) is barely 6'9". We need someone who likes to bang, likes to drop a nice baby hook once in a while and someone who works their tail off on the boards. Talent and size are nice. Desire and tenacity are a must. Those are the post players who thrive at our level.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                          We need someone who likes to bang, likes to drop a nice baby hook once in a while and someone who works their tail off on the boards. Talent and size are nice. Desire and tenacity are a must. Those are the post players who thrive at our level.
                          I thought you were talking about Mark Tetzlaff for a while.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            In my humble opinion, a good post player has alot more to do with that person being taught to play with his back to the basket than actual size. A true post player is a thing of the past. Everyone wants to be Dirk Nowitzke, not Tim Duncan. Not much glamour to executing a nice up & under move compared to a drive and dunk or hitting a long 3. Kevin Love is an example of an undersized post player thriving because his dad taught him how to maneuver on the block since he was in grade school. Kevin Love (listed at 6'10"-6'11" depending on who's measuring) is barely 6'9". We need someone who likes to bang, likes to drop a nice baby hook once in a while and someone who works their tail off on the boards. Talent and size are nice. Desire and tenacity are a must. Those are the post players who thrive at our level.
                            Or a Tyler Hansbrough type. I'm a Duke fan, but will give him props.......he's isn't overly athletic (hence he won't make a great pro) but his motor runs 100 MPH all the time. He never quits.....ever. He makes more plays he shouldn't make than anyone I've ever seen. He's got the kind of work ethic SDSU needs to find in recruits....someone who isn't afraid to quit....ever.

MJA is right on we need someone undersized who is willing to work their tail off.

Comment

A good update from Terry's blog on our 2009 recruits and who has been offered. Sounds like there is 3 offers out for one spot. One of these guys will join Fiegen and White in 2009. The first one who accepts gets it.

The SDSU men's basketball team is believed to have interest in at least three players – all at different positions – for its remaining 2009 scholarship.

Nate Wolters is one of them. At 6-foot-4, he plays scoring guard for St. Cloud Tech High School, but considers himself a natural point – the spot he runs for the Minnesota Comets, one of the teams in Sioux Falls this weekend for the Dakota Showcase.

Some observations from Saturday afternoon's 78-74 win against the South Dakota Heat, where Wolters put up 31 points:

He's very smooth, almost effortless, and arguably handles better than anybody currently on the Jacks roster. He excels at getting to the rim and shoots it well, although doesn't have the same pure (and rare) stroke as Michael Felt, one of the others considering an offer from SDSU.

Wolters seems to be an above average defender, too. He showed the ability to pick pockets, step into passing lanes and block shots, erasing two layups in transition.

(read more - including the comments section)

Comment

Here is Minnesota Preps Pre-Summer Rankings which has the 3 players who the Jacks have offered listed:

Rank Name HT POS Location/School School
                                1 Royce White 6'7 SF Hopkins Minnesota
                                2 Rodney Williams 6'5 SG Cooper
                                3 Mike Bruesewitz 6'7 SF Henry Sibley Wisconsin
                                4 Raymond Cowels 6'3 SG Hopkins
                                5 Trent Lockett 6'5 SF Hopkins Arizona State
                                6 Sam Dower 6'9 PF Osseo
                                7 Marc Sonnen 6'3 PG Tartan Northern Iowa
                                8 Mike Broghammer PF Hopkins
                                9 Ethan Wragge 6'7 SG Eden Prairie
                                10 Jordair Jett 6'1 PG St. Bernards
                                11 Chris Halvorsen 6'7 SF Henry SIbley
                                12 Nate Wolters 6'3 PG/SG St. Cloud Tech
                                13 Jordan Aaberg 6'8 PF Rothsay North Dakota State
                                14 Cedric Martin 6'3 SG Minneapolis Washburn
                                15 Mike Fitzgerald 6'5 SG St. Thomas
                                16 Josh Figini 6'8 SF Chisago Lakes
                                17 Mike Muscala 6'7 SF/PF Roseville
                                18 Mike Felt 6'1 PG Redwood Valley
                                19 Emmanual Addo 6'7 PF Northfield
                                20 Matt Zager 6'2 SG Shakopee
                                21 Carlos Emmory 6'5 SF Eastview
                                22 Marcus Williams 6'0 PG Hopkins
                                23 David Berthene 6'7 PF Lakeville North
                                24 Damarius Cruz 6'3 SG Armstrong
                                25 Dylan Rodriguez 6'6 PF Blaine