Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

Could Broman be considered an option at point at all or is exclusively a shooting guard? I'd assumed he handled the ball a ton in high school and he seemed to have a well-rounded game in looking at his stats.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Where is Prince in this mix?
      I lump Prince in with the the four or five, non-senior returners who came off the bench this year and played varying amounts. Bittle, Horstmann, Jacobsen and maybe Feilmeier also fit into that category of underclassmen who will (or could be) back. Not sure where to put Josh White and Ruben Silva. I guess they're walk-on (?) returnees who sat out this year. So I guess they'd fit in with scholarship players Devine and Donlan, who also redshirted. Prince took a step backwards this year in playing time. Not sure what that was all about. He's got a tough, power forward-type game, but he's limited by guard-like height (6-3).
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Could Broman be considered an option at point at all or is exclusively a shooting guard? I'd assumed he handled the ball a ton in high school and he seemed to have a well-rounded game in looking at his stats.
        I doubt it. The class he played in for HS is very different then he will see at college. Not saying he couldnt be good enough too but PG is probably the most important postion on a team and having someone with experience with the pace of the game and running the offense will probably get the nod. Unless he comes in like Wolters as the best option to do so but I think Bittle starts at PG then Carlson backs him up and white moves to shooting guard so we can have donlan on the wing or extra post help with Devine.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I don't think so. He is being recruited to make shots. Not sure how well he can guard or pass at the DI level. Remember, he is playing small small small class ball in Minnesota.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            I think a big factor in next year's success will be how much Bittle steps up as a ball handler. It's easy to look at Nate's stat lines and wonder how we are going to replace his points/rebounding/assists, but his ball handling and ability to control game tempo are what made him special.

Most of Jake's experience this year came as an off guard, and he only had the two games Nate was hurt to experience what it's like to be the primary ball handler (Minnesota and DSU). Bittle was obviously forced into a bad situation against Minnesota (extremely athletic B1G team that likes to pressure) and had a rocky game, but he seemed to handle the adversity well and fought through the poor plays to show glimpses of his potential. I'm hoping Jake uses the Minnesota game as motivation to work hard on his handle in the off season.
            Coach Amy Williams' husband who is now an assistant at USD and was coaching college BB in Oklahoma speaks very highly of Jake Bittle. He says he was one of the if not the top point guard prospect his senior year. I notice USD just signed a couple of high-profile Oklahoma recruits during the late signing period as well.

Bittle is the guy at point, pressure is on for him. I think Carlson can certainly help out.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Coach Amy Williams' husband who is now an assistant at USD and was coaching college BB in Oklahoma speaks very highly of Jake Bittle. He says he was one of the if not the top point guard prospect his senior year. I notice USD just signed a couple of high-profile Oklahoma recruits during the late signing period as well.

Bittle is the guy at point, pressure is on for him. I think Carlson can certainly help out.
              They are totally different types of point guards, Carlson is more of a combo guard like Nate, where Bittle is more of a point forward, defensive mind guy (a Wojo). As for Browman he is a combo/2 guard, more then a point guard. He can run the point when he has to but he is more of a Chad White, where I'd rather not have him running the point because he is more valuable at the 2 and not great at the 1. Again I have no clue though, just hope everyone sticks around and develops over the summer and the team is great next year. I've failed at this game way too many times to come out with my 12 man rotation and what to expect from it like I have in years past.

Comment

I think it's too early to tell if he'll be able to play that role or not. Broman will be making a big jump in competition and it'll be interesting to see how he adapts throughout summer and fall workouts/practices.

I don't think Anders should just be written off as not being able to handle some point guard duties though, either. Broman is used to having the ball in his hands and scored a ton of points off the dribble, so to label him as just a set 3 point shooter would be inaccurate. He's a smart kid with an incredible work ethic, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him assigned some ball handling duties next year.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Where is Prince in this mix?
                  That's the $64,000 question . He went from playing significant minutes in the post-season last year, to not playing a single minute in either the Summit or NCAA tourney this year. Is the foot problem still lingering or did his game just regress that much ?

Comment

For those that remember, Nagy talked about Chad White playing point guard in college when he was signed. We really have no clue yet.

You can lump a group of guys together that can/might play PG next year: Bittle, Carlson, Broman, Severyn, etc.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                      I think it's too early to tell if he'll be able to play that role or not. Broman will be making a big jump in competition and it'll be interesting to see how he adapts throughout summer and fall workouts/practices.I don't think Anders should just be written off as not being able to handle some point guard duties though, either. Broman is used to having the ball in his hands and scored a ton of points off the dribble, so to label him as just a set 3 point shooter would be inaccurate. He's a smart kid with an incredible work ethic, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him assigned some ball handling duties next year.
                      Exactly. If he plays well coming off ball screens he could definitely be a viable option.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        That's the $64,000 question . He went from playing significant minutes in the post-season last year, to not playing a single minute in either the Summit or NCAA tourney this year. Is the foot problem still lingering or did his game just regress that much ?
                        Unless things have changed, he's probably gone.

Comment

The key to next year is Dykstra, can he become the guy who can get that bucket when its needed, can he get the rebounds, can he play both sides of the ball for high minutes. Can he play the post for large minutes. Towards the end of the season I thought his post game really developed.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            The key to next year is Dykstra, can he become the guy who can get that bucket when its needed, can he get the rebounds, can he play both sides of the ball for high minutes. Can he play the post for large minutes. Towards the end of the season I thought his post game really developed.
                            Agree Dykstra is key. He cant have games like he did at IPFW and Oakland and only score like 5 or 7 points in 2 games. His defense has gotten pretty good, and he rebounds a lot better then people give him credit for but he will have to have his offense tuned in everygame. hitting 3s and helping in the post like he does. Especially on the weak side. Let heemstra take jump shots from one side and make sure Dykstra is in to clean up the glass on the far side. Similar to what Will Hudsen did with K Benson. And white and carlson will have to play more closely like white did in the summit tourney and how carlson did in the ncaa tourney. WE know they can do it, just they have to beleive it and perform it now. I think heemstra will actually provide more offense then Fiegen did, not a lot more, but heemstra can shoot a bit more being taller and has a really decent jump shot, so did Feigen but he was more of a power forward who had to get a post game, Heemstra has that. Also Horstman has a pretty solid jump shot. I think he can really light it up if given the green light. just needs to figure out his role and keep from getting the silly fouls. Im pretty excited for this team next year.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Unless things have changed, he's probably gone.
                              Based on what?

Comment

Originally posted by AKCoach View Post
                                I think he'll develop over the years as far as what he brings to the table. He had a very steady natural progression to his game and what he offered throughout high school and I anticipate the same. Could he make a huge leap in what he's able to do? Sure, he's much more motivated than he was in high school I think, he's taken a lot more ownership of it. He's always been a hard worker and the consummate team player and that doesn't change, if it did he would hear about it from some of us up here. But as he develops his body and confidence who knows, sky is the limit. In HS as a sophomore he was much further along defensively than offensively, but much of that had to do with weight and the fact that double & triple teams in the post would not be uncommon. He got his 8-10 points almost exclusively off of garbage buckets and put backs. I could see him in this same role in the next year. If he can get 3-5 blocks per game, maybe change another 3-5 possessions/shots and pick up 6-10 points that's a huge swing, subtract the probably 6-15 points they are not getting and add anything he gives you on offense as icing. As a junior and senior those numbers when way up in scoring, rebounding, and blocks per game, he average 8 blocks per game as a senior. He still was consistently seeing double and triple teams but was much more assertive. I always believed he was very strong with the ball for how small he was weight wise.

So long story short, his defense is ahead of his offense, but he is very skilled in the block and can shoot the ball from 3 too. I think the weight and strength he adds will allow him to demonstrate those offensive abilities over time, but he is really focused on filling the role the team needs and that will get him time on the floor.
                                The leading shot blocker in the country averaged 4 a game this year,so i think suggesting he could get 3-5 a game is a tad optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                                X