Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

I have to think that the Nate's work ethic has to have rubbed off on some of the current players. Nate has a lot of talent, but his hard work helped him make the most out of it.

Comment

I really think that next year has a lot of unknowns. You have the 4-senoirs, Horstman and Bittle but after that there are a bunch of players who don't have any court time. Will the players coming in be like the USD players? USD had Bos who was a sophomore and then they had Flack and Kasperbauer who were freshmen. If SDSU can have a couple RFR's and a true freshman step up like those 3 players, they should be in really good shape. That would give SDSU a solid 8 or 9 and it would build depth for the next few years. If SDSU can start redshirting players, that will really help them in the long run. Players seem to get a lot better with that extra year of work.
      I know the USD fans are going to read to much into me bringing them up but if SDSU can have a couple of redshirt freshmen play like USD's sophomores starters that would be a great sign for the future of SDSU basketball. Between SDSU's redshirts and true freshmen, that gives you 8 players to have a few step up and fill the holes that are there.
      I think Connor could add something to this team that they haven't had in years. Even in SDSU's last years in DII, they didn't have a center that was tall and could block shots. They had a bulky round physical post down low. I am really impressed that he is bulking up like he is. I was worried that he might just get pushed around for a couple years but if he can hold his own right away, that will be great for SDSU basketball for the next 4 years.

Comment

A lot of unknowns? With four seniors who are likely to start or see significant playing time? With four or five other returners who came off the bench and played at least a little? With two redshirts who spent the past year practicing with the team? With four incoming recruits who were pretty well known high school stars in the region? This will be a veteran team. The biggest mystery might be which true freshmen will see playing time.
        This space for lease.

Comment

233 sounds like a decent weight, but on a 6'10" frame it is still very slender. Marcus is listed at 220, and he gets pushed around at times. Marshall Bjorklund is listed at 240. As AKcoach alluded to, a playing weight of 250+ will be ideal, especially if he can maintain mobility. Get him to a lean 260 by his junior year and he could be very special.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Will the team be able to spend the summer together again with some practice? I think last year was a summer where there was practices and summer school for the academics for the team.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

So is Prince gone? No one is talking about him so I'm just wondering if anyone has any confirmed information. Terry V. mentioned him in his season wrap up article, but didn't mention Horstman. Anyone know anything?
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                A lot of unknowns? With four seniors who are likely to start or see significant playing time? With four or five other returners who came off the bench and played at least a little? With two redshirts who spent the past year practicing with the team? With four incoming recruits who were pretty well known high school stars in the region? This will be a veteran team. The biggest mystery might be which true freshmen will see playing time.
                I said that you have "the 4-seniors, Horstman and Bittle but after that there are a bunch of players who don't have any court time." I should have said much playing time. Prince, Jacobsen and Feilmeier played some last year. Two years in Princes case. Unless we play a 6 man rotation there will either be Prince, walk-ons, redshirt freshmen or true freshmen out on the court.

I agree that the seniors will start or see significant playing time but after them, who are the four or five other returners? You have Bittle, Horstman, Prince, Jacobsen and Feilmeier?
                Bittle was injured part of this year so he hasn't been with the team a full year, yet. He is really good and we wont miss a beat with him in there but I don't know if you can call him a veteran.
                I do think that Heemstra and Horstman can count as veterans but Heemstra was splitting his time with baseball and Horstman was injured so they've had a few setbacks.
                I hope Prince plays more but he loves to shoot and I think he seems to be in the doghouse a lot.
                I really like Jacobsen and it will be interesting to see how much he plays. Will he ever get a scholarship before he leaves SDSU? I don't think either him or Feilmeier are on one now are they?

I like the redshirts. They have been practicing with the team and the extra year and that practice will pay off for Donlan, Joshua White, Devine and Silva.
                I agree with you about the four incoming recruits. I've only seen one of them play so I can't judge them but I'm sure they will be good for the program.

We still will have more playing time on the court than some teams but some teams (Oaklnad, NDSU, Denver-I hear) will have more time than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  Will the team be able to spend the summer together again with some practice? I think last year was a summer where there was practices and summer school for the academics for the team.
                  That's standard for all college basketball teams, regardless of level.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm to a point where I quit evaluating playing time, etc. I look more at physical development then anything else, because that is really the only thing I can see, because I can't determine playing time or rotations, etc.

Donlan and Devine have seemed to have beefed up. The big question will be, who will red-shirt (I'm for red-shirting as many as possible). And can Carlson run the point. Those are the big questions I see.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I'm to a point where I quit evaluating playing time, etc. I look more at physical development then anything else, because that is really the only thing I can see, because I can't determine playing time or rotations, etc.

Donlan and Devine have seemed to have beefed up. The big question will be, who will red-shirt (I'm for red-shirting as many as possible). And can Carlson run the point. Those are the big questions I see.
                      Unless Bittle can't handle the duty, or gets hurt, or gets into foul trouble...I see Carlson playing very little point guard.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I think Bittle is the PG next year

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          Unless Bittle can't handle the duty, or gets hurt, or gets into foul trouble...I see Carlson playing very little point guard.
                          Bittle came in with high expectations and he will be the point guard. He is very good and will only get better this summer. If he recovers fully from the thumb injury (he is expected to) he will be a sufficient point guard.

The 4 returning seniors need to take this team on their backs and get the most out of the younger guys. They need to lead with confidence and defend the Summit League title. That has to be the expectation.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think a big factor in next year's success will be how much Bittle steps up as a ball handler. It's easy to look at Nate's stat lines and wonder how we are going to replace his points/rebounding/assists, but his ball handling and ability to control game tempo are what made him special.

Most of Jake's experience this year came as an off guard, and he only had the two games Nate was hurt to experience what it's like to be the primary ball handler (Minnesota and DSU). Bittle was obviously forced into a bad situation against Minnesota (extremely athletic B1G team that likes to pressure) and had a rocky game, but he seemed to handle the adversity well and fought through the poor plays to show glimpses of his potential. I'm hoping Jake uses the Minnesota game as motivation to work hard on his handle in the off season.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Where is Prince in this mix?

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                There are very few college point guards (other than Nate) who can play 40 minutes a night , and even he didn't do that until his later years. Bittle will no doubt be the primary point guard , but I have to believe that Carlson gets some minutes there also , until one of the redshirts or true freshmen show that they can handle the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X