X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

Here's my current (23 Feb 2013) guess:

Definite Starters:
    Carlson - senior, probably switching between point and shooting guard in what will I hope be a much deeper guard rotation than this year.
    Dykstra - senior, hopefully depending on him less for rebounding and more for scoring, with a deeper front-line rotation than this year.

Probable Starters:
    C. White - senior, small forward, his 3-ball is too good to leave on the bench. Only reason he won't start is if somebody else comes in next year and takes it from him.
    Heemstra - senior forward/center, if he starts, I'd expect that he is subbed with Devine early and often.
    Bittle - sophomore, takes over point guard most of the time.

Might come back next year ready to start:

Devine - RS Freshman, see above. I think we may also see more Dykstra/Heemstra on the court at the same time next year, with Devine coming in for Heemstra at the post, and coming in for Dykstra occasionally . . .
    Horstman - junior, need him to rotate in for White and Dykstra, lets us "go small" subbing for Dykstra and "stay big" coming in for White.
    Donlan - RS freshman, because who doesn't want a guy who plays the scout-team version of Bader coming off the bench?

Diaper Dan . . . no, not gonna do it, not gonna go all Vitale on y'all . . . how about "newcomers who might not redshirt":
    Broman - true freshman, because who doesn't want a guy who can go for 70 available to come off the bench? Unless he's an absolute disaster defensively, then slap the red shirt on him.
    Severyn - true freshman, because wouldn't a real nine- or ten-man rotation just be nifty?

Probably not getting much game time:

Prince - junior, unless he can figure out a way to stay on the court, healthy and out of the doghouse. I dunno. However, next year's team might still need additional experienced depth at point guard, so he might just have a shot at a few minutes there, and if he can pull it off, who knows?
    Josh White - RS Fr. (last seen shagging balls at a Wolters late-night practice, I believe). Just a guess, as you never hear anything about him.

Purely Practice Players:
    Silva -RS Fr. Don't really know anything at all about him, honestly.
    Jacobsen - So.
    Feilmeyer - So.

The cupboard won't be totally bare when Nate leaves, but no doubt he'll leave big shoes to fill. I won't expect any one player to fill them. But starting four seniors and a sophomore should translate to a halfway-decent team, I would think.

/disclaimer: I don't know nuthin'.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

It will certainly be a different year for most (rational) fans. Going from expecting to win virtually every game and agonizing over virtually every defeat to a less intense "hope for the best" developmental year. I will enjoy it. Can't wait to see what Donlan can do, which 2013 recruits get a shot, how Bittle develops, and how Horstman responds to a bigger role. The cupboard is very far from bare, but next year will certainly be different. We might be quite a threat by tourney time if a couple underclassmen step up.

Comment

Lots of thoughts. Reserving them till after this season.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Josh White was a very strong defensive player at Edwardsville High, and that's a pretty good basketball program (25-2 this year). Funny he's gotten almost no attention.
        Last edited by Grizzled_Jack; 02-24-2013, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Let's face it the 4 seniors we know what we have and others will need to step up and the bench will have to contribute no doubt. What concerns me is if we don't develop a bench and nagy sticks with a 6-7 man rotaion will really come back to haunt us in 2 years. Losing 3 sure thing starters in white and dykstra and carlson and heemstra who is our 6th man this year. We lose a core of the team next year. Sure we lose wolters and fiegen but that's 2 guys with 4 key guys coming back. Next year we lose 4 guys and its a guessing game of underclassmen needing to take huge steps to fill those voids.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think next year's team can go deep if it's developed properly. When Wolters got injured, the rest of 'em let up. Next years team won't have that star quality but that can have advantages too.

Comment

Do you think Broman will play next year? How bout redshirting and getting some weight on him. He looks pretty skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                Do you think Broman will play next year? How bout redshirting and getting some weight on him. He looks pretty skinny.
                If you have ever seen his videos of him working out and his training schedule the kid is already tone and pretty strong. I'm sure he can get thicker in college but he will play barring an injury.
                It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

He has the whole summer to work on that. My take is severyn will be the only one who would be college ready physically. Would love to see the whole class redshirted so don't waste a year while he probably only plays a few minutes agame. I think with knowing we have 4 seniors and bittle and horstman and donlan and devine available next year. I don't see the imcoming freshman ready to surpase those guys imo.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Here is what I posted in the recruiting thread a few weeks ago, with a few additions....

Starters
                    G Bittle (I also feel that Carlson could start here and Horstman could start at SG, with Bittle coming off of the bench)
                    G Carlson
                    G/F White
                    PF Dykstra
                    C Heemstra

Bench
                    G/F Horstman (Probably gets the most time from our bench players)
                    G/F Prince (If he plays like he did his Fr year and improves upon it, he will get some good time....otherwise he is going to play a similar role to this year)
                    G/F Donlan (I think he plays some, he is just too much of a natural scorer to sit. He can also jump to the moon in a single bound.)
                    G/F Severyn (He is our physically most ready Fr for next year, but could also RS since we already have 4 other players at his position)
                    G Broman (I think he plays because of his shooting ability. It wouldn't surprise me if he plays a little PG as well as his natural SG for us)
                    C Devine (Him or Doyle have to play next year for depth reasons, still needs more muscle.....can't get over having a 6'11 frame though)

Also on another note.....Flatten and Doyle RS. I also believe we may have future plans for Josh White, there is a reason we kept his recruitment process so quiet.

I think we are going to see few things different for next year from this year...
                    1) We will use a deeper rotation, it's a great oppurtunity to develop depth with our youth.....if not, then I don't think Nagy will ever use a bench.
                    2) I think we will see us run an actual offense for the majority of the time rather than stand around and watch Nate play while running an offense for part of the game. We are going to see a bunch of 3-point attempts next year.

Prediction time:
                    1) We will win between 15-19 games, and finish 4th in the conference...Denver or the Bison will win the regular season title.
                    2) We will have our home winning streak snapped before the start of conference play.....we will be a scary team to play in the second half of the season though.
                    3) Carlson and Dykstra will both make an all conference team.

***All the above statements are my own and don't matter that much.

Comment

I'm intrigued enough that I will be buying 2014 Summit Tourney tickets in a couple weeks. We'll still have the " home crowd" and 4 veteran players when we take the court there a year from now.

Comment

Josh White was a very strong defensive player at Edwardsville High, and that's a pretty good basketball program (25-2 this year). Funny he's gotten almost no attention.
                        White has been recovering from a serious injury - that's why you haven't heard a lot about him. I believe he got injured in track right at the end of high school. I'm hearing that he is almost fully fit now.
                        Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

We might be under-valuing incoming recruit Logan Doyle, who's about 6-8 and reportedly plays tough. With Fiegen graduating, and Heemstra likely moving into a starting role, the Jacks will be thin again at 4 and 5.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            We might be under-valuing incoming recruit Logan Doyle, who's about 6-8 and reportedly plays tough. With Fiegen graduating, and Heemstra likely moving into a starting role, the Jacks will be thin again at 4 and 5.
                            From what I'm hearing he is not expected to be ready next year regardless of the need at the 4 or 5 spot. He is going to RS, I'm nearly 100% sure of that (I could be wrong, things could change). I think Flatten will RS as well. I think Broman plays, having his shooting ability on the floor will take some pressure off the other guards.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              From what I'm hearing he is not expected to be ready next year regardless of the need at the 4 or 5 spot. He is going to RS, I'm nearly 100% sure of that (I could be wrong, things could change). I think Flatten will RS as well. I think Broman plays, having his shooting ability on the floor will take some pressure off the other guards.
                              I'd agree. Just think about Fiegen his freshman season. It's one thing to play as a true freshman at the guard position, it's quite another to play as a 4 or 5.

If I remember correctly, Flatten is pretty young for his class so I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts and from what's been said about Severyn he is likely the most physically ready to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X