Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who's Got Next? Life After Wolters: 2013-14 Jackrabbits

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
    I'd agree. Just think about Fiegen his freshman season. It's one thing to play as a true freshman at the guard position, it's quite another to play as a 4 or 5.

If I remember correctly, Flatten is pretty young for his class so I wouldn't be surprised if he redshirts and from what's been said about Severyn he is likely the most physically ready to play.
    My expectation for next year is that Flatten red-shirts; Heemstra probably starts and is in a rotation with Devine and Dykstra. When Dykstra is in, on offense we try to go inside-out and post up White and Carlson, and try to pull the opponent's center out to try to guard Dykstra at the 3-point line. I would expect Devine to concentrate on defense and shot-blocking, and any offense we get from him will be a bonus. Heemstra will be the lynch-pin--playing a power forward in a two-post offense when in with Devine, playing a more traditional center spot when in with Dykstra.

Listen to me, trying to sound almost like I know what I'm talking about?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      We might be under-valuing incoming recruit Logan Doyle, who's about 6-8 and reportedly plays tough. With Fiegen graduating, and Heemstra likely moving into a starting role, the Jacks will be thin again at 4 and 5.
      We won't be any thinner than we have been the past couple years with Connor Devine coming off his redshirt year. We mostly run a 4-out/1-in offense, so having 3 posts to fill the role should be fine.

Barring injury, I don't see anyway Logan doesn't redshirt. He is a late bloomer who didn't garner any DI offers until this summer, and from what I've seen on video (which isn't a lot), his game is still pretty raw. That said, Mr. Doyle is a tough kid who will be a good player for us down the road. He may even become a fan favorite.

Just remember, it is a good thing to redshirt freshman post players. The difference in physicality between the high school and college game (especially near the basket) is enormous and most high school post players are not physically or emotionally mature enough to be significant contributors as true freshmen, and if they are they most likely will be going to a high major school.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
        We won't be any thinner than we have been the past couple years with Connor Devine coming off his redshirt year. We mostly run a 4-out/1-in offense, so having 3 posts to fill the role should be fine.

Barring injury, I don't see anyway Logan doesn't redshirt. He is a late bloomer who didn't garner any DI offers until this summer, and from what I've seen on video (which isn't a lot), his game is still pretty raw. That said, Mr. Doyle is a tough kid who will be a good player for us down the road. He may even become a fan favorite.

Just remember, it is a good thing to redshirt freshman post players. The difference in physicality between the high school and college game (especially near the basket) is enormous and most high school post players are not physically or emotionally mature enough to be significant contributors as true freshmen, and if they are they most likely will be going to a high major school.
        Redshirting post players at mid-majors are almost a must. They aren't as physically ready as posts that go to bigger schools. I wish the Jacks had Heemstra for two more years, and he is finally coming along at the end of this year.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
          Redshirting post players at mid-majors are almost a must. They aren't as physically ready as posts that go to bigger schools. I wish the Jacks had Heemstra for two more years, and he is finally coming along at the end of this year.
          Exactly he should have redshirted, and he would be ending his soph year now. that would have been huge for his development.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm all for red shirting as many as possible next year too. We seem to have a very nice year class coming in and it would be ideal to give them time to develop. The progress of Bittle, Horstman, Prince, and Donlan will obviously be critical in determining what happens with the 2013 class.

If Heemstra could have sat out that first year he would have served as a nice two-year bridge between Fiegen and Devine/Logan. We'll have to make do with a one-year bridge now. Unless someone else comes along, those two young guys are really going to have to step up two years from now. Maybe I am missing someone. Will there another be another 4/5 (aside from 2014 recruits) on the roster beyond Devine and Logan in 2014? If only there were a 6'9 former SEC player out there with a year or two of eligiblilty left to help out in 2014.... Oops, did I say that out loud?

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              I'm all for red shirting as many as possible next year too. We seem to have a very nice year class coming in and it would be ideal to give them time to develop. The progress of Bittle, Horstman, Prince, and Donlan will obviously be critical in determining what happens with the 2013 class.

If Heemstra could have sat out that first year he would have served as a nice two-year bridge between Fiegen and Devine/Logan. We'll have to make do with a one-year bridge now. Unless someone else comes along, those two young guys are really going to have to step up two years from now. Maybe I am missing someone. Will there another be another 4/5 (aside from 2014 recruits) on the roster beyond Devine and Logan in 2014? If only there were a 6'9 former SEC player out there with a year or two of eligiblilty left to help out in 2014.... Oops, did I say that out loud?
              Well, I was hoping to limit discussion on this thread to players we KNOW will be on next year's squad (barring any unforeseen events). Want to speculate about others? Start another thread!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

‎"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and the will to carry on." -Walter Lippmann

Read this morning and it seemed very pertinent to this discussion
                Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

True, but I think Wolters leads more by example than by personality. I get the idea that Tony's had more of the senior leadership than Nate, but that's just my observation. Dykstra's ready, as are Chad and Brayden.

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
                  ‎"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and the will to carry on." -Walter Lippmann

Read this morning and it seemed very pertinent to this discussion

Comment

Take it, and all of it's beauty in (via TV)......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olKrDcGOVz0 (Nate, Heemstra, and J. White)

Comment

Signs of life for Taevaunn Prince last night. I have not been a big fan of his this year, but last night he showed a glimmer of hope going forward. He should have two goals for the off-season. 1) Re-construct his jumpshot - his mechanics are not good and 2) Practice - he should be living in the gym shooting jumpers. If he could develop an outside shot it would really help his game. He is already pretty good off the bounce and a decent outside jumper would only enhance that part of his game.

Comment

This whole thread has JINX written all over it.
                        Enjoy the moment is my advice.

Comment

In the video White looks awfully small but he does have a decent shot.

Comment

I hope we rotate our bench more next year because we will be deep in good shooters and any night we should have at least have one shooter that is hot.

Comment

There are many combinations in the locker room for next year. Only one person has referred to Horstmann as a 4. He could play 2-4. He has been practicing at the 4 this year. With the shooting guards on the roster, I would even think that he may play the 3 and 4 in the rotation. It may push White into different defensive assignments if those 2 are on the court at the same time. I remember a smaller guy named Griff at the 4 and it takes some attitude to compete in that role. The offseason will provide the shape. Who will sacrifice the time and energy to gain the position? The game we hope for does not allow time off for summer softball for these young men.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Who will be the backup to Bittle and Carlson next year? Horstman? White? Donlan? Are Fielmeier and Jacobsen expected to remain practice team players? We hardly needed backups at the guard position this year with Wolters giving us 40 good miutes every night. I'm guessing that there will be more room for a third guard next year.

Though I know there will be more losses, I'm really looking forward to watching the "new generation" develop next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X