Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gameday Atmosphere

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    My understanding is Field Turf and other similar products do not have the injury issues that the old artificial turf and is more comparable to grass in terms of injuries. Let's face it if we have a heavy rain and the natural grass is torn up with divots etc. the players are going to be more prone to sustain an injury.
    I've played on both standard and field turf. Field turf does not have near the 'grab' that old fashioned turf can, minimizing injuries. It's much more forgiving on joints too. It would definitely be a wise decision to get it put in finally. It still blows my mind that an ag school can't keep grass alive.

Either that or get that stupid high school off the field. That doesn't help matters.

Comment

Originally posted by RunninRabbit View Post
      I've played on both standard and field turf. Field turf does not have near the 'grab' that old fashioned turf can, minimizing injuries. It's much more forgiving on joints too. It would definitely be a wise decision to get it put in finally. It still blows my mind that an ag school can't keep grass alive.

Either that or get that stupid high school off the field. That doesn't help matters.
      Stupid Brookings High School! Very Nice, by the way, who pd for the lights so we could have night games?

Can I get an Anwser!

Comment

Originally posted by tattoo View Post
        Stupid Brookings High School! Very Nice, by the way, who pd for the lights so we could have night games?

Can I get an Anwser!
        The lights, once again, I hope we don't have a discussion about the light. I guess I just should have paid for the lights (I'm kidding of course).
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RunninRabbit View Post
          I agree totally. Sit in the car and listen to the radio if you're going to get annoyed with someone standing up. That really pisses me off.
          Even if it's my wife sitting next to me who tells me to sit down and shut up?

Comment

dump her you can find some good looking college girls at the game to party with afterwards.

**of course, I'm Kidding...maybe

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
              Even if it's my wife sitting next to me who tells me to sit down and shut up?
              I would recommend marriage counseling. She obviously doesn't understand your desires and needs.

I kid, I kid. But seriously...

Comment

If it wasn't for some nutty Texans who thought they needed to build a stadium with a roof on it in the 1960s, there wouldn't be fake grass and we wouldn't be having this conversation!

I'm old school -- natural grass all the way! I just don't like fake grass, no matter how "real" it looks. And don't get me started on those ugly yellow soccer lines!

IMHO, the Prescription Athletic Turf (PAT) would be the way to go. Real grass with a drainage system. The old Mile High Stadium in Denver had it, and it held up very well in that climate.

Unfortunately, it's probably cost prohibitive and that's going to be the bottom line -- pardon the pun. I think the folks who care for our fields now do a great job, but if you put in the right kind of grass and give it the proper care year round, I would think it would hold up well into November.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, we're an ag school ... and we have a great horticulture department. You'd think we could come up with some sort of natural turf on our own that would hold up through the season.

Just my .02 ...
                "You trusted us"

Comment

Great catch on the pun, I never thought of that.

I'm not sure what the ag school can do. "You get a lot of rain, dirt changes to mud. Big people running around on mud will kick some of it up. Roots need some time to grow." Yes I know you can do drainage and other things, but how often in the history of CAS have we had conditions that led to the field on the night that shall not be named. Rare.

Therefore the condition of the field then should be a smaller concern than how does the field normally hold up. In a normal year does the playing surface decline in quality that it is not up to standards. If so, then the very rare instances like above tip the scale, IMHO.

I think the problem is that in normal years, the surface does deteriorate but right to the border on if it is unacceptable. About half the years it is ok at the end, the other half probably not. Howard Wood was never acceptable at the end of the year so it was an easy choice. But seven inches of rain within 24 hours of the game will devestate the field regardless of whether BHS plays on it. That is because that's the way God made grass.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Another thing to be aware of is that, (at least in the opinion of this ol' civil engineering grad) CAS is on fairly low ground--meaning the water table there is going to be pretty high most of the time. That makes a natural turf field even more problematic at the CAS site than old State Field, for instance.

Or, in the immortal words of my dear old departed civil engineer dad and my SDSU civil engineering professors:

DRAINAGE!!!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      Another thing to be aware of is that, (at least in the opinion of this ol' civil engineering grad) CAS is on fairly low ground--meaning the water table there is going to be pretty high most of the time. That makes a natural turf field even more problematic at the CAS site than old State Field, for instance.

Or, in the immortal words of my dear old departed civil engineer dad and my SDSU civil engineering professors:

DRAINAGE!!!
                      Its because of the water table level at the site that Coughlin could never be built sunkin into the ground, isn't it? I was thinking I'd heard that somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
                        Its because of the water table level at the site that Coughlin could never be built sunkin into the ground, isn't it? I was thinking I'd heard that somewhere.
                        The whole Sioux Valley (and 6-Mile Creek) is underlain by a wonderful sand/gravel surficial aquifer interconnected to the streams. Coughlin sits at the edge of the FEMA floodplain and that interconnected aquifer is just 4-5 feet below the surface during dry periods, and right at the surface or over at spring melt or high runoff times.

So, yes, Coughlin, at current location will never be a sunken stadium. In Brookings, would need to move to the ridge between 22nd/I-29 to attempt sinking 20/30 feet into ground.

Comment

I am nauseous from the display put on by our crowd tonight... It honestly makes me SICK that we can't make any noise..

The sad thing is that it doesn't make sense to bitch about it on here because everyone that reads this probably yells and screams at the games..

I have found that STANDING UP is the best way to help others get into the game.. If they dont stand up, they can't see... So, stand up in front of them - jump up and down - and yell!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
                            I am nauseous from the display put on by our crowd tonight... It honestly makes me SICK that we can't make any noise..

The sad thing is that it doesn't make sense to bitch about it on here because everyone that reads this probably yells and screams at the games..

I have found that STANDING UP is the best way to help others get into the game.. If they dont stand up, they can't see... So, stand up in front of them - jump up and down - and yell!
                            It did get somewhat loud at the end when the D needed them to, but I agree. I was only one clapping or yelling in the north endzone. Very dissappointing.

Comment

But man, me and the 4 other people out of 500 in section P were really yelling and clapping...

The west side sounded half decent though from the east side. The east side was definitely lacking though.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I thought the student section was decent, they have been better but for the most part they were good.

Comment

Working...
                                X