Gameday Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gameday Atmosphere

[quote=IdahoJack;86531]I too am a fan of natural grass, I just threw out the idea to get everyone's opinion. Where I live turf is not only artificial but also blue, so most anything else would be an improvement. With the money I get from winning the lottery I pledge to revamp CAS, buy BJS their own field, and if anything is left I will pay someone to paint the Dome pink!![/quote]

Rep points awarded!! I love it!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
      Oh, dear...soccer? Is nothing sacred anymore? OK, OK, I make no bones about my dislike of soccer. Swisher Field at Northern now has yellow soccer lines on it. They burn my eyes when I go to watch a football game. Can soccer and equestrian share the same facility? That'd be great.

Just to make me more...unpopular, I guess...I'm with the previous poster who likes natural turf and grass stains. Mud, too, although what happened two seasons ago was beyond unfortunate (both the field and how we played against W-EC).

With all of that having been said, I'm prepared to accept my punishment and be kicked off the board.
      The only people who would want soccer on it, would be Administration (and I'm not saying they do) My daughter plays and had a ton of scrapes (carpet burns...no snide comments please) after playing in Aberdeen....Most soccer players don't like it.
      Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
      Muhammad Ali

Comment

IMHO, with the weather we get in the upper midwest and the fact for the forseeable there will be two teams playing at Coughlin we absolutely need field turf in the near future. I'm glad to hear the athletic department also recognizes this. Coughlin can be used for so many other things ie. more high school football games, intramural events,Band Competitions etc if we have a more durable and versatile surface.

Comment

IMO PAT is the answer...to many injuries attributed the the fake stuff.....

http://www.themotzgroup.com/PAT/PAT_stats.php

and also leave soccer to their own field...either stay at fishback or possibly to the east of frost.
          Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
          Muhammad Ali

Comment

Just a few notes about Field Turf.

Field Turf lines do not have to be permanent. I have seen them remove lines. I've seen it with my own eyes.

The fields get very hot. The little black rubber balls they use absorb the sun. Might be a good thing on a cold November Day.

I've seen some Universities watering their turf. Not sure why, but they do it.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The only thing I know about Field Turf-type surfaces is that the University of Sioux Falls when with some fly-by-night turf brand (not Field Turf) and ended up with a football field with bumps and hills and wavy lines in it. And when the company went belly up, they also lost the ability to have it fixed. So if we do it, go with the real Field Turf brand turf.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My understanding is Field Turf and other similar products do not have the injury issues that the old artificial turf and is more comparable to grass in terms of injuries. Let's face it if we have a heavy rain and the natural grass is torn up with divots etc. the players are going to be more prone to sustain an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  The only thing I know about Field Turf-type surfaces is that the University of Sioux Falls when with some fly-by-night turf brand (not Field Turf) and ended up with a football field with bumps and hills and wavy lines in it. And when the company went belly up, they also lost the ability to have it fixed. So if we do it, go with the real Field Turf brand turf.

I refereed a game on it last year, it's awful. Very bumpy...you could tell it wasn't put down correctly.
                  As they say..."you get what you pay for"!

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by rational thought View Post
                    IMO PAT is the answer...to many injuries attributed the the fake stuff.....

http://www.themotzgroup.com/PAT/PAT_stats.php

and also leave soccer to their own field...either stay at fishback or possibly to the east of frost.
                    That looks like the stuff to use, it looks great, I had no idea the the Dolphins and Marlins play on it, I could have swore it was natural grass.

Comment

• Re: Gameday Atmosphere

I believe they 'water' artificial turf to cool it down. Boise State put in new Field Turf (the actual brand name stuff) this summer. The local paper showed picture of them putting it in, and to my eye it looked like the lines and numbers were permanently white. They had put in one of the other brands of new style turf, but it wore out faster that expected (all 4 Boise public schools play their home games on it, plus state playoff games), I think it lasted 5-6 years. The old turf was from whichever company is now out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJack View Post
                        I believe they 'water' artificial turf to cool it down. Boise State put in new Field Turf (the actual brand name stuff) this summer. The local paper showed picture of them putting it in, and to my eye it looked like the lines and numbers were permanently white. They had put in one of the other brands of new style turf, but it wore out faster that expected (all 4 Boise public schools play their home games on it, plus state playoff games), I think it lasted 5-6 years. The old turf was from whichever company is now out of business.
                        I have to ask.........is it still Blue?

Comment

It is still blue. The new turf is supposedly darker blue than before. Legend has it that when they first put in blue turf (1986?) that several ducks met there maker when trying to land on it before the lines were painted on! This is an unconfirmed legend, but the Boise River is less than 100 yard from the field, so ducks are always in the vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            That looks like the stuff to use, it looks great, I had no idea the the Dolphins and Marlins play on it, I could have swore it was natural grass.
                            The Dolphins and Marlins do play on natural grass... that was refering to their practice facility.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                              Let em piss and moan. Its hard, but if you can take it a bit then maybe some others around you that were too shy to do it will join you.

I agree totally. Sit in the car and listen to the radio if you're going to get annoyed with someone standing up. That really pisses me off.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                                The Dolphins and Marlins do play on natural grass... that was refering to their practice facility.
                                Whoops, probably should have done some reading

Comment

Working...
                                X