Gameday Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gameday Atmosphere

No doubt that there are times that UPD could act in a better way. That being said there are too many people in the back yard that believe tailgating is a right, fact is it is a privilege provided by the University and can be taken away. Seems to me that the best solution is to completely turn the lot into "sold" spaces only so there can be some more accountability.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
      Seriously, I read that link to KELO's site, that stuff that people described really goes on at your tailgating? Bottles being thrown, lude acts, etc.? I am suprised. That stuff doesn't happen in Vermillion (insert no fans to tailgate joke here). We just have a good time, drink some beer, grill some food, go to the game. No police harass us, it's just a good time. But seriously, I am not here to throw stones or pass judgement. I honestly didn't know that was going on. Is a "pushy" police presence the cause of some of the problems, instigating things?

Please treat this post with the seriousness it deserves...

Comment

Seriously, I read that link to KELO's site, that stuff that people described really goes on at your tailgating? Bottles being thrown, lude acts, etc.? I am suprised. That stuff doesn't happen in Vermillion (insert no fans to tailgate joke here). We just have a good time, drink some beer, grill some food, go to the game. No police harass us, it's just a good time. But seriously, I am not here to throw stones or pass judgement. I honestly didn't know that was going on. Is a "pushy" police presence the cause of some of the problems, instigating things?
        We're talking about a gathering in the SDSU Backyard of maybe 5,000 people, not you and 25 of your buddies in the DakotaDump(TM) parking lot.

I took a few laps of the backyard. It was packed with people and I didn't see anybody misbehaving. I saw quite a few police officers who were simply walking around being visible. All in all, it was a perfectly happy gathering from what I saw. No doubt there were some problems, but for the most part it was great fun.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          It's pretty simple to understand why, Blue. There are signs at the entrance to the tailgate area, noting bottles are not allowed. When I entered the area today, the security person was explaining that to people coming in...they went around telling everybody that last week. Bottles not allowed, seems simple to me.

Jacks fans, be proud. That was one heck of a backyard party. Issues? I seen none. I think the UPD, fans, SDSU students and SDSU staff should stand up and be recognized for an excellent party. Great job by all. Game atmosphere was tremendous. Great effort by Coach Stig and his team. Sometimes you simply need to commend the effort. Congrats to the Cowboys. Certainly a reason they are ranked in the top 10. Now we have a week to heal before Poly. We have them in our house at 6 PM. Chilly and we should be healthy finally.

Than off to conference play were the Jacks will have something to say about who wins the Valley championship. Good luck to the Jacks the balance of the season and thanks for all the excitement yesterday. I'll be back!

Go big, go blue, go Jacks

Comment

One thing that might not be a workable solution for everyone is the 30 minute announcement that the tailgate is now closed. Its sort of like "Last call for Alchohl" that you hear at 1;45AM in bars. I noticed from my game seat that most people in the tailgate area kind of kept on doing what they were doing and there was no rush to take their game seats since they are reserved after all. I dont think they need to crack down any further and just let people get to their seats when they feel they want to go there. When the game starts and someone is still hanging around the tailgate area and is still socializing then their presence can certainly be questioned and acted on appropritately by the UPD.

Priority parking lot empties out last now that the Pride is selling the other lots west of the staduim. I guess that one of the few negatives that we all have to deal with if you have contributed to the Jackrabbit Club and have earned that privilege. The game atomsphere is getting more and more exciting and thats what we all want.

Other than that I think we all need to be responsible for our actions and enjoy the game and the folks we have contact with.

Comment

I will commend the crowd during the end of the game and OT yesterday. During most of the game it was very quiet, but when the Jacks needed the fans they stepped up and did a good job I thought.

Very disappointing, but exciting game. I am so excited we still have three more home games. I already told my dad I wouldn't be out for the Pheasant Opener until at least Sunday.

Go Jacks!!!!

Comment

Our student section is bad, they don't get going at all. We try but after about 8 rows, there is no student presence it seems like at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  Our student section is bad, they don't get going at all. We try but after about 8 rows, there is no student presence it seems like at all.
                  I don't think our student section is bad i think it could be better. in my 5 years of SDSU football games. This is the loudest student section I have sat in. Don't pinpoint the students. Pinpoint all fans need to step it up and help our team after all the whole overtime was on OUR half of the field McNeese fans were on the opposite end of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    The student section might not be loud, but I know John is very happy with the student tournout this year. After the Youngstown game we brought up the fact that many students left at halftime and he said he was just happy that the student crowd is showing up the way it is. The student involvment may not be to the level that you or I would like it to be, but it has made a dramatic improvement in the last few years and the the coaches and players really appreciate that.

Comment

I did like the announcements made about the tailgate section closing over the loudspeaker. Maybe the Athletic Department/UPD/whoever realized it wasn't being handled properly before and this was a nice way to improve.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

the handling of the tailgating atmosphere at the hobo day game seemed much better on hobo day... I would even go as far as applaud the upd and the athletic department for making the appropriate adjustments

also the atmosphere at the game... and I realize this is very opponent specific or even perhaps hobo day specific... but some of the students were yelling some very inappropriate things at the McNeese bench... I noticed after halftime the Upd had about 8 officers over there...

Some of the things were way off key... so I was even embarrased about it.. I mean it is fine to heckle a bit -- but I do think that it needs to be held under some control... so again I applaud the upd for coming over and keeping that in check as well...

all in all Hobo Day was actually one of the best gameday experiences yet... I definitely did appreciate the crowd participation at the game... too bad we couldn't get that started earlier -- but will definitely take what I got... definitely one of the more memorable games at CAS...
                        - Walk Now For Autism Speaks - Sioux Falls - June 9, 2012: My Personal Page

Comment

Well said. Couldn't agree more. Kudos to whomever made the changes.

Originally posted by Jackrabbit_Joe View Post
                          the handling of the tailgating atmosphere at the hobo day game seemed much better on hobo day... I would even go as far as applaud the upd and the athletic department for making the appropriate adjustments

also the atmosphere at the game... and I realize this is very opponent specific or even perhaps hobo day specific... but some of the students were yelling some very inappropriate things at the McNeese bench... I noticed after halftime the Upd had about 8 officers over there...

Some of the things were way off key... so I was even embarrased about it.. I mean it is fine to heckle a bit -- but I do think that it needs to be held under some control... so again I applaud the upd for coming over and keeping that in check as well...

all in all Hobo Day was actually one of the best gameday experiences yet... I definitely did appreciate the crowd participation at the game... too bad we couldn't get that started earlier -- but will definitely take what I got... definitely one of the more memorable games at CAS...
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Brought a buddy to his first Jacks game this weekend and he was pretty blown away, mainly impressed.

The tailgating was great with good times had by all and very quiet UPD presence.

In the first half as we were standing cheering on the Jacks scores or the minimal Mcneese 3rd downs he looked at me and asked why nobody in our section section and the section next to us (E & F) stands up to cheer. Hmmmmm. Is this not what we have been talking about? Finally 4th quarter and OT we got the contingent up. Finally.

Let's keep it up as Cal Poly is now in the must win category. Corn isn't going to be combined by then anyways so all the birds will be in hiding. Go to a Jacks game.

Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!

Comment

You are correct. All of the bottle throwing and lewd acts take place in the Dakota Dump during the games.

To get back on topic. The presence was what it needed to be for Hobo Day. The UPD was there but not an ominous presence and everything went fine. I thought it was even better after the game. After the last game we were told to leave immediately. I got my kids in the truck and off we went except the traffic didn't let us get very far. We sat for 45 minutes and moved maybe 50 yards. My point is that the UPD wasn't a major presence after this game which allowed us to stay in our spot until the traffic was moving.

Overall, I thought it was one of the best Hobo Day experiences I can remember. A great crowd, everyone behaved, and a phenominal game. Just wish we would have been on top of the scoreboard.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                It's the day before Hobo Day. That is when KELO can get the most play out of it. Nothing more, nothing less. Neither right or wrong.

It would be nice to have a follow-up story afterwards reporting on how a huge crowd shows up for the Hobo Day game and has a great time while being in control but that doesn't help ratings.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                I made the above post before the game. It will be interesting to see if there is any positive stories written about a well-behaved Jackrabbit Nation on Hobo Day.

Also, could Mr. Langer write a follow up letter commenting how things went in his eyes?

All could be positives. It was a great day to be a Jackrabbit!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X