Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gameday Atmosphere

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    I guess I read the earlier post comment different than you, and apologize RR. I didn't read it that the visiting locker room would remain in Frost. That is not going to be the case. Our old locker room will become the visiting team locker room as I understand it.
    Not a problem...I can't hardly believe we'd leave the locker room over there for visitors.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      I guess I read the earlier post comment different than you, and apologize RR. I didn't read it that the visiting locker room would remain in Frost. That is not going to be the case. Our old locker room will become the visiting team locker room as I understand it.
      No, there are no plans to move the visiting locker room.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
        I asked Fred Oien that question on Saturday and he said the Dykhouse center would only have our locker room. The visiting locker room will remain in its present location even after the new facility is built.
        Isn't that a bit silly? I mean I'm all for tiring the other team out with the long walk to the HPER, but...it's a little embarrassing that we don't have (plans for) a visiting locker room near the field. It's a bit like high school. Maybe opponents can just take a knee in the end zone for their halftime talks? I know, I know...it all takes money. I certainly understand that.
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I am not up on all the rules for FCS football specifically the size of a travel team. If I recall correctly it was 55 for d2 and did I hear a 66 for FCS somewhere? I have never darken the door of the dressing room, but one of the comments that I heard more than once is that our dressing room is too small. Could it hold 66 players or what ever the FCS number is?

I can see where treatment of our opponent is a low priority in view of our other needs like a new staduim, but what to we gain by dishing the opponents with a crappy dressing room? I believe some former players mentioned certain odors that are also connected to this dressing room. So there are some improvements to be made.

Just my thoughts. I dont think its necessary to build a luxury facility for the opponents, but they should at least be up to conference and NCAA standards.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
            Isn't that a bit silly? I mean I'm all for tiring the other team out with the long walk to the HPER, but...it's a little embarrassing that we don't have (plans for) a visiting locker room near the field. It's a bit like high school. Maybe opponents can just take a knee in the end zone for their halftime talks? I know, I know...it all takes money. I certainly understand that.
            I noticed that YSU coaching staff wanted to take a knee in the end zone at half but some our staff apparently reminded them where they where suppose to go. (walk back to HPER). They may have just forgotten plus most of the YSU staff was probably not born when they last played at YSU, which was in the 1970's. If opponent decided to stay and watch the pride, what would stop that from happening? Besides our brave UPD night sticks. lol I feel good today.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I avoided Lincoln Nebraska for 20 years in favor of driving to Brookings to watch our team, but I now regret that as I dont have much appreciation for enthusiastic crowds and thats a lesson for me to learn.
              Believe me, there is just as much talk down here about lack of crowd involvement and old f#rts sitting on their butts -- and there was even when the Huskers were winning.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                Also, the fans in front of us started something on the kickoffs that started to catch on. Put two fingers in the air -- rabbit ears. Get those hands up am making rabbits on the kickoffs!
                I'm sorry, but IMHO, that was one of the dorkiest things I'd ever seen at a football game.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                  Believe me, there is just as much talk down here about lack of crowd involvement and old f#rts sitting on their butts -- and there was even when the Huskers were winning.
                  Well I am have not be an old far# forever and I did miss something by not going to Lincoln at least once. I even spring for a ticket when SDSU plays down there

Maybe my experience from the UCLA game of getting a nose bleed stopped me from heading to Lincoln, I dont know. Its so long ago and I remember the big climb to my seat and not daring to leave until the game was over. LA Coluseim is about the size of Memorial in Lincoln.

At any rate I hope all you younger alums stay enthused as if you guys get bored, SDSU athletics are in trouble. I cant begin to compare the crowds of 1988 at CAS with those of 2008. Huge difference and a huge improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I am not up on all the rules for FCS football specifically the size of a travel team. If I recall correctly it was 55 for d2 and did I hear a 66 for FCS somewhere? I have never darken the door of the dressing room, but one of the comments that I heard more than once is that our dressing room is too small. Could it hold 66 players or what ever the FCS number is?

I can see where treatment of our opponent is a low priority in view of our other needs like a new staduim, but what to we gain by dishing the opponents with a crappy dressing room? I believe some former players mentioned certain odors that are also connected to this dressing room. So there are some improvements to be made.

Just my thoughts. I dont think its necessary to build a luxury facility for the opponents, but they should at least be up to conference and NCAA standards.
                    Yes, it has housed about 100 SDSU football players for years. The size of the locker room is not the biggest problem. It is plenty big enough for a visiting team.... it is just not very nice at all.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                      Yes, it has housed about 100 SDSU football players for years. The size of the locker room is not the biggest problem. It is plenty big enough for a visiting team.... it is just not very nice at all.
                      Just throw a coat of pink paint on the walls and call it good when the Dykhouse Center is done. It doesn't have to be too pretty for limited use.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                        Just throw a coat of pink paint on the walls and call it good when the Dykhouse Center is done. It doesn't have to be too pretty for limited use.
                        The showers and toilets always worked, there was plenty of room for everyone to get dressed and a stereo that played loud. It ain't pretty but it wasn't so bad. It wasn't the worst lockerroom in the NCC by far. I'd argue that the one in the Dome was worse for football purposes.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                          The showers and toilets always worked, there was plenty of room for everyone to get dressed and a stereo that played loud. It ain't pretty but it wasn't so bad. It wasn't the worst lockerroom in the NCC by far. I'd argue that the one in the Dome was worse for football purposes.
                          Worst in NCC = St. Cloud... basically just dungeons under the stadium. The teams actually had to bus over to the hockey arena after the game to shower.

Comment

If you watch the postgame comments from the players they praise the enhanced atmosphere in terms of interest and increase in attendence since many of the upperclassmen arrived on campus. I still think we can get 14,000+ to make more noise at the right time, but that has been debated to death.

Comment

I don't think it's right to have the visiting team walk all the way back to Frost. I think other teams would look down on SDSU. You build a new building but you can't even maintain the old locker room for the visiting team. They spend about half the halftime walking back and forth. That means their coaches are at a disadvantage.
                              This isn't the same thing but colleges are allowed to make some decisions by themselves. SDSU's basketball media timeouts are 2 minutes. Most teams that come into SDSU have 1 1/2 minute timeouts. That's why most teams are on the court before our team leaves the huddle. I know you have to have the media timeout but why not shorten them like most other schools? At least in basketball both teams can spend the same amount of time in the huddle.
                              I think it would be nice if the coaches had the choice of using the old locker room or walking back to Frost. I know if most teams didn't use the old one it's a waste but I think teams would use that one. It worked for SDSU's home team and that's as many players as the traveling team in FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                I don't think it's right to have the visiting team walk all the way back to Frost. I think other teams would look down on SDSU. You build a new building but you can't even maintain the old locker room for the visiting team. They spend about half the halftime walking back and forth. That means their coaches are at a disadvantage.
                                This isn't the same thing but colleges are allowed to make some decisions by themselves. SDSU's basketball media timeouts are 2 minutes. Most teams that come into SDSU have 1 1/2 minute timeouts. That's why most teams are on the court before our team leaves the huddle. I know you have to have the media timeout but why not shorten them like most other schools? At least in basketball both teams can spend the same amount of time in the huddle.
                                I think it would be nice if the coaches had the choice of using the old locker room or walking back to Frost. I know if most teams didn't use the old one it's a waste but I think teams would use that one. It worked for SDSU's home team and that's as many players as the traveling team in FCS.
                                I couldn't disagree more.. Make the visitors walk!!! I like the idea of the visiting team feeling like they have to come INTO our house for the opening kickoff. I like to think that it gives us a nice little home field advantage or intimidation factor when walking into Coughlin Alumni for the first time. The 2 min vs. 1.5 min media timeout isn't even relavent in this circumstance.

Comment

Working...
                                X