Gameday Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gameday Atmosphere

From standing on the field, watching and listening to the student section was pathetic in the second half, but that could be due to the loss of the cheerleaders being replaced by the dance team. The old fart's side sounded lively in the second half. The East side was alright, especially in the area of WIU's fans.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
      The East side was alright, especially in the area of WIU's fans.
      Good, that's where I was. A few of us were persisent enough all game and slowly got more people into it.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I thought the crowd was more into it than last week, but it still could be better. I think a part of the problem with crowd is we've been reliant on the cow bell to make noise at crucial times, but that has been taken away. We need to make up for that with our throats and hands which is harder on a person's head and body.
        On a personal note, my wife thinks I caused some of the people around us to leave because of my yelling- particularly a few times for lack of calls (offensive pass int. anyone?). I certainly hope that was not the case.

Comment

Was a little turned off about the whole east side experience... here I bought three tickets since we have 2 kids under the age of 3 and figured we should have the extra room. We get up to our seats and somebody is in them. Unfortunately they were in the middle of the crowd and didn't want to make a fuss about the whole thing interrupting others gameday experience. So we ended up standing in the endzone... with a two year old that just isn't much fun.

I definitely agree with the earlier posts where the rotc people and the athletic dept need to figure out something to do with all these great new reserved seats. because what is currently being done just isn't working....

luckily we were able to find some seats later on in the game when the college kids got the munchies and cleared out some room... so we did find seats in the bleachers on the east side... but it was more than a little troublesome...

giving the thumbs down for the whole reserved section deal...
          - Walk Now For Autism Speaks - Sioux Falls - June 9, 2012: My Personal Page

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
            From standing on the field, watching and listening to the student section was pathetic in the second half, but that could be due to the loss of the cheerleaders being replaced by the dance team. The old fart's side sounded lively in the second half. The East side was alright, especially in the area of WIU's fans.
            I think the student section was down was because people left at half because we were up 24-0 not because of the cheerleaders moving. The cheerleaders have nothing to do with the student section cheering, the body painters lead the cheers, not the cheerleaders. I thought the student section did pick it up in the 4th

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabbit_Joe View Post
              Was a little turned off about the whole east side experience... here I bought three tickets since we have 2 kids under the age of 3 and figured we should have the extra room. We get up to our seats and somebody is in them. Unfortunately they were in the middle of the crowd and didn't want to make a fuss about the whole thing interrupting others gameday experience. So we ended up standing in the endzone... with a two year old that just isn't much fun.

I definitely agree with the earlier posts where the rotc people and the athletic dept need to figure out something to do with all these great new reserved seats. because what is currently being done just isn't working....

luckily we were able to find some seats later on in the game when the college kids got the munchies and cleared out some room... so we did find seats in the bleachers on the east side... but it was more than a little troublesome...

giving the thumbs down for the whole reserved section deal...
              I would think the Athletic Dept Staff would want know about these things. My suggestion would be to email or write Dr. Oien and let him know what happen in your case.

You are right, it does not appear to be working and they need more ushering staff to make certain everyone is where they are suppose to be. A couple sat down in front of me on the west side and I knew they were in the wrong seats, but did not think it was my place to kick them out. Fortunately, the gentlemen looked at this tickets again and realized he was in the wrong row. More ushers would help in these situations too. I think with fans that are used to high school games and open seating get a little confused with a reserve seat arrangement.

If we continue to have over 10k people and with the increase of reserve seating, more game day staff is needed. If the ROTC people are now all busy, the Athletic Dept needs to find other groups on campus or in the Brookings community to help out. These things should not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                I think the student section was down was because people left at half because we were up 24-0 not because of the cheerleaders moving. The cheerleaders have nothing to do with the student section cheering, the body painters lead the cheers, not the cheerleaders. I thought the student section did pick it up in the 4th
                I was in the student section. Many of the students did leave at half I was a little disappointed but what can you do. I had a feeling that the game would be close. Anyone going to UNI next week?

Comment

Maybe there needs to be a guide to cheering. It is great that we can have over 14k fans in CAS, but we need everyone to get behind the team to be a true 12th man.

I was one on the 4 in section P cheering all game long.

Comment

I think its funny that fans on here complain about how much the crowd sucks yet every postgame interview I've ever heard from the coaches and players say how awesome the atmosphere is and how great the crowd is.

If I remember right we've now won 7 in a row and CAS and have beaten 4 straight ranked opponents here.

Comment

Shouldn't we all want the fans to be more engaged everygame. It is not bitching. Just as a team want's to be better, so should the fans.

Comment

We worked hard to make noise in G. We stood on all third downs. Lots of yelling and cheering. The four people behind us (not old farts) weren't really impressed with our standing, I don't think. They were maybe just out of college. Other older people got a little into it, though. Also, the fans in front of us started something on the kickoffs that started to catch on. Put two fingers in the air -- rabbit ears. Get those hands up am making rabbits on the kickoffs! It's weird with no cowbell, but we need to make up for it in other ways. By the way, that no cowbell rule pretty much renders the school fight song null and void. Which sucks.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                          I thought the crowd was more into it than last week, but it still could be better. I think a part of the problem with crowd is we've been reliant on the cow bell to make noise at crucial times, but that has been taken away. We need to make up for that with our throats and hands which is harder on a person's head and body.
                          On a personal note, my wife thinks I caused some of the people around us to leave because of my yelling- particularly a few times for lack of calls (offensive pass int. anyone?). I certainly hope that was not the case.
                          It should have been more raucous, we almost blew a 24 point lead. When the players on the sidelines and on the field are throwing their hands in the air on 3rd & 4th, it means stand up and get PUMPED. Get off you lazy a$$ and yell. It seemed the north end of the west side was pretty good in the second half. Section E again trailed miserably.

Comment

On another note that the admin must have decided in the last week that was completely asinine was the removal of the area a lot of students tailgated in against YSU just north of the softball field. They charged $5 to park there this week, but you couldn't tailgate there. Who's freekin' moronic hairbrained idea was that? Removing of tailgating areas, are they trying to ruin the fun?

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                              On another note that the admin must have decided in the last week that was completely asinine was the removal of the area a lot of students tailgated in against YSU just north of the softball field. They charged $5 to park there this week, but you couldn't tailgate there. Who's freekin' moronic hairbrained idea was that? Removing of tailgating areas, are they trying to ruin the fun?
                              That change was the RESULT of student complaints. Some students complained last week that it wasn't fair that they were in the back of the tailgate area. The result? A bunch of drunken students throwing f-bombs around in the family area and by the Junior Jacks table.

I say move the students back by the softball field so there's some room for them to have their fun away from the family area. Nobody's begrudging student tailgaters their fun. But there's no reason parents should have to worry about what their kids are seeing and hearing when they're signing in for Junior Jacks points.

I hear that change came from somebody in another university unit outside of athletics who thought they were doing the students a favor. Sorry, but it didn't work out for anybody. Put it back the way it was.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                                That change was the RESULT of student complaints. Some students complained last week that it wasn't fair that they were in the back of the tailgate area. The result? A bunch of drunken students throwing f-bombs around in the family area and by the Junior Jacks table.

I say move the students back by the softball field so there's some room for them to have their fun away from the family area. Nobody's begrudging student tailgaters their fun. But there's no reason parents should have to worry about what their kids are seeing and hearing when they're signing in for Junior Jacks points.

I hear that change came from somebody in another university unit outside of athletics who thought they were doing the students a favor. Sorry, but it didn't work out for anybody. Put it back the way it was.
                                Wow it was stupid move by the students that complained. ISU students are across the street from the stadium and they still have a blast, I don't really care where I tailgate as long as I'm there and having fun. I agree with you JJ, there is no reason that the students need to be by the family section, most students that go to tailgating are going to get fall-down drunk before the game and when that happens they are going to get out of control and cause problems. Put us back where we were.

Comment

Working...
                                X