Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gameday Atmosphere

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    That change was the RESULT of student complaints. Some students complained last week that it wasn't fair that they were in the back of the tailgate area. The result? A bunch of drunken students throwing f-bombs around in the family area and by the Junior Jacks table.

I say move the students back by the softball field so there's some room for them to have their fun away from the family area. Nobody's begrudging student tailgaters their fun. But there's no reason parents should have to worry about what their kids are seeing and hearing when they're signing in for Junior Jacks points.

I hear that change came from somebody in another university unit outside of athletics who thought they were doing the students a favor. Sorry, but it didn't work out for anybody. Put it back the way it was.
    Doesn't make sense to me the students would complain. If they give you a place to drink and do your thing, use that spot. They need that area back for Hobo Days, though, or the entire tailgating area is going to be a packed mess.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      On another note that the admin must have decided in the last week that was completely asinine was the removal of the area a lot of students tailgated in against YSU just north of the softball field. They charged $5 to park there this week, but you couldn't tailgate there. Who's freekin' moronic hairbrained idea was that? Removing of tailgating areas, are they trying to ruin the fun?
      I think something has to be done to calm down the police presence in the backyard. I was tailgating with the chain gang and was absolutely amazed by the amount of badgering that was going on by the UPD.

I understand their concern with wanting to keep an eye on students, but I think they need to lighten up a little bit. I spoke to at least 15 alumni in the area around the chain gang spot who had been given some sort of warning by the UPD during the day.

People go to the backyard to enjoy themselves and support SDSU - not to get lectured repeatedly by a bunch of power hungry cops. I spoke to a few prominent alum's (won't use any names) who stated they were absolutely embarrased by the police attitude in the backyard.

These were not the type of fans you wanted to be pissing off. Just my 2 cents.
      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

I understand the why, but don't like that the tailgate area closes. It's especially sad there's no tailgating after the game. There certainly do seem to be more than enough cops in the Backyard. The embarassing part yesterday was when they drove though the Backyard using the PA system to announce, "The Backyard will close in 11 minutes. The Backyard will close in 10 minutes." It's all a little goofy. I've never had any problems with the police, but they are all over the place and could tone it down a bit. And that's MY two cents.
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I don't recall seeing one police officer in the tailgating area at Iowa State.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Here is an observation from the east seats. If the game starts at 6 and your seats are in the middle of the bleachers, don't show up 20 minutes late. Here is what happens. People spread out. I sat on the end of the row. By halftime, people started to spread out and I was down to one cheek on the bleachers. After the performance at halftime, I was going to sit down and the person with seat 2 was sitting in my spot. Also, students were once again let up there without tickets. They were walking up the bleachers asking if there was room for them. If you had a ticket, there should have been seats for you.

On a side note, how many people sitting on the east side have seen people slip on the steps leading up to the bleachers? I'm gonna let the HPER staff know they should put some slip-strips down.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Just time to post a couple of things tonight.

First, one heck of a game. We played a great first half. W. Ill. made some adjustments and we didn't respond, hence the battle that ensued. Didn't help that both our safeties were hurt. That is no excuse, however. Needed that FG and didn't get it. That is going to burn us one of these games. Too many easily preventable penalties, Stig should be able to make those go away. Proud to be a Jackrabbit fan and I thought the fans were good, sometimes great, sometimes not so good, but in the end good enough.

Last point, I have been one of those who wants people standing as much as possible. At Iowa State I didn't sit down once. At Jackrabbit home games I give my reserved seat to someone else, buy a GA ticket and stand on the sideline because I can't sit.

I want those who get upset at the alumni and other supporters at the game who don't stand to consider a couple of things. Last night one of my patients attended the game. This individual requested to be discharged from the hospital on Friday, in part, to attend the SDSU football game. I knew it was the right thing for her to do but was concerned because of her medical condition. She made it to the game with her family. There is NO WAY she could stand or yell, in fact she could barely raise her hands to clap but she was there.

Now, in no way am I saying each individual who complains about those standing in front of them is in any way in the same condition as my patient but you never know. So, please just consider the possibility and maybe even ask those behind you to explain why they are unhappy. Maybe even consider moving to an area where those around you don't mind if you stand. Enough said. I can't wait until Hobo Day. We'll be in the tailgate lot at 11 am sharp.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I think its funny that fans on here complain about how much the crowd sucks yet every postgame interview I've ever heard from the coaches and players say how awesome the atmosphere is and how great the crowd is.

If I remember right we've now won 7 in a row and CAS and have beaten 4 straight ranked opponents here.
                Thank you! I am glad to read something in support of the Jacks fans. I am finding it difficult to continue to read smack about our own fans. Many of which have been setting in those seats long before many of the people posting ever attended a game. We should be happy they support the Jacks both by their attendance and the money they donate. If your a fan that likes to stand up and cheer and I am - than stand up and cheer. If some fans are upset with that, so be it. Twenty or thirty years they'll get over it.

Now to the game. Great win Jacks. WI is an excellent team and will win many games in this conference. Just appeared to me that we went a little conservative with our offensive play calling in the second half. Couple of great kicks by out punter (Pritty?) to pin the Necks back deep in their own territory. 2-0 in this conference is something to hang your hat on. We owe UNI. Played them tough twice. Its now time for a win.

Tailgating! Someone needs to reel in those campus cops! It was embarrasing to watch them harrass the students and some of the adults that were simply trying to enjoy themselves. We were asked to leave the tailgate area after the game when the traffic was still backed up into the backyard. Zero common sense with this group. Fans will start staying away from the tail gate area if this continues and that would be to bad. We have something real special going on.

Congrats Jacks and good luck next week at UNI.

GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                  Thank you! I am glad to read something in support of the Jacks fans. I am finding it difficult to continue to read smack about our own fans. Many of which have been setting in those seats long before many of the people posting ever attended a game. We should be happy they support the Jacks both by their attendance and the money they donate. If your a fan that likes to stand up and cheer and I am - than stand up and cheer. If some fans are upset with that, so be it. Twenty or thirty years they'll get over it.

Now to the game. Great win Jacks. WI is an excellent team and will win many games in this conference. Just appeared to me that we went a little conservative with our offensive play calling in the second half. Couple of great kicks by out punter (Pritty?) to pin the Necks back deep in their own territory. 2-0 in this conference is something to hang your hat on. We owe UNI. Played them tough twice. Its now time for a win.

Tailgating! Someone needs to reel in those campus cops! It was embarrasing to watch them harrass the students and some of the adults that were simply trying to enjoy themselves. We were asked to leave the tailgate area after the game when the traffic was still backed up into the backyard. Zero common sense with this group. Fans will start staying away from the tail gate area if this continues and that would be to bad. We have something real special going on.

Excellent points and I agree. Especially with the points about the UPD. At halftime I went out with two of my children and two of their friends (ages 6 and under), my brother and a friend to take down the flagpole and canopy and put away table and chairs. The UPD stopped by not once but twice to check on us. We are talking about 35 year old men and their children putting our personal possessions away. Not to mention that fact that each of us provide financial support to the university.

Then, after the game, while hundreds of cars wait in line we choose to sit and watch the post-game interviews and listen to WNAX. Again, I'm the youngest adult their at age 35 with 6 kids and 5 other adults. First the UPD pulls up bright lights in our face and asks us to clear out. Where in the hell were we going to go? The only thing we were drinking was soda and water while the kids ran around waiting for traffic to clear. They stopped by FOUR MORE TIMES!!

Don't get me wrong. I agree, enforcement of the rules is necessary. However, its difficult to enforce those rules when you target those who are least likely to violate them. Common sense must not be strongly considered when hiring UPD officers. I must admit that they made me uncomfortable and that is a bad thing. I'll be back but I know some people who won't return because of the UPD. Again, that is a bad thing. I will speak to Fred for sure.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    That might make sense. I was under the impression that they're tearing that old building down. I could be wrong, but I think there's a visiting locker room in the new building. Let me check.
                    I asked Fred Oien that question on Saturday and he said the Dykhouse center would only have our locker room. The visiting locker room will remain in its present location even after the new facility is built.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                      I asked Fred Oien that question on Saturday and he said the Dykhouse center would only have our locker room. The visiting locker room will remain in its present location even after the new facility is built.
                      If that is the case, then that is amazingly dumb, IMO.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        Oh I agree completely. It makes zero sense to me, and I believe it is very classless to continue to house the visiting team over there. He said the reasoning was that the current building wasn't nice enough. However crappy that locker room may be (and it is very crappy), I guarantee opposing teams would rather be in there as opposed to walking over to Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post

I too second the excellent points made. I am an older fan and alum, and where I sit, the next 16 rows in front of me are made up of people older than myself. For that reason I have never had the opportunity to tell someone to shut up and sit down. Most do sit and standing up is not a problem but I do like being on my feet for 3 and 2 plays. I think most of the older folks would probably like to stretch their legs too.

I do like the new gusto that seems to come from the younger alums especially since the move to D1 occurred. Its very surprising to me. So stand and shout if you like, and I will probably join in as I like to stretch my cramped legs. I just not one to be vocal about anything.

As far as UPD, I have no experience since I walked through the tailgate area maybe four times since it was started. I suspect they were given a narrow policy to enforce so they are not about to offer exceptions even if you are purely innocent as Jackmd. The thing that did irriate me was the ushers directing traffic out the priority parking lot and maybe I should have put my right signal on as I turned out of the parking light and perhaps the guy directing traffic would have directed me to go west towards Medary as I wanted to do. Instead and maybe its my fault for not signaling right, the traffic director point me east which threw me into more traffic and aggravation. I wish the professional UPD had been directing traffic rather than some Beef Club member or ROTC cadet or who ever who no doubt was acting as a volunteer. Its no big deal but I observed in going on the street east of CAS what it was to get out the tailgate area. Not easy by any means. I got home maybe a few minutes later than normal, but the win was a savory thing that kept me calm. If WIU had connected on the 2pt extra, I might have been less calm.

As an older alum I really appreciate all the younger alums and what they have done so far to make D1 a success.

Years ago I watched a UCLA game in LA. Billy Kilmore was the QB so that puts us back to 1960. Other than that game, I really have not seem much D1 FBS football. I avoided Lincoln Nebraska for 20 years in favor of driving to Brookings to watch our team, but I now regret that as I dont have much appreciation for enthusiastic crowds and thats a lesson for me to learn.

So basically I have turned over a new leaf and if I could find some of the post that I made from last week, I would delete them, but got other things to do. If I am still here and of sound mind when the new CAS becomes more of a reality, I am not going to be quiet about the aisles and hand rails as they are in their current status. These are things that need correction. A few elvators would not be such a dumb idea either.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            Pretty hard to call it dumb IMO...We're building a football center on the north that is barely adequate (wanted $12 million to put it up and another $2 million to equip it.) We have added 27 scholarship players, and enlarged the coaching staff. The building will house the academic counseling area and strength and conditioning (for all sports). We need a GOOD locker room for our team as we try to continue to recruit top FCS athletes.

Given all that, we need to utilize the building we are getting and not worry about a visiting team locker room. We can get them to the field, without using Frost, by utilizing the building that is there. When a new stadium is built, we can consider taking care of the visiting team better.

One final note on the thread topic: I get disappointed in the fans too at times, but up in my area (top 1/3 of Section F), we (and I'm an old f**t) are able to get the fans up and working hard at least on the visitors' third downs. I see some other groups starting to get it working as well. I'm hopeful it will grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Pretty hard to call it dumb IMO...We're building a football center on the north that is barely adequate (wanted $12 million to put it up and another $2 million to equip it.) We have added 27 scholarship players, and enlarged the coaching staff. The building will house the academic counseling area and strength and conditioning (for all sports). We need a GOOD locker room for our team as we try to continue to recruit top FCS athletes.

Given all that, we need to utilize the building we are getting and not worry about a visiting team locker room. We can get them to the field, without using Frost, by utilizing the building that is there. When a new stadium is built, we can consider taking care of the visiting team better.

One final note on the thread topic: I get disappointed in the fans too at times, but up in my area (top 1/3 of Section F), we (and I'm an old f**t) are able to get the fans up and working hard at least on the visitors' third downs. I see some other groups starting to get it working as well. I'm hopeful it will grow.
                              I agree with you, the visiting team can use the lockerroom the Jacks currently use, but I'm saying that when we move our lockerroom to the new building and the visitors still have to make the 1/4 mile hike to Frost, then that's dumb, IMO.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I guess I read the earlier post comment different than you, and apologize RR. I didn't read it that the visiting locker room would remain in Frost. That is not going to be the case. Our old locker room will become the visiting team locker room as I understand it.

Comment

Working...
                                X