Gameday Atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gameday Atmosphere

Some of the maintenance costs such as mowers, gas, seed/sod, fertilizer, irrigation and associated labor go away. Labor costs vary significantly from one region of the country to another. Having run the numbers in the past, maintenance costs are lower for "field turf" than for natural grass. Just how much of a difference varies and is typically part of the study required in the purchase decision process.

I'm old school, so I still grass stains.

Comment

Apparently my grammar sucks too. I meant to say I still prefer grass stains.

Comment

Originally posted by OtownJack View Post
        Apparently my grammar sucks too. I meant to say I still prefer grass stains.

You can "edit"(bottom right hand corner of your post) anytime and as long as you do it before too long a time period goes by, no one will even know. I use that feature frequently!

Welcome to the board!

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          If I won the Powerball, funding a FieldTurf upgrade to CAS would be high on the list . . .
          Then it's a race to the Powerball jackpot, because I'm upgrading the natural turf when I win and my donation to refurbish the stadium will have a caveat that no artificial turf shall ever be within 20 miles of Coughlin Alumni. But that's just me. I hope you and I someday get to have that argument in reality Filbert. Your powerball earnings v. mine.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

This is from the Fargo Forum about student tickets being gobbled up for NDSU games. They've had to make more available. It would be a good problem to have...

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?p...full&id=212993

Any feel for how many students attend an SDSU home game on a good day?
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Would it be feasible in the future of CAS upgrades to include field turf that was lined not only for football but soccer as well. If it is, than not only can Jacks football and soccer play there (three teams), but BHS football and soccer play there (multiple teams), and possibly be a destination for state playoffs in both sports or regional tournaments. I don't know what that would do to the longevity of the surface as far as wear and tear, but would hopefully not place all the burden of the cost on 1 program. Just a thought!

Comment

The high school my children attended put in field turf about 8-10 years ago. It is striped or marked for both football and soccer. I really do not think SDSU would want a new facility and field to have the annoying soccer markings (my kids played soccer) all over it. The field turf has been a very good investment but our current turf is definately in need of replacement so the cost of replacement every 10 years or so needs to be considered too

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJack View Post
                  Would it be feasible in the future of CAS upgrades to include field turf that was lined not only for football but soccer as well. If it is, than not only can Jacks football and soccer play there (three teams), but BHS football and soccer play there (multiple teams), and possibly be a destination for state playoffs in both sports or regional tournaments. I don't know what that would do to the longevity of the surface as far as wear and tear, but would hopefully not place all the burden of the cost on 1 program. Just a thought!
                  Whether feasible or not, God forbid that ever happens. Like a track around your football field, nothing screams high school like having your football field lined for soccer, lacrosse or any sport. My huge donation from my huge PowerBall winnings will carry the caveat that no soccer lines ever touch the turf at CAS.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                    Then it's a race to the Powerball jackpot, because I'm upgrading the natural turf when I win and my donation to refurbish the stadium will have a caveat that no artificial turf shall ever be within 20 miles of Coughlin Alumni. But that's just me. I hope you and I someday get to have that argument in reality Filbert. Your powerball earnings v. mine.
                    OK, the first thing on my list is fitting out the Dykhouse Center, followed by building a right nice practice facility/Fieldhouse.

Then we can do rock-paper-scissors for the new turf.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, dear...soccer? Is nothing sacred anymore? OK, OK, I make no bones about my dislike of soccer. Swisher Field at Northern now has yellow soccer lines on it. They burn my eyes when I go to watch a football game. Can soccer and equestrian share the same facility? That'd be great.

Just to make me more...unpopular, I guess...I'm with the previous poster who likes natural turf and grass stains. Mud, too, although what happened two seasons ago was beyond unfortunate (both the field and how we played against W-EC).

With all of that having been said, I'm prepared to accept my punishment and be kicked off the board.

Originally posted by IdahoJack View Post
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        I agree completely. I think it is to our advantage to have natural grass. The teams that are playing on artificial surfaces every week often become so accustomed to that surface that they struggle playing outside on natural grass (USD is a good example of that). This can be due to the length of the grass vs. shorter turf, inconsistencies in the grass that are not present in field turf, and the crowning of the field which a field turf surface does not have. As more and more teams are going to artificial surfaces I think it is to our distinct advantage to stay with natural grass... especially playing in the north in October and November.

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                          I agree completely. I think it is to our advantage to have natural grass. The teams that are playing on artificial surfaces every week often become so accustomed to that surface that they struggle playing outside on natural grass (USD is a good example of that). This can be due to the length of the grass vs. shorter turf, inconsistencies in the grass that are not present in field turf, and the crowning of the field which a field turf surface does not have. As more and more teams are going to artificial surfaces I think it is to our distinct advantage to stay with natural grass... especially playing in the north in October and November.
                          I heard that line of thought before, but I have always questioned the validity in it. Teams that play in domes cannot play outdoors and vice versa; and teams that play on natural grass cannot play on turf and vice versa. If you look at SDSU having an artificial surface for games, I would doubt their practice field would be artificial. So I would think they would be equally prepared for both. I am not a sport psychologist. If it is true I think it would have to be mental thing and easy to overcome for a well prepared team.
                          We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
                            But wouldn't those same advantages at home turn around to be disadvantages on the road? With our conference, the games are going to be split home/away pretty much 50-50. If most other schools are switching to the artificial surface, then we are more likely to be on turf when on the road ... I guess what I am trying to say is that if we have the players, the surface won't matter much.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              But wouldn't those same advantages at home turn around to be disadvantages on the road? With our conference, the games are going to be split home/away pretty much 50-50. If most other schools are switching to the artificial surface, then we are more likely to be on turf when on the road ... I guess what I am trying to say is that if we have the players, the surface won't matter much.
                              Oh yeah, you're absolutely right if you have the better players you're going to win most of the time. I just like the idea of playing on a natural grass field vs. a turf team. It's different. Natural grass is a slower surface which can cause timing problems for a team that spends a lot of time on an artificial surface.

Comment

I too am a fan of natural grass, I just threw out the idea to get everyone's opinion. Where I live turf is not only artificial but also blue, so most anything else would be an improvement. With the money I get from winning the lottery I pledge to revamp CAS, buy BJS their own field, and if anything is left I will pay someone to paint the Dome pink!!

Comment

Working...
                                X