Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gameday Atmosphere

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
    I've figured they wouldn't install the old astro turf anymore, I just couldn't recall the name FieldTurf off the top of my head (I was thinking it was a little more complex than that), and was too lazy to look anything up. Athletes would be too prone to injuries on the original astroturf. It appears the cost of field turf is coming down if this many high schools are making the investment towards it. Hopefully its up there on the priority list, in my mind this is something that should be done at the time of the first phase of a stadium upgrade, if not even before that. Grass is nice, but its just not something easily maintainable in the fall in Brookings.
    I would guess the O&M is considerably less with the field turf. Over the long run that may balance out the initial cost difference. This strictly a guess....anyone else have any facts to support this?

Comment

If I won the Powerball, funding a FieldTurf upgrade to CAS would be high on the list . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by launcher46 View Post
        Visiting lockerrooms.
        That might make sense. I was under the impression that they're tearing that old building down. I could be wrong, but I think there's a visiting locker room in the new building. Let me check.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I would guess the O&M is considerably less with the field turf. Over the long run that may balance out the initial cost difference. This strictly a guess....anyone else have any facts to support this?
          Not as much as you would think, but the SF school district did say that it was some what cheaper. I believe your big savings come in those rare years where you realize the only way to get a playable surface is tearing out the old and putting down new sod. Just my memory on this though.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I've been told that the maintenace on the Field Turf runs similar $$$$ to natural grass so there isn't a savings there. Not sure what all is needed for maintenance but one of the major costs is chemicals to keep bacteria such as staph organisms from being harbored in the turf.

I remember seeing an article about that problem in USA Today or the Argus but can't search for it at the moment.

The big plus is the conditions of the field are consistent which is better for game conditions and I would have to think is a help in avoiding injuries.

There will always be a part of me that misses the natural grass but a change is probably for the better.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            Last edited by SUPERBUNNY; 09-10-2008, 10:36 AM.
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              I've been told that the maintenace on the Field Turf runs similar $$$$ to natural grass so there isn't a savings there. Not sure what all is needed for maintenance but one of the major costs is chemicals to keep bacteria such as staph viruses from being harbored in the turf.

I remember seeing an article about that problem in USA Today or the Argus but can't search for it at the moment.
              You are right about Staph being a bacteria. Just drop that virus part and replace it with "organism". Viruses are much different than bacteria. Sorry for the discourse, not important.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                You are right about Staph being a bacteria. Just drop that virus part and replace it with "organism". Viruses are much different than bacteria. Sorry for the discourse, not important.
                The edit has been made.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Just a clarification about the east side being reserved. I'm told that general admission ticket holders are allowed to fill in over there. That was the case last Saturday and will be the case this Saturday. Reserved seat holders have priority seating (obviously most of those ticket sales are around the 50-yard line) but GA can fill in the ends of those bleachers.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

While I can see that being potentially confusing, it also seems to make good common sense. Hope it works well.

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    Just a clarification about the east side being reserved. I'm told that general admission ticket holders are allowed to fill in over there. That was the case last Saturday and will be the case this Saturday. Reserved seat holders have priority seating (obviously most of those ticket sales are around the 50-yard line) but GA can fill in the ends of those bleachers.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      That solution somewhat solves my concern.

I still think selling the middle three as reserved and the rest as general and then expanding it as the reserved gets fuller would go farthest to work people into the mode of buying reserved and wouldn't upset the person coming to their first or only game of the year.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                        When the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center is completed, what are the plans for the current football locker room? I suspect it becomes the visiting locker room, but does anyone know for sure. I thought they maybe become storage for SDSU game day staff, cheer squads etc. I do not think any storage exists currently. I also thought another set of rest rooms might be the most appreciated by fans or possible concessions if they were worth remoldeling. Maybe just tear them down for some thing newer/ better.
                        Just checked it out. The current thinking is that the old locker room building will become a permanent location for the Bookstore's merchandise sales and possibly an additional concession area. I think that means that visiting teams will locker in the Dykhouse Center.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

We should just take the heat and hot water out of the current locker rooms.....and give it to them (opponents) for there use....that's about what we had when we went to Youngstown in 79 and UND's old lockerroom wasn't much better.
                          Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                          Muhammad Ali

Comment

There is no doubt there are some crappy locker rooms out there (St. Cloud anyone). Even in the FCS there are some bad ones in nice stadiums (MSU, SUU, Tex St, Montana to name a few). But that is not how our administration will operate. The visiting teams will be treated with respect until they hit the field then all bets are off.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

Just a little bit of information regarding Field Turf. Field Turf is actually a brand name, and is only one of many synthetic grass surfaces on the market. Most people normally call it "field turf" because it was the first of its kind on the market.

Anyways, this type of turf is not maintenance free. In addition to the items mentioned above, there is additional maintenance/equipment required (adding crumb rubber on occasion, "sweeping" the surface, debric pickup, etc). Regardless, the consistency of the playing surface is hard to beat.

Costs range from $750k to over $1M for a football field conversion from natural grass to synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by OtownJack View Post
                                Just a little bit of information regarding Field Turf. Field Turf is actually a brand name, and is only one of many synthetic grass surfaces on the market. Most people normally call it "field turf" because it was the first of its kind on the market.

Anyways, this type of turf is not maintenance free. In addition to the items mentioned above, there is additional maintenance/equipment required (adding crumb rubber on occasion, "sweeping" the surface, debric pickup, etc). Regardless, the consistency of the playing surface is hard to beat.

Costs range from $750k to over $1M for a football field conversion from natural grass to synthetic.

Good first post OtownJack! I'll give you you're first Rep Point. Do you have any idea what the average yearly "maintance costs" are this type of "field turf"??

Go Jacks!!
                                SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                                X