Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lujan or Christion?

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    I'm not sold on the idea that Lujan is a better passer than Christion. Go with the hot hand and let Lujan earn his job back in practice. On that note, whatever Stig decides I'll support. He has his reasons for whatever he decides and he is the one that knows how it will affect the team both short and long term. Go Jacks!
    Because lujan knows when to pull the trigger and give the guys a chance to make a play. Tc if they aren't really open he is to hesitant. Hopefully that's something they are working on coaching with him.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      I'm not sold on the idea that Lujan is a better passer than Christion. Go with the hot hand and let Lujan earn his job back in practice. On that note, whatever Stig decides I'll support. He has his reasons for whatever he decides and he is the one that knows how it will affect the team both short and long term. Go Jacks!
      Stig said again last night, Lujan is #1 on depth chart, noting that Lujan beat out Christion before the season started, had played well in every game (and the NDSU loss was not BAM his fault) before being injured. He praised Christion's body of work in the interim, and also noted that meant he would see playing time (i.e., possibly "2 QB". For those who say TC should be #1, he indicated the #1 tag for Lujan is dependent on him being "100% ready physically", which might not be this week, although that had not been determined yet. So keep your powder dry for a little while anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
        Stig said again last night, Lujan is #1 on depth chart, noting that Lujan beat out Christion before the season started, had played well in every game (and the NDSU loss was not BAM his fault) before being injured. He praised Christion's body of work in the interim, and also noted that meant he would see playing time (i.e., possibly "2 QB". For those who say TC should be #1, he indicated the #1 tag for Lujan is dependent on him being "100% ready physically", which might not be this week, although that had not been determined yet. So keep your powder dry for a little while anyway.
        FWIW, in this week's depth chart, it says Taryn Christion or Zach Lujan. That would seem to indicate that Lujan is healthy.

Comment

Cool. Make UNI prepare for two different styles of QB's. I'm 100% fine with that.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
            FWIW, in this week's depth chart, it says Taryn Christion or Zach Lujan. That would seem to indicate that Lujan is healthy.
            Actually, it said the same thing in last week's depth chart upon further review. So that doesn't mean anything other than UNI will have to prepare for both.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Because lujan knows when to pull the trigger and give the guys a chance to make a play. Tc if they aren't really open he is to hesitant. Hopefully that's something they are working on coaching with him.
              Lujan knows he has to pull the trigger, because he has little to no running ability, so he throws some passes he probably shouldn't. (Without Wieneke, some of those passes are interceptions) TC is hesitant right now because he's a freshman, doesn't want to make a bad play, and knows he has the ability to run if he needs to. As I have stated in many of my posts, I am not bashing Lujan, I was all for him when he was the best QB option on our team... Things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Lujan knows he has to pull the trigger, because he has little to no running ability, so he throws some passes he probably shouldn't. (Without Wieneke, some of those passes are interceptions) TC is hesitant right now because he's a freshman, doesn't want to make a bad play, and knows he has the ability to run if he needs to. As I have stated in many of my posts, I am not bashing Lujan, I was all for him when he was the best QB option on our team... Things have changed.
                until TC isnt afraid to pull the trigger IMHO that makes lujan a better passer. If they are only having him pass a handful of times agame, that means the coaching staff probably isnt ready for him to have 25-30 attempts. Lujan can handle that. If we get into a shoot out and have to throw the ball. I am a little leary of a guy who has maybe 30 pass attempts his whole career and is a little gun shy. If the D keeps rolling and TC gets the majority of playing time, I would expect him to improve, in game and in season adjustments arent always that easy.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  until TC isnt afraid to pull the trigger IMHO that makes lujan a better passer. If they are only having him pass a handful of times agame, that means the coaching staff probably isnt ready for him to have 25-30 attempts. Lujan can handle that. If we get into a shoot out and have to throw the ball. I am a little leary of a guy who has maybe 30 pass attempts his whole career and is a little gun shy. If the D keeps rolling and TC gets the majority of playing time, I would expect him to improve, in game and in season adjustments arent always that easy.
                  Lujan's lack of mobility forces him to make rushed throws and bad decisions. I feel TC gives us best chance to win going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 2m2 minutes ago
                    Jacks coach John Stiegelmeier: "Once (Zach) Lujan is healthy we'll do something we haven't done here and play two quarterbacks."

Tweet from Zimmer just now.
                    Glad to see the coaches are taking my advice. Please send me my "Official Armchair Quarterback" shirt now please. I will wear it with pride.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Lujan's lack of mobility forces him to make rushed throws and bad decisions. I feel TC gives us best chance to win going forward.
                      Are you serious he makes bad decisions? I would say thats one of his strengths. He puts the ball where his reciever has a play on it and if he misses them rarely is it in worry of INT. He stands in the pocket keeps his feet moving so he can make a throw. unless its NDSU rushing thru every play, Lujan does really well keeping the play alive. He can scramble enough if needed too when flushed from the pocket. TC has made some throws, but also tucks it when its not there and takes off running.

Maybe I am watching 2 different QBs then everyone else on the board. but Lujan has played really really well, as has TC. but in 4 games, 1 was FBS and 1 NDSU Lujan has 9 TD and avg over 310 yards agame. And people want to take him off the field just like that. His numbers, production, leadership are all top notch and TC seems to have a lot of those positives also.

I think the best we have had since being D-1 is Berry one year avg about 260 yards agame.

I know stats dont mean much to some on here, but the only weak team Lujan had was RMU, both them and SUU were respectible by every measure. Obviously not MVFC good, but still pretty good non con teams.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        Cool. Make UNI prepare for two different styles of QB's. I'm 100% fine with that.
                        Not really. UNI will prepare for TC and if Lujan comes in the adjustments would be easy. Running plays would just have 1 more guy for them to go for the RB since the QB won't keep the ball, and passing plays d-line can be aggressive as they want since there isn't a scrambling threat and secondary make sure to cover #19 since that's where the majority of passes will go. If I'm UNI's d coordinator I'm hoping its Lujan that plays

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                          ......Running plays would just have 1 more guy for them to go for the RB since the QB won't keep the ball..........
                          Except for this little thing called the "Play-Action Pass"........

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                            Not really. UNI will prepare for TC and if Lujan comes in the adjustments would be easy. Running plays would just have 1 more guy for them to go for the RB since the QB won't keep the ball, and passing plays d-line can be aggressive as they want since there isn't a scrambling threat and secondary make sure to cover #19 since that's where the majority of passes will go. If I'm UNI's d coordinator I'm hoping its Lujan that plays
                            This ^. NDSU showed teams what the recipe is to stopping Wieneke and Lujan. Pin your ears back and blitz. Now, there are ways to work around that, like a screen pass, but for some reason that play must not be in our repertoire. Everyone keeps saying "yeah, but it was NDSU"... Well, look at what UNI and USD did against NDSU in their own house... this year's NDSU clearly isn't the NDSU of the past 4 years. People need to realize that being one dimensional like that in the MVFC will not work very well. Last year, Lujan had Zenner, and it made teams honest. We don't have that luxury anymore.

Comment

Ok, how many think Zach would've had a much better day passing at YSU. My argument, their D was aggressively similar to NDSU. They were a top 20 team with a top 5 ranked pass defense. We know Zach wouldn't have come close to any amount of rushing and who knows if the RB's would have had that success. Again I like Zach but I think the only edge he has on TC is understanding the offense. The mixed system will shake itself out and someone will outplay the other to be the full time guy. As long as we win it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                                Ok, how many think Zach would've had a much better day passing at YSU. My argument, their D was aggressively similar to NDSU. They were a top 20 team with a top 5 ranked pass defense. We know Zach wouldn't have come close to any amount of rushing and who knows if the RB's would have had that success. Again I like Zach but I think the only edge he has on TC is understanding the offense. The mixed system will shake itself out and someone will outplay the other to be the full time guy. As long as we win it's all good.
                                apples to oranges, but last year against YSU I think Lujan had over 300 yards passing. not 100% sure on it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X