X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lujan or Christion?

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
    Matt Zimmer ‏@argusmattz 2m2 minutes ago
    Jacks coach John Stiegelmeier: "Once (Zach) Lujan is healthy we'll do something we haven't done here and play two quarterbacks."

Tweet from Zimmer just now.
    Well, this is better than what Stig said on his radio show. I am encouraged by this, knowing that they aren't going to just bench TC. It could play out well, but it is really tough to manage 2 QB situations. More times than not, they don't end up working out. Sometimes, they end up working great though, and that's what I'll hope for.

Comment

Jacks coach John Stiegelmeier: "Once (Zach) Lujan is healthy we'll do something we haven't done here and play two quarterbacks."

I'm curious to see what the plan is to split playing time. This could be done a number of ways. I personally would rather start the quarterback that gives the offense the best matchup. If we want to pass and exploit a poor secondary, use Lujan. I firmly believe that today on October 20th, 2015 that Lujan is a better passer than TC. If we want to exploit a weakness in defending athletic quarterbacks and read option, obviously use TC. Then the other quarterback can get time in each of the games situationally.
      "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        Really? If we beat UNI this weekend we are 6-1. If we beat who we are supposed to beat (MSU, USD) and split with ISUr and WIU we will be 9-2 and we will get a top 8 seed. If we win out, we will be a 3 seed at the lowest, possibly a 2 seed. There are less than 10 teams in the country right now who have a shot at the national championship. We are one of the 10. This is the most wide open I have seen FCS since we moved up. The CAA, down. The Big Sky, down. Southland, down.

This^^^! People who don't think we are worthy of the #6 ranking in the country are wrong, wrong, wrong. Ok, so we got drubbed by NDSU. They got beat by a bad team...in Fargo. So are they crap and have no shot at the NC? That's what I thought. We are just as good as they are. Maybe not in some of our players minds, but on the field we are.

We flat out whipped a previous top 10 team at their house last week (a game we were probably expected to lose in all honesty). YSU barely lost at home to the #4 team in the country and NC runner up last year the week before. We played pretty below average and still handled ISU-b, who proved last week they are still no slouches by rolling up a bunch of points against SIU. Now give credit to the defense for the last two weeks, since we just want to talk about a QB controversy, a shaky OLine and a struggling punter. The D was lock down solid the last two weeks against teams that were scoring a bunch of points. If the D wants to play like this from here on out, Finnes might as well be the QB and we might just win out. This team is legit, believe it.

Now...the conversation about the QB. This whole Redbird deal November 7 is looming already. Yeah, yeah, 1-0. But, it is eerily similar to the 2009 ordeal against SIU (which happened to be the same weekend, Nov. 10, 2009 if I recall). 38-7 or something was the score that day and they rolled our a$$es right out of the gate. Taryn is not TOB. He is the future for 3-1/2 years. Pick a QB (TC) and let's roll. Stig sits there and talks about goals at the beginning of the season and he always mentions a Top 8 seed (since it went to 8). Listen to yourself coach. If you want a seed, alternating QBs is not the way to go. It breaks the flow of the game. Look at the ISU-b game and bringing in Taryn and Dalt back and forth in the second half. There was no flow to that half. It was brutal.

Happy Hobo Week!

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
          This^^^! People who don't think we are worthy of the #6 ranking in the country are wrong, wrong, wrong. Ok, so we got drubbed by NDSU. They got beat by a bad team...in Fargo. So are they crap and have no shot at the NC? That's what I thought. We are just as good as they are. Maybe not in some of our players minds, but on the field we are.

We flat out whipped a previous top 10 team at their house last week (a game we were probably expected to lose in all honesty). YSU barely lost at home to the #4 team in the country and NC runner up last year the week before. We played pretty below average and still handled ISU-b, who proved last week they are still no slouches by rolling up a bunch of points against SIU. Now give credit to the defense for the last two weeks, since we just want to talk about a QB controversy, a shaky OLine and a struggling punter. The D was lock down solid the last two weeks against teams that were scoring a bunch of points. If the D wants to play like this from here on out, Finnes might as well be the QB and we might just win out. This team is legit, believe it.

Now...the conversation about the QB. This whole Redbird deal November 7 is looming already. Yeah, yeah, 1-0. But, it is eerily similar to the 2009 ordeal against SIU (which happened to be the same weekend, Nov. 10, 2009 if I recall). 38-7 or something was the score that day and they rolled our a$$es right out of the gate. Taryn is not TOB. He is the future for 3-1/2 years. Pick a QB (TC) and let's roll. Stig sits there and talks about goals at the beginning of the season and he always mentions a Top 8 seed (since it went to 8). Listen to yourself coach. If you want a seed, alternating QBs is not the way to go. It breaks the flow of the game. Look at the ISU-b game and bringing in Taryn and Dalt back and forth in the second half. There was no flow to that half. It was brutal.

Happy Hobo Week!
          ^ Well done ^ I agree with every word.

Comment

I don't like that. Pick a guy and go with him.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
              I'm curious to see what the plan is to split playing time. This could be done a number of ways. I personally would rather start the quarterback that gives the offense the best matchup. If we want to pass and exploit a poor secondary, use Lujan. I firmly believe that today on October 20th, 2015 that Lujan is a better passer than TC. If we want to exploit a weakness in defending athletic quarterbacks and read option, obviously use TC. Then the other quarterback can get time in each of the games situationally.
              I agree too. Sometimes us fans complain that the coaches dont do enough. I know some fans dont care for a 2 qb system. but maybe it created a change of pace for the D to adjust too. say we start with Lujan and all of a sudden 3rd down he comes in and watch the D scramble. If they have bad pass defense let lujan who is better to exploit that. If they are overly aggressive and trying to blitz a lot. put in TC who can create on his own.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My guess is that the "2 QB system is a good one-week method to see if TC can "win the job" once Lujan is healthy. It gives the coaches more flexibility and time - whether that is good or bad. I doubt that they see that as a good strategy for the rest of the season, but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

Happy Hobo Week!
                  I will also agree. I really feel like this is our year and that win at Youngstown was EXTREMELY impressive! I'm still not sure how good NDSU is. Yes, they beat us... They also lost to Montana who hasn't done anything. They lost to USD. The narrowly beat UNI. How good is UNI? In my mind, they are still a typical UNI top 10 team but this weekend will tell us a lot about how good UNI is. How good is ISU-Red? We don't know yet, we thought pretty dang good until we compare our game against YSU to theirs.

To sum it up, the MVFC is dang good and any team can win on any given day. If SDSU can sneak past NDSU in the playoffs, then look out.

Comment

I'm constantly amazed at how astute our fans are that they know better than the coaching staff about who should play, when and where. Seems logical since they see the players on game day, and the coaches only get to watch them everyday at practice and in games, and when they spend hours grading players from every game film.

Besides all the conjecture about why TC's redshirt was pulled... you might consider another viewpoint (with some personal knowledge included): Lujan went down and the coaches (of course Stig would be lauded or disembowled, over the choice, not the other coaches who certainly had input) had to make a decision. One very, very important decision...facing a good opponent in Indiana State, and a tough away game against Youngstown (and knowing Lujan was out for at least two games, and possibly three) decided they needed to have the best available decision for this year, to not lose the games and possibly cost a playoff selection, and went with their #2 quarterback, not feeling comfortable with #3. I think they made the right decision.

And besides the "2 QB option", Stig has always emphasized that #2 can move ahead of #1 at every position during the season as the players are all graded every game, and practices count for constant evaluation. There is no guarantee that either Lujan or Christion will be #1 the rest of the year. There is no doubt IMO that they would prefer a #1 QB for the rest of the season, and it may settle into that now that both contenders are available.

Comment

A little off topic but speaking of QBs, did anyone else see that Wentz is out for 6 to 8 weeks with a broken wrist?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                        A little off topic but speaking of QBs, did anyone else see that Wentz is out for 6 to 8 weeks with a broken wrist?
                        WHAT?!?!?!?!

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/Aktu/hyundai-...sorship-d-gate

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Throwing wrist. Surgery Wednesday.

Comment

Has been all over the Twitter and Fan Board world. Sorry for him, tough break for a player who was getting looks from the pro scouts...this won't help his standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              Has been all over the Twitter and Fan Board world. Sorry for him, tough break for a player who was getting looks from the pro scouts...this won't help his standing.
                              Tough break. Praying for a good healing recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                I agree too. Sometimes us fans complain that the coaches dont do enough. I know some fans dont care for a 2 qb system. but maybe it created a change of pace for the D to adjust too. say we start with Lujan and all of a sudden 3rd down he comes in and watch the D scramble. If they have bad pass defense let lujan who is better to exploit that. If they are overly aggressive and trying to blitz a lot. put in TC who can create on his own.
                                I'm not sold on the idea that Lujan is a better passer than Christion. Go with the hot hand and let Lujan earn his job back in practice. On that note, whatever Stig decides I'll support. He has his reasons for whatever he decides and he is the one that knows how it will affect the team both short and long term. Go Jacks!
                                One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                                X