Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moss?

Originally posted by goon View Post

Wr will be set for next year. Just look forward to sumner getting srping ball and fall camp to work with them as the starter. Would love to see kool move back to wr. Wished we could have watched moss for more then 1 year. I am glad he came out for 1 year.
    This makes too much sense for the current crop of coaches. Kool is a better WR than RB, no doubt. Putting him at WR improves 2 positions and gives you some chance to replace Moss's speed outside. Kool was a very good WR in the past.

Comment

You guys are making a big assumption that our coaching staff will recognize the need to move Kool back to WR. I'll believe it when I see it.

Our receiving corps should be solid next season, but it will be a while before we see someone tear up the opposing secondary like Moss did. Mark my words, we are are really going to miss him next year.

If Moss would have chosen the football route, we would have seen him playing WR at an FBS school, not SDSU. I believe it was Mike H who said Dale was the greatest WR he ever saw play high school football in the State of SD. We should count our blessings that we had him on our football team for 1 season.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        You guys are making a big assumption that our coaching staff will recognize the need to move Kool back to WR. I'll believe it when I see it.
        Oh, they'll see it.... around week 5 after we've dropped the first few games and started the season out 1-3 yet again. Stig will come out with one of his head scratchers like "I guess we should have realized Tyrel was a better option at WR earlier".

I fully expect Kool to start the season as #1 on the depth chart at RB because he's a senior and has paid his dues in Stig's eyes. Stig has proven that he values not hurting a players feelings over getting a W.
        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Stig is a horrible judge of talent. He didn't start one of the best freshman QB's in the history of the MVC because he thought TOB was better. And the really scary part is that Sumner may have never started if TOB didnt quit. Just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2 View Post
            Stig is a horrible judge of talent. He didn't start one of the best freshman QB's in the history of the MVC because he thought TOB was better. And the really scary part is that Sumner may have never started if TOB didnt quit. Just ridiculous.
            I beg to differ. He obviously knew sumner would and could be special so they recruited him. Stig if anything is loyal to a fault. I think that maybe the issue. Do you stick it out with the guys who have been there longer or the guy who gives us the best chance to win.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

...Do you stick it out with the guys who have been there longer or the guy who gives us the best chance to win.
              This shouldn't even be a question.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I beg to differ. He obviously knew sumner would and could be special so they recruited him. Stig if anything is loyal to a fault. I think that maybe the issue. Do you stick it out with the guys who have been there longer or the guy who gives us the best chance to win.
                I think all this criticism of Stig being overly loyal or a poor judge of talent is a bit overblown. We had a ton of underclassmen playing this year, many over upperclassmen who have been with the program for several years.

There aren't many established coaches that will knee-jerk trot out a red-shirt freshman QB after a few games against some tough competition over a 3rd year starter who has won games in the past. At that point in the season all the coaches had to go off of was how the QB's looked in practice, and apparently TOB was a better practice QB than Sumner was. Hindsight shows that Sumner's moxie and athletic ability made him a better gameday QB than TOB was. It's easy to look back now and say Stig blew it at the beginning of the year, but I think it's unfair to do so in this case.

Comment

That may be the case...he could be loyal to a fault. But I would take 7-4 with freshman over 5-6 and "loyalty."

Comment

How can you keep defending Stig on the quarterback situation? As previously mentioned TOB was throwing interceptions where Sumner wasn't. Sumner was going against the second team defense but also the first line defense. It was nothing but a loyalty thing. And one more point I truly believe Sumner showed he has just as strong as arm as TOB if not stronger and more accurate.

Comment

Sumners ability to read a defense is what stiod out to me that he is better then tob as a qb. Makes me wonder what they are doing in practice where they can't see sumner reads a defense better. Same as why moss didn't get a catch the first 2 games. He is good enough to get nfl looks but not good enough to get any passes his first 2 games?
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Stig does not decide who starts - offense or defense.

He even said he disagrees with his coaches as to who should start. He said it specifically before the Southern Illinois game. It is indisputable fact.

I couldn't disagree more with Stig on this aspect. As head coach, he needs to step in and take control of the team. If he does, maybe the Jacks win more games the past two years. As head coach, it all comes back to him.

One easy example is Dom Claire. What if he would have been used as a short yardage back in lieu of Kool? How many more short yardage situations and TD's would the Jacks have converted equallying at least one or two more wins.

Second easy example - the shuffling of the offensive line.

Third easy example - Sumner should have started over TOB all year long.

Fouth example - Moss wasn't used as much earlier in the year.

An example from last year - Cochart caught a NFL pass. Why wasn't he featured more with the Jacks? (new coordinator thats why. seems the Jacks used to have another pretty good TE recently that was used.)

Defensively they started 2cnd stringers late in the year over 1st stringers. Stig said he disagreed with it.

You can't coach speed. The speed I see is Kool at WR next year. I don't think the coaches will see it.

Comment

Sumners ability to read a defense is what stiod out to me that he is better then tob as a qb. Makes me wonder what they are doing in practice where they can't see sumner reads a defense better. Same as why moss didn't get a catch the first 2 games. He is good enough to get nfl looks but not good enough to get any passes his first 2 games?
                          I might add that the defense read in practice is not the same as game day defense. You have the real guys on defense on game day doing real things like trying to win the football game. Practice does not equal game day. So faulty conclusions can be drawn from that premesis.
                          The people taking down stig do not know him like those loyalists here on this board. I think they speak with a simplistic ignornance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I think all this criticism of Stig being overly loyal or a poor judge of talent is a bit overblown. We had a ton of underclassmen playing this year, many over upperclassmen who have been with the program for several years.

There aren't many established coaches that will knee-jerk trot out a red-shirt freshman QB after a few games against some tough competition over a 3rd year starter who has won games in the past. At that point in the season all the coaches had to go off of was how the QB's looked in practice, and apparently TOB was a better practice QB than Sumner was. Hindsight shows that Sumner's moxie and athletic ability made him a better gameday QB than TOB was. It's easy to look back now and say Stig blew it at the beginning of the year, but I think it's unfair to do so in this case.
                            After attending many practices in the spring and the fall I always left scratching my head saying what does TOB give us that Sumner can't. I guess that question was answered but just to far into the season. It is a scary thought that TOB would have been the starter all year. Go back to the spring scrimmage, Sumner graded out higher than TOB yet Stig continued to make excuses as to why that occurred. "Austin played against the 2nds and so on"
                            I truely believe this was Stig calling the shots on the qb position, after all it's probably the most important position on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I might add that the defense read in practice is not the same as game day defense. You have the real guys on defense on game day doing real things like trying to win the football game. Practice does not equal game day. So faulty conclusions can be drawn from that premesis.
                              The people taking down stig do not know him like those loyalists here on this board. I think they speak with a simplistic ignornance.
                              So the scout team running defensive sets of our opponents doesnt help the QB to learn to read a Defense?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

Sorry but did you watch TOB play last year or this year? I would hardly call putting in Sumner a "knee-jerk" reaction. As many have said, Stig is loyal to a fault.
                                Last edited by Jackbacker123; 11-23-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X