Moss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moss?

Success at this level takes good execution on the field, raw talent only goes so far. That, IMHO, has been the difference in the last two games played by SDSU. Luckily the team is young, Moss beng a significant exception, and will have time to learn to execute.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

So on Terrys blog he mentioned a quote from Meadows calling Moss a novelty to a legitimate player. I guess I find it completely unacceptable that the coaching staff thought he was a novelty. If you dont think he is worth playing why bother having him on the team to start. It shows to me the coaching staff has been losing its ability to judge talent. Even in spring ball if his routes ran were not 100% perfect, his catching and atheltic ability should be enought to show he is worth playing. imagine if the coaches actually used him the first 2 games of the year. Probably the only player on this team who will get NFL looks yet the coaches thought he was a novelty. Which I think is a bit of a dig. Its like ah he is new and fans want to see him so lets put him on the team. And some how not see his has actual talent to be on the team.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        So on Terrys blog he mentioned a quote from Meadows calling Moss a novelty to a legitimate player. I guess I find it completely unacceptable that the coaching staff thought he was a novelty. If you dont think he is worth playing why bother having him on the team to start. It shows to me the coaching staff has been losing its ability to judge talent. Even in spring ball if his routes ran were not 100% perfect, his catching and atheltic ability should be enought to show he is worth playing. imagine if the coaches actually used him the first 2 games of the year. Probably the only player on this team who will get NFL looks yet the coaches thought he was a novelty. Which I think is a bit of a dig. Its like ah he is new and fans want to see him so lets put him on the team. And some how not see his has actual talent to be on the team.
        NOO NOO. Our staff judges talent real well and they put the best 11 on the field that includes Moss, publicly they often make coy statements that should help the athlete keep his head on his shoulders and not in the sky.

Comment

Goon...you're being pretty 'technical' on picking apart the words used by the coaches.

Comment

I think you have made an excellent observation. I follow the team from afar and have not seen a game. Yet as I look from week to week I am generally amazed how they couldn't have started him immediately. I rely on what you guys say in your posts but the athletic ability he showed on the BB court, his size, his HS resume along with spring workouts should have shown them he was something special. I believe at this point he is the most valuable member of the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Goon...you're being pretty 'technical' on picking apart the words used by the coaches.
              If you werent sure what you had, why not say he was a wildcard or unknown how it would go. but to call him a novelty I think is pretty bad. Maybe its just me.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

If you werent sure what you had, why not say he was a wildcard or unknown how it would go. but to call him a novelty I think is pretty bad. Maybe its just me.
                He is a novelty in that he is the first basketball player to finish his athletic career playing football. I can think one only one player who has done the same and tha was Chad Mustsard from Columbus, Ne native that played BB at UND and had a short career with the Denver Broncos. He played TE for UND and did well.

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Remember, this is the same coaching staff that determined that TOB was a better option than Sumner, a Jerry Rice Award finalist. If it wasn't for TOB quitting the team, he may have still been the starter yesterday. This coaching staff (Stig) obviously struggles judging talent and in some cases goes with loyalty over talent.

Comment

Novelty means the quality of being new, original or unusual..... How does that not describe Moss?

I think to most coaches to be "legitimate" you have to have put in the hours, the 3-4-5 years with the team. Know every aspect of football. And that is for all sports. They will take the talent like a Dale Moss, but they would rather have that guy gut it out in the system for 4-5 years.

Comment

Anyone have time to whip up some final stats for Moss? At the beginning of the year Coach Stig said 30 catches would be a great season for him or something to that affect. What did he have? 60 some catches?
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        Anyone have time to whip up some final stats for Moss? At the beginning of the year Coach Stig said 30 catches would be a great season for him or something to that affect. What did he have? 60 some catches?
                        61 catches, 949 yds, 6 TD
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          What is interesting is that Tyler and Strucky commented more than once about the WIU defensive backs who made it difficult for Moss to make his 1000 yard goal. Defensively Moss and Rollin both had a bigger challenge than in other games.

WIU may have been down in the win column this year, but they obviously studied the game tapes where Moss made big plays

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Pretty amazing season totals considering it was all done in 9 games!

Comment

It is going to be hard for the Jacks to replace Moss. He turned into a legitimate #1 reciever. Sumner looked for him when he had to have something. I don't see anyone on the current roster replacing him. Can you imagine if he would have played 4 years?

Comment

Moss gave the team a dynamic that it had not had since Harris graduated. The ability to stretch the field has been missing. I just hope the coaching staff has a recruit with that same ability. Otherwise, this offense will be one dimensional again next year.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X