X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Depth Chart

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
    Antonio Gates did NOT play college football. Last time I checked, his football career turned out pretty well. . .
    Hopefully Dale can all get us tickets to the NFL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      I thought playing football was based on talent and capability rather than seniority?

I hope so, otherwise we know who our QB is for the next two years and who will be transferring.

However we have no running back right now since Stig felt it necessary to play two seniors last year, one deserving and one that could have been played by a soph or junior and done jyst as well and developed a replacement.

I think there is more questions about Kool running the ball than Moss catching the ball.

Comment

I think every football program finds away to award seniority in one way or another, however if you are going to be a good program you have to put your best guys on the field whether or not they are 1 year players or 5 year players.

Now I think the difference between Dale and someone else is that Dale has been playing a sport for 4 years, is an athlete, and is playing a position that you can pick up pretty quick if you have the physical capabilities.

Its not like this is unheard of either. Greg Paulis played basketball at Duke for 4 years before transferring to Syracuse to play football and he was a QB. Chris Wienke, drafted out of Cretan-Durham HS in MN went and played 6 yearas of baseball before learning he couldn't hit a curveball and decided to go to play football at Florida State and started as a sophomore. Boston College's QB last year was a guy who had took football off while playing baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I think every football program finds away to award seniority in one way or another, however if you are going to be a good program you have to put your best guys on the field whether or not they are 1 year players or 5 year players.

Now I think the difference between Dale and someone else is that Dale has been playing a sport for 4 years, is an athlete, and is playing a position that you can pick up pretty quick if you have the physical capabilities.

Its not like this is unheard of either. Greg Paulis played basketball at Duke for 4 years before transferring to Syracuse to play football and he was a QB. Chris Wienke, drafted out of Cretan-Durham HS in MN went and played 6 yearas of baseball before learning he couldn't hit a curveball and decided to go to play football at Florida State and started as a sophomore. Boston College's QB last year was a guy who had took football off while playing baseball.
          Everyone that plays sports at SDSU is an athlete. Can't compare Paulis or Wienke to Moss. They were both much much better. Paulis was a far better basketball player- Career Numbers don't lie. Over a 4 year span I believe Moss averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds. Anyone who has not played a sport for 4 yrs and then comes out to play football will have their work cut out for them.

Comment

As long as SDSU is on their uniform, and they are contributing to SDSU athletics in whatever capacity they can,I'm all for it.Everyone competes for the starting position.I trust the coaches to evaluate every player and choose the best ones for a starting position based on ability and those that give the team the best chance at winning.That's their job,and I expect they'll do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              As long as SDSU is on their uniform, and they are contributing to SDSU athletics in whatever capacity they can,I'm all for it.Everyone competes for the starting position.I trust the coaches to evaluate every player and choose the best ones for a starting position based on ability and those that give the team the best chance at winning.That's their job,and I expect they'll do just that.
              My strong belief is that one needs to be committed to the program regardless of who the person is. That is my "beef" here.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                My strong belief is that one needs to be committed to the program regardless of who the person is. That is my "beef" here.
                Well, I ain't got no dog in this hunt, but it sounds as if someone else does. How's that for good grammer?

Comment

Everyone that plays sports at SDSU is an athlete. Can't compare Paulis or Wienke to Moss. They were both much much better. Paulis was a far better basketball player- Career Numbers don't lie. Over a 4 year span I believe Moss averaged 4 points and 3 rebounds. Anyone who has not played a sport for 4 yrs and then comes out to play football will have their work cut out for them.
                  Numbers aren't everything in basketball. Just like in football. To sum up Dale's career in basketball by 4 points and 3 rebounds per game doesn't do him justice and doesn't make for an intelligent argument.

Obviously the football coaches are alright with letting him compete; it appears that you are the only one that has a problem with it.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I am sure his dedication to the basketball team and sports programs shows he is dedicated to SDSU.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I am sure his dedication to the basketball team and sports programs shows he is dedicated to SDSU.
                      I am obviously not making myself clear and it doesn't matter who agrees or disagrees. I am talking about the commitment to the football program. Think about all the off season workouts, the 6 am winter training sessions, the weightlifting sessions, the studying of film-just to name a few things that require commitment.

Comment

I am obviously not making myself clear and it doesn't matter who agrees or disagrees. I am talking about the commitment to the football program. Think about all the off season workouts, the 6 am winter training sessions, the weightlifting sessions, the studying of film-just to name a few things that require commitment.
                        So....then Ketty should never have been able to play volleyball this year? Didn't JaRon run track after football? Didn't some football players help Nagy out years ago? Doesn't Heemstra pitch for the baseball team? Where's the indignation there?
                        My problem with your posts are that you don't even want to let him see the field. Your posts dismiss it right out of the gate. Dale will have to do all of those things. I'm sure all of that was discussed in his meetings with the coaches. In essence he's accepting a preferred walk-on status from the coaches.
                        Where's the commitment? Dale could have just said alright....well...I'm done with basketball, I can relax and have some fun. Enjoy my last days here. Nope. He decided to give the rest of his time to play football. Think about that. For what? The rest of his education is paid for. I'm pretty sure he's committed.
                        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          So....then Ketty should never have been able to play volleyball this year? Didn't JaRon run track after football? Didn't some football players help Nagy out years ago? Doesn't Heemstra pitch for the baseball team? Where's the indignation there?
                          My problem with your posts are that you don't even want to let him see the field. Your posts dismiss it right out of the gate. Dale will have to do all of those things. I'm sure all of that was discussed in his meetings with the coaches. In essence he's accepting a preferred walk-on status from the coaches.
                          Where's the commitment? Dale could have just said alright....well...I'm done with basketball, I can relax and have some fun. Enjoy my last days here. Nope. He decided to give the rest of his time to play football. Think about that. For what? The rest of his education is paid for. I'm pretty sure he's committed.
                          hey catrabbit agree or disagree- like I said, doesn't matter to me. No 2 people on this forum will agree on every issue.

Comment

So the years of service to SDSU in a different sport means nothing to you? interesting. I would think the team and players would welcome a guy who could be a great addition. Maybe it doesn't work out, but at least he is going to try.

think of it as pay back for when the basketball team needed players from the football team. They had a commitment to the football program but SDSU in general needed their help and they went over even tough we still had other guys on the basketball team.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              So the years of service to SDSU in a different sport means nothing to you? interesting. I would think the team and players would welcome a guy who could be a great addition. Maybe it doesn't work out, but at least he is going to try.

think of it as pay back for when the basketball team needed players from the football team. They had a commitment to the football program but SDSU in general needed their help and they went over even tough we still had other guys on the basketball team.
                              I have NOTHING against Dale Moss. This is up to the coaches and so will no longer stir the pot on this issue! (-: You have to admit that a debate was created!!!!

Comment

I have NOTHING against Dale Moss. This is up to the coaches and so will no longer stir the pot on this issue! (-: You have to admit that a debate was created!!!!
                                No one said you had a problem with Moss, You seem to think he would be hurting the team more then anything, which most everyone else feels he could be a benefit even if only a little help for 1 year. Not much else to discuss untill the late signing period so, yes you did get people talking for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X