This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2011 Depth Chart

I know people who played with him in high school and against him. Said he was the best WR they'd ever played with/against. Rumor was that numerous Big 10 schools were coming to watch him his senior year but he verballed to SDSU for basketball before hand.

Playing WR is probably the easiest position to pick up quick on the field. the routes are pretty simple, the big thing is getting stronger thats why not too many freshman play but he has gotten stronger playing basketball. The big thing will be timing which springball should help a lot with. Don't know if he'll be the savior or not but I don't think he will hurt any.

Comment

Originally posted by ghomestead1 View Post
      Let me see: 39 inch vertical jump, large soft hands, 6'4" frame, I would say this ='s 10+ TDS in the red zone providing this works out. Season can't start soon enough, this is what many of us have been waiting for for years, the chance to see Dale in pads.
      Time will tell but I love stirring the pot so he's some more items to ponder and to get blood pressures up. Sure I hope he can help us but a 39 inch vertical does not guarantee that he would be a good WR. Theres so much more to it than that. Did a 39 inch vertical really help him that much in basketball?? Sure dunks are fun to see but when it was all said and done and if any of us did not know DMoss and looked at the stats one would see 7.5 ppg and 4.5 rebounds a game. Is that really that impressive???? A 39 inch vertical should get a heck of a lot more rebounds than that right?! The vertical jump test in football is just one test that they do. 40 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle, Bench, Squat, powerclean to name a few others.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        Time will tell but I love stirring the pot so he's some more items to ponder and to get blood pressures up. Sure I hope he can help us but a 39 inch vertical does not guarantee that he would be a good WR. Theres so much more to it than that. Did a 39 inch vertical really help him that much in basketball?? Sure dunks are fun to see but when it was all said and done and if any of us did not know DMoss and looked at the stats one would see 7.5 ppg and 4.5 rebounds a game. Is that really that impressive???? A 39 inch vertical should get a heck of a lot more rebounds than that right?! The vertical jump test in football is just one test that they do. 40 yard dash, 20 yard shuttle, Bench, Squat, powerclean to name a few others.
        Catching passes against 6' DB's is a whole different ballgame than rebounding against the 6'8" -6'10" Keith Bensons of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Catching passes against 6' DB's is a whole different ballgame than rebounding against the 6'8" -6'10" Keith Bensons of the world.
          agree would like to see him come off the ball, show the ability to get open, see if he has "football" speed on the field and be able to take a hit at being 6'4 195 lbs.

Comment

Obviously, Dale has all the physical attributes needed to be a successful wide receiver. My guess, without ever seeing him play football, is that he will be running some pretty ugly routes in comparison to our more experiences WR's right out of the gate. Luckily, with spring ball and 7on7's this summer, he should have time to pick up on that aspect of playing the position. Throwing pads and a helmet on will be his next hurdle since its been over 4 years since he's played football.

I realize that its funny to joke that we only have 4 route combinations, but there is far more to pick up in our playbook than that. You have to be able to read what the defense is doing (in both coverage and blitzes) in order to adjust your routes accordingly after the snap. I have no clue how fast he'll be able to pick this stuff up, but it would be pretty impressive if he could do it with only one set of spring ball practices under his belt.

My bold prediction: He decides to stick it out for next season, and occationally gets on the field in our 4 wide personnel packages to play on the outside (basically, run a go-route and toss it up to him for a jump ball). There is no way he's going to be playing slot, reading LB blitzes, and adjusting his routes based on man/zone coverage. We have upper classmen who still make mistakes in that arena.

I hope this all pans out. There is nothing to lose, so I'm glad he's giving it a shot!

Comment

Basketball and football are "whole different ballgame[s]"?! I would never have guessed that.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Moss is a nice addition. Why are you so against it? Your argument against Moss is misguided. What is the negative of giving him a chance to tryout this Spring?

Did I miss something? Does he have a scholarship for next Fall? I think he is just working out with the team during Spring ball. If he does well, then we will see him next Fall.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  Moss is a nice addition. Why are you so against it? Your argument against Moss is misguided. What is the negative of giving him a chance to tryout this Spring?

Did I miss something? Does he have a scholarship for next Fall? I think he is just working out with the team during Spring ball. If he does well, then we will see him next Fall.
                  Not totally against it and I believe I stated I hope he can help us out- HOWEVER not playing the last 4 yrs and picking hoops over football in the beginning and now all of a sudden he wants to play football??? What about all the other guys that have busted their tail for us the past 5 yrs and just because moss can jump we owe him a look? If he really wanted to play football for the jacks he could have came out 4 yrs ago- now he comes in and will probably take reps away from our redshirt freshman and also the new guys that we have coming in. I would hope that our coaches understand loyalty and commitment to the program and not just let anyone come in and play for 1 yr because all of a sudden he now wants to go out for football. I would feel the same way for anyone that just wants to come out for 1 year. In this case it just happens to be a hoop player.

Comment

All Dale needs to know is one route.

I like to call it the "go" route.

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Not totally against it and I believe I stated I hope he can help us out- HOWEVER not playing the last 4 yrs and picking hoops over football in the beginning and now all of a sudden he wants to play football??? What about all the other guys that have busted their tail for us the past 5 yrs and just because moss can jump we owe him a look? If he really wanted to play football for the jacks he could have came out 4 yrs ago- now he comes in and will probably take reps away from our redshirt freshman and also the new guys that we have coming in. I would hope that our coaches understand loyalty and commitment to the program and not just let anyone come in and play for 1 yr because all of a sudden he now wants to go out for football. I would feel the same way for anyone that just wants to come out for 1 year. In this case it just happens to be a hoop player.
                      I thought playing football was based on talent and capability rather than seniority?
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                        I thought playing football was based on talent and capability rather than seniority?
                        I agree - if he is better than the red-shirt freshman and the newcomers,he needs to be on the field. Playing time shouldn't be determined by longevity.

Comment

I agree - if he is better than the red-shirt freshman and the newcomers,he needs to be on the field. Playing time shouldn't be determined by longevity.
                          BS Every athletic program, business etc wants people that will commit to them. He committed to basketball. Thats just how I see it.

Comment

Not BS. Every successful business goes with performance first. Senority is a secodary consideration unless there is an external mandate imposed upon management, e.g. government or union.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Do not want to be involved in the arguement haha. Posted some video of Dale on youtube taken our senior year. Since they are cuts off a highlight video I took the music off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMX_kxSBSxM

Comment

Antonio Gates did NOT play college football. Last time I checked, his football career turned out pretty well. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X