OLB - SR Feller or JR Shafrath
    MLB - SR LIEN / JR Tracy
    CB - SR JACKSON / RFR Boykin or Crenshaw or Provost
    CB - SR Matthews or SO Wright
    FS - SR WISE / JR Helm
    SS - JR Luxa or SO Koehlmoos or JR Helm

PK - SR Harris or RFR Syrovatka
    P - RFR Sawyer

The holes to me are at SS & TE. I'm not sure who our backup center is but it's probably one of the redshirt freshmen.
    http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Re: 2011 Depth Chart

Is Koehlmoos going to be back in the mix? Sounded like he has a ton of potential if he can get everything squared away.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
      Is Koehlmoos going to be back in the mix? Sounded like he has a ton of potential if he can get everything squared away.
      I hope so, we are thin at SS. I saw that Koehlmoos won a Scout team defensive player of the week award this past semester so he must have been practicing with the team.

SDSU has an offer out to a JUCO SS, I'm guessing they will be trying to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by MinneapolisJack View Post
        I hope so, we are thin at SS. I saw that Koehlmoos won a Scout team defensive player of the week award this past semester so he must have been practicing with the team.

SDSU has an offer out to a JUCO SS, I'm guessing they will be trying to go that route.
        Are our recruits not panning out? or did some potential starts leave? It sounds like every year we recruit former QBs who will play safety or DB. Or they guys we have still to green to play as freshman or sophs?
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

QB is the question as has been discussed many times.

WR - looks correct, but you need to have Iverson in the mix. Iverson is probably the best blocking wide out.

I would speculate that the whole center position would be up for grabs. Will is big and strong, but Meadows has always had quick centers. Can Kage play center? I think Olinger has played some center and would be considered the back up center. If Stig does indeed play his top five linemen, Kage or Parker would have to play center. I'd guess Coach Meadows has a plan. O-line is the least of the worries.

Tight end is weak because Sam Kavenaugh had to retire this fall due to injury. He would have been a Sr. this year. Losing 2 outstanding Sr's. this year hurts the TE position.

How many carries can Kool handle? Why did Dom Clare not get any carries against ND? It will be interesting to see what the coaches have in mind.

I would venture the Dijon Starr will be in the starting lineup next year. He is an outstanding pass rusher. I'm curious who will be the anchor they are looking for in the middle. Fischer will be missed.

Can either Tracy or Lien move outside? They both seem good to me.

The Jacks always seem to come up with Safeties. Wise really stepped up his game at the end of the year. Luxa seemed OK. What about Bo Helm?

You can bring in Juco's at certain positions only. I think SS is a position that could be filled easily with a juco while TE could not. If a juco RB can pick up the pass blocking scheme, it may be possible. I doubt if Meadows would ever bring in another O-lineman again. Same with QB. WR - not sure. Defensively it is easier to teach jucos in my opinion.

Comment

Bo Helm was a guy that was impressive on special teams this year. He just always seemed to be around the ball and his named was called a lot. Does that equate into a being a good defensive back, not quite but it sure worked well for Cole Brodie.

Comment

Dang, that's a lot of seniors on defense . . .
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Dang, that's a lot of seniors on defense . . .
                On the flip side, not very many on offense.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

WR - looks correct, but you need to have Iverson in the mix. Iverson is probably the best blocking wide out.

I would speculate that the whole center position would be up for grabs. Will is big and strong, but Meadows has always had quick centers. Can Kage play center? I think Olinger has played some center and would be considered the back up center. If Stig does indeed play his top five linemen, Kage or Parker would have to play center. I'd guess Coach Meadows has a plan. O-line is the least of the worries.

Tight end is weak because Sam Kavenaugh had to retire this fall due to injury. He would have been a Sr. this year. Losing 2 outstanding Sr's. this year hurts the TE position.

How many carries can Kool handle? Why did Dom Clare not get any carries against ND? It will be interesting to see what the coaches have in mind.

I would venture the Dijon Starr will be in the starting lineup next year. He is an outstanding pass rusher. I'm curious who will be the anchor they are looking for in the middle. Fischer will be missed.

The Jacks always seem to come up with Safeties. Wise really stepped up his game at the end of the year. Luxa seemed OK. What about Bo Helm?

You can bring in Juco's at certain positions only. I think SS is a position that could be filled easily with a juco while TE could not. If a juco RB can pick up the pass blocking scheme, it may be possible. I doubt if Meadows would ever bring in another O-lineman again. Same with QB. WR - not sure. Defensively it is easier to teach jucos in my opinion.
                  Great post, some thoughts:

-I've wondered why Iverson hasn't seen the field in receiving situations. I know he is the WR when we go the the "flash" formation for his blocking, but being such a tall WR, one would think he'd get a shot at catching some balls.

-I have to think the coaches have a lot of faith in Castle since they were willing to try moving McKnight to guard and have Will start his past season for a couple games. (Against Nebraska & UNI)

- I don't understand why Dom Clare didn't get any carries that last UND game. Could have been a tribute to letting the senior Duffy finish out his career, but it seems like Dom deserved to carry the rock. I've heard good things about RFR Zenner.

-Dijon Starr has the potential to live up to his namesake and become a star. I think him Mink & Douglas will rotate at DT. I was really impressed with Mink this year and Douglas came on well too. We should be pretty stout at DT for awhile.

-Jacks need to find a way to get MLB Tracy on the field. It seems like when he's out there he makes plays. Same with Shafrath.

-Helm has starter capabilities, but I think he's more of a FS unless he beefs up. Wise is a consistent starter but it would be nice to see him make some plays. He's played for 2 years now and has never had an interception.

If the Jacks don't pick up a JUCO SS, it would be interesting to see if they move Wise to SS and start Helm at FS.

Comment

I didn't mean to disparage Castle. I just mentioned that he is a different type center than Meadows has used in the past. He does not have the speed of the other top linemen. Castle's strength is his weight and size. McKnight was an extremely fast center as his predecessor.

Great post about the difference between FS and SS. Good points. My expertise is more lineman and linebackers. I never got to play D back or QB, HB, WR, and the like. Not as sharp on D backs and O backs.

I never thought about that, but your correct, a SS is a different type than FS. My comments on Wise had more to do with his hitting. You are right about the lack of INT's. Great point.

Creating turnovers is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

Iverson is moving to Tight End..

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                        Iverson is moving to Tight End..
                        That's an interesting move. I'm guessing he'll be living in the weight room this offseason since the roster has him listed at 6-4 200.

To come in as a QB, switch to WR and than switch again to TE, all the while holding a 4.0 in biochemistry, more props to him.

Comment

We have a very strong foundation in place, and I'm referring to the O/D lines. To have that many returning starters bodes well for 2011. I understand the differences in centers, but Will has some experience. Having that experience and a cohesive unit returning translates into quicker decisions.
                          On defense, I was impressed with how the D-line played against a top flight Husker O-line. I think Starr has the potential to be the next big stud with a year of college under his belt.

Comment

Dale Moss Twitter: "Meeting with the fb coaches in 5 let's see where this goes"
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              Dale Moss Twitter: "Meeting with the fb coaches in 5 let's see where this goes"

Bring it Dale! There's our big wide out!

Comment

Working...
                              X