Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble up in Bison Land Again

This has sucked...no doubt about it...but it doesn't help when the local media big dog has an ax to grind with 'SU (losing the media contract). SDSU does not have the same problem...and stories...Oh let's say a QB leaving the team for example...are not brought to the front page. With that said, I do have to admit NDSU has had way more issues...no arguments there. Just sayin'...we are under a microscope.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
      This has sucked...no doubt about it...but it doesn't help when the local media big dog has an ax to grind with 'SU (losing the media contract). SDSU does not have the same problem...and stories...Oh let's say a QB leaving the team for example...are not brought to the front page. With that said, I do have to admit NDSU has had way more issues...no arguments there. Just sayin'...we are under a microscope.
      Oh you are sticking up for TOB after all he gave you the game on a silver plater in 2010. How many INTs did he have that day? I guess a few enough to sharpen up your then green defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Oh you are sticking up for TOB after all he gave you the game on a silver plater in 2010. How many INTs did he have that day? I guess a few enough to sharpen up your then green defense.
        I'm just sayin' your media did not have the hunger to dig deeper as to why TOB left the team...

Comment

I keep thinking about how the things that usually blow up in people's/organization's faces are the things that seem minor at first, then snowball out of control.

A few questions that could lead to interesting places:

How did these student athletes get this job? Was it through the athletic department somehow?

Who was their supervisor during employment?

When did the coaching staff or AD learn about this, and what was their reaction?

Was there any attempt along the way to cover up or quiet this story?

This probably isn't a huge deal, and will probably blow over. The last thing NDSU (or any NCAA school) wants is to have the NCAA start sniffing around their athletic department. Its a little like getting audited for sales tax, they are going to find something.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm just sayin' your media did not have the hunger to dig deeper as to why TOB left the team...
            It's been a **** storm up in Bison country lately and I'll agree with you that the media has probably taken this over the edge a bit. However, having a player quit the team, even if it's the starting QB, is way different than having players get in trouble with the law, which is ALL public information.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

By the time he left the team, nearly every one knew what was going. There was unbelievable pressure building against TOB about his beliefs and lifestyle. If you want to PM, I fill you in on my second hand knowledge. Our moderators frown very much on unverified truth.

Comment

NCAA already said it was a non-issue with them.
                The NCAA, on the record, said they were not interested in whether these kids had been paid for work not performed?

Really? Because I can't find anything to that effect.

Also, the NDSU AD IS on record as drawing a distinction between 'theft' (which apparently is a cause for suspensions or worse), and 'fraud', which he apparently does not consider to be the logical equivalent of theft.

Vandrovec knows why TOB left the team. There's a big difference between what you know and what you can print--or as a journalist, what you can say to or in any other media.

And there's a pretty big difference between something that features no end of public comment and record (e.g. thousands of fraudulent signatures and misdemeanor charges), and a personal decision that involved a lot of people unwilling to speak on the record.

Comment

Trust me, I do not need any clarification of what TOB did...I just refrain from posting it to show respect to the moderators of your message board. They have not questioned any of my posts yet...and I feel that is worth my gratitude.

As for the signatures, the NCAA is not interested...I don't have the link and don't care to find it. You can choose to believe me or not. Also, I do agree the signatures seems like a big deal...but we have been assured when all the info is available it will make sense why they have not been suspended. I do trust they will do the right thing. Taylor is a good guy, and I believe he tries his best to run a tight ship. We will see.

Still saying, there is a complete difference in media. Terry V could have printed more...a lot more...but he had class...and it also begs the question...would any body have cared?

Comment

Trust me, I do not need any clarification of what TOB did...I just refrain from posting it to show respect to the moderators of your message board. They have not questioned any of my posts yet...and I feel that is worth my gratitude.

As for the signatures, the NCAA is not interested...I don't have the link and don't care to find it. You can choose to believe me or not. Also, I do agree the signatures seems like a big deal...but we have been assured when all the info is available it will make sense why they have not been suspended. I do trust they will do the right thing. Taylor is a good guy, and I believe he tries his best to run a tight ship. We will see.

Still saying, there is a complete difference in media. Terry V could have printed more...a lot more...but he had class...and it also begs the question...would any body have cared?
                    Yeah I would have cared if someone forged my signature to a petition that I might not favor or even if I favored. Forgery is a felony btw.

Comment

Yeah I would have cared if someone forged my signature to a petition that I might not favor or even if I favored. Forgery is a felony btw.
                      I was saying would anybody have cared about SDSU's TOB's real reason for leaving the team...

And, the players were charged with midemeanors...which would have been the same for TOB if it was brought up to authorities...

Comment

I was saying would anybody have cared about SDSU's TOB's real reason for leaving the team...

And, the players were charged with midemeanors...which would have been the same for TOB if it was brought up to authorities...
                        misdemeanors so far, I suspect the AG is not done yet. As far as TOB, I happy he made the right decision in leaving the team.

Comment

Terry V could have printed more...a lot more
                          No, he couldn't. Gannett rules prohibit jounalists from using unnamed sources, and that includes saying things on the record in other media (e.g. radio shows). Same thing can be said about the piece he did on Oien. There was much more to that story than what he could print for a Gannett paper.

Also, this is the logical equivalent of the Best Buy scam. If one was handled appropriately, the other wasn't. Both involved concerted efforts that resulted in thousands of dollars of loss to employers.

Finally, the NCAA didn't say they had no issues. The NDSU compliance officer allegedly spoke to the NCAA, and the NCAA allegedly told the compliance officer that there were no potential rules violations. There has been no official NCAA inquiry or decision about the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                            No, he couldn't. Gannett rules prohibit jounalists from using unnamed sources, and that includes saying things on the record in other media (e.g. radio shows). Same thing can be said about the piece he did on Oien. There was much more to that story than what he could print for a Gannett paper.

Also, this is the logical equivalent of the Best Buy scam. If one was handled appropriately, the other wasn't. Both involved concerted efforts that resulted in thousands of dollars of loss to employers.

Finally, the NCAA didn't say they had no issues. The NDSU compliance officer allegedly spoke to the NCAA, and the NCAA allegedly told the compliance officer that there were no potential rules violations. There has been no official NCAA inquiry or decision about the matter.
                            I am going off the alleged discussions. It will blow over and our guys will compete for hopefully a conference title, playoffs, and maybe a NC. Your players can take the free time to go hunt and fish. We all win.

Comment

misdemeanors so far, I suspect the AG is not done yet. As far as TOB, I happy he made the right decision in leaving the team.
                              I'm sure you suspect things...good luck with that!

Comment

It would be nice if people really started letting things play out a little bit, rather than leaping to hasty, premature, ill-informed conclusions based on first reports augmented by rumor and hearsay.

It would also be nice if everyone had a Skittle-pooping unicorn that peed really, REALLY good beer, too, I suppose.

I'm a dreamer, that way.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X