• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Simple rules for athletes:

1. Use your common sense.
    2. If in doubt (or you have no common sense), don't do things when one or more of your buddies is/are snickering like Beavis or Butthead.

The allegation is they took names from phonebooks etc. and filled them in on petitions to put a measure (the subject is irrelevant but in this case the measure is an effort to legalize medical marijuana) up for a state-wide vote. If true, it shows some real bone-head thinking.
    I want to correct the parenthetical statement -- in my opinion, the purpose or subject of the petition is immaterial but I then noted the petition involved a measure which would legalize medical marijuana. That may not be entirely accurate...apparently petitions for two different subjects were impacted. The other subject involved a constitutional amendment which would create a conservation fund.

As noted in the Fargo Forum, more than 25,000 fake entries on the petitions killed two ballot measures. Stunning stupidity. Link:
    http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373160/

From the article (source was the ND Attorney General's office), which demonstrates the scope of the fraud:
    The medical marijuana initiative needed 13,452 signatures and 20,092 were submitted. It ended up being more than 900 signatures short, according to Jaeger's office.
    The conservation fund, as a proposed constitutional amendment, required 26,904 signatures and 37,785 were submitted. After losing the signatures the investigation found invalid, the petition drive came up 7,938 votes short, according to Jaeger's office.

Oops! Just notice I was signed in as adminhare...should have signed in as JackJD

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      Is it just me, or are the athletes at NDSU getting more creative in finding ways to get in trouble? Voter fraud,c'mon,they should know that's taken very seriously,especially during a presidential election year.Oops...voter petition fraud,less serious,but still criminal.
      Voter petition fraud essentially is vote fraud

Comment

Speculation out there about this becoming an NCAA issue under pay for work not performed.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Voter petition fraud essentially is vote fraud
          Is it not the reason that many states with Republican controlled legislatures put voter id laws on the books? Its seems to be a very serious matter that calls for more than a one game suspension.

Comment

Just something I was wondering. Would Jackrabbit fans like NDSU's headaches if it came with NDSU's hardware? Or are most fans ok with the occasional good year and the relative lack of headaches?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
              Just something I was wondering. Would Jackrabbit fans like NDSU's headaches if it came with NDSU's hardware? Or are most fans ok with the occasional good year and the relative lack of headaches?
              Winning brings on headaches because it shines the light brighter on your team.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                Winning brings on headaches because it shines the light brighter on your team.
                Didn't the Bison Best Buy fiasco happen when they were a pretty average team ?

Comment

At least we're getting new turf. Again. And we can say no opponent ever scored against us on the "old" turf.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    Forging some one's signature to a petition is a serious misreprentation. I think the AG has only touched the tip of the iceberg.

There could be more charges to follow. Suspend them for one game, what a joke. No I dont wish your headaches on any one. Oh boy the hardware, again a joke,

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                      At least we're getting new turf. Again. And we can say no opponent ever scored against us on the "old" turf.
                      How'd they approve the funding for the turf? Did it come from the athletic budget or were signatures for a petition collected?

Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just tossing this out there:

NCAA bylaw 12.4.1:

12.4.1 Criteria Governing compensation to Student-Athletes. Compensation may be paid to
                        a student-athlete: (Revised: 11/22/04)

(a) Only for work actually performed; and

(b) At a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services.
                        What is curious about this to me, is that it appears to be a strict liability regulation. That is, the Bison players may be in violation, even if they were hired and paid in good faith.

Extrapolating further, it would seem the allocution required as part of the plea agreement would constitute sufficient evidence of a violation from the NCAA's standpoint.

Extrapolating even further: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2933008

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                          If you guys had stuck to grass and the good old outdoors, where football is supposd to be played, none of this would have ever happened.

Comment

The story made the front page of espn.com

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ion-signatures

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              The story made the front page of espn.com

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ion-signatures
                              Fan meet Sh$t. $h!t meet Fan. Hit it. Looks like this is not going to go quietly into the good night. And why wouldn't the NCAA jump all over the chance to make an example of NDSU....what do they care about the FCS? Make an example and say "Look we're serious." I wish no ill on the Bison over this, but I can see the NCAA(an organization we all can say is about as arbitrary and random as you can get with handing out punishments) jumping all over this just because they can.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I saw this story on espn.com and the one we don't speak of barely had anything to say. I'm not sure bohl is doing the right thing letting um play. Do they get suspended or kicked off the team if they are found guilty?
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X