Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    There is also a related article about changing the law which would raise the charge from misdemeanor to felony,but this is all likely to happen after January 1, if anything at all happens. I am somewhat disappointed about AD Gene Taylors casual attitude towards the whole affair in saying its over with. His hunger for a repeat NC seems to be affecting his objectivity.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/374156/
    Lucky you guys don't have to worry about that.

Comment

According to the Forum article, Rep. Carlson (same guy who was the primary sponsor of the legislation that required UND to keep the Sioux nickname), said:
      "But they still must remember that until these guys are formally charged that you’re always innocent until proven guilty.”

I don't think that's what he meant. I'm quite sure they have been by a criminal complaint which alleges they committed a Class A misdemeanor. I think he meant something like Until they are found guilty, they are presumed innocent. But, with that guy, he may have meant exactly what he supposedly said and in that case, it looks like Carlson doesn't have a good understanding of the legal process...that bothers me when the lawmakers are confused.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
        Oh that really hurts Hows the home brewing coming?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Oh my, not good when the President calls you out.

. . . In the statement, his second in two days, Bresciani said all students charged with crimes are subject to the university’s internal disciplinary review process. As student athletes, they also face possible review by their team or the athletics department.

I apologize for any confusion caused by our athletics department comments about the student disciplinary process,” he said in the statement. “Contrary to what has been suggested or implied, no decisions have been made.” . . .

. . .
          Bresciani said a disciplinary decision will be made “after an appropriate institution review process.”

“Our core values are rooted in integrity through principled action and ethical decision making as well as accountability to the people of North Dakota,” he said in the statement. . . .

oh and the politicians are involved too

. . .
          Rep. Al Carlson, R-Fargo, said the case has put the focus on NDSU as lawmakers wait to see how the university deals with the accused students.“I think for NDSU, the onus is on them on how they handle the situation,” he said. “But they still must remember that until these guys are formally charged that you’re always innocent until proven guilty.”
          Rep. Bob Skarphol, R-Tioga, said he’s “disappointed” in how NDSU has handled the situation so far, and he would like the university to be more transparent about what has been done so far.
          He said the state should look at how universities have dealt with similar cases in the past and find a consistent way to punish students accused of crimes. But he said this situation is unique in some ways, especially because many of the accused admitted to investigators that they had forged signatures.

“It isn’t like they’re going to be found innocent,” he said. “From a perspective of a legislator, I think election fraud is an extremely serious offense and it’s an affront to the process that they’ve been allowed to live under. The disrespect that they’ve shown I think is incorrigible.” . . .

I'll bet that if the NDSU athletic dept. had it to do all over again, they would have suspended the 10 current players. Not good.
          It goes to show there are still many, many moral people in ND, who could give a sh*t about a repeat NC.
          Some might even been UND fans, but they recognize the seriousness of the alleged crimes.

Comment

Okay, funny quip based on our lack of a national championship. The other side of it is true too: we don't have to worry about a number of our football players having been arrested.

TAB -- I think you have probably noted that SDSU fans haven't jumped all over the Bison about this one. When I make an infrequent stop on UND's Sioux Sports message board, I've noted even the UND partisans haven't been particularly tough on the Bison about the arrests. The reaction of many regulars on Bisonville, however, has been remarkable. Some of the regulars who are rabidly against the Fargo Forum's reporting on the incident are some of the same who would be all over UND if the incident involved UND football players rather than NDSU players.

I think the rank and file SDSU fans -- being a calmer bunch to begin with -- are mindful that with college students, such things can happen at any school. We also watched first-hand the devastating effect of arrests on our basketball team early in the D-I transition -- and those arrests resulted in an acquittal at trial for one and dropped charges for the other. So I think I'm safe in writing that no one around here has or will be jumping up and down on this issue.

While there's always a little glee in seeing a rival school squirm (as measured by some of the more nutty fans), personally, I conclude the way Bohl and AD Taylor have handled these particular matters is okay. I view fraudelent petition signing as a very serious matter but I'd let this one play out in court. All criminal acts are stupid but these particular acts appear to be heavily in the stupid category but pretty light in the criminal-intent category.

Drink beer!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Okay, funny quip based on our lack of a national championship. The other side of it is true too: we don't have to worry about a number of our football players having been arrested.

TAB -- I think you have probably noted that SDSU fans haven't jumped all over the Bison about this one. When I make an infrequent stop on UND's Sioux Sports message board, I've noted even the UND partisans haven't been particularly tough on the Bison about the arrests. The reaction of many regulars on Bisonville, however, has been remarkable. Some of the regulars who are rabidly against the Fargo Forum's reporting on the incident are some of the same who would be all over UND if the incident involved UND football players rather than NDSU players.

I think the rank and file SDSU fans -- being a calmer bunch to begin with -- are mindful that with college students, such things can happen at any school. We also watched first-hand the devastating effect of arrests on our basketball team early in the D-I transition -- and those arrests resulted in an acquittal at trial for one and dropped charges for the other. So I think I'm safe in writing that no one around here has or will be jumping up and down on this issue.

While there's always a little glee in seeing a rival school squirm (as measured by some of the more nutty fans), personally, I conclude the way Bohl and AD Taylor have handled these particular matters is okay. I view fraudelent petition signing as a very serious matter but I'd let this one play out in court. All criminal acts are stupid but these particular acts appear to be heavily in the stupid category but pretty light in the criminal-intent category.

Drink beer!
              Well said. My bad on the reply to Nidaros. I think Nidaros is a good guy, but I do think he takes extra delight in posting from his pedestal of righteousness. As for the rest, you guys have been very slow to react...if at all. For me, I am horribly ashamed of the whole situation. I really do not know what to think at the moment. I want to believe NDSU is doing the right thing, but it is hard to see at the moment. I guess the one thing I have learned so far in my years, do not make decisions to quickly, or without all the facts. I want to see this all play out. In the end, it is still a black eye...there is no getting away from that...but I hope it leaves the majority understanding and accepting the decisions made on NDSU's part.

@Nidaros--the brewing is going very well. I actually had my beer tasted/tested by a beer sommelier a couple weeks ago. He was very complimentary on my brew. I had him taste the Belgian Tripel. He made numerous compliments, but finished by telling me my bittering hops were just slightly high...he would guess about 15% too high...but other than that it was perfect. He said if I entered it into contests I would win some awards with it. I was later told by one of his friends that I should take this all as extreme compliments as he is a very harsh critic, and rarely gives compliments. Later, when I went home I checked the recipe for the Belgian Tripel and I noticed I did not lessen the hops when I added them to the brew...but instead through what I had in...which equaled 15% more than what is called for (I like hops). Pretty cool that he could taste that...and actually have the right amount. Right now I'm getting ready to make a milk chocolate stout and add cherries to it when I put it in the secondary fermentor. Good times!

Comment

Well said. My bad on the reply to Nidaros. I think Nidaros is a good guy, but I do think he takes extra delight in posting from his pedestal of righteousness. As for the rest, you guys have been very slow to react...if at all. For me, I am horribly ashamed of the whole situation. I really do not know what to think at the moment. I want to believe NDSU is doing the right thing, but it is hard to see at the moment. I guess the one thing I have learned so far in my years, do not make decisions to quickly, or without all the facts. I want to see this all play out. In the end, it is still a black eye...there is no getting away from that...but I hope it leaves the majority understanding and accepting the decisions made on NDSU's part.

@Nidaros--the brewing is going very well. I actually had my beer tasted/tested by a beer sommelier a couple weeks ago. He was very complimentary on my brew. I had him taste the Belgian Tripel. He made numerous compliments, but finished by telling me my bittering hops were just slightly high...he would guess about 15% too high...but other than that it was perfect. He said if I entered it into contests I would win some awards with it. I was later told by one of his friends that I should take this all as extreme compliments as he is a very harsh critic, and rarely gives compliments. Later, when I went home I checked the recipe for the Belgian Tripel and I noticed I did not lessen the hops when I added them to the brew...but instead through what I had in...which equaled 15% more than what is called for (I like hops). Pretty cool that he could taste that...and actually have the right amount. Right now I'm getting ready to make a milk chocolate stout and add cherries to it when I put it in the secondary fermentor. Good times!
                I have to admit the self-righteousness comes from jealousy and how the NDSU has succeeded in Football since 1963. I do envy the following up there in Bisonville and the belief in being able to take down FBC opponents like you did last Saturday. Keeping good discipline like Coach Eberhart had is something that has has been lacking from time to time, other than that I am sure there are numerous good citizens that can trace their training back to Bison Football, ie Peppercorn who is now on the Fargo City Council would be one. Also always notice a Bison Flag on the Minn 216 between Wahpton and Fergus Falls. Some one still loves the Bison.

JackJD referred to the incident with the BB team during the transition and I can't say I totally agree with the conclusions of that outcome, but its behind us now. I am sure vote fraud incident will linger for awhile and will be finally put to rest.

Thanks for the update on the brewing. I havent drank alchohol beverages since 1973 but always thought this would be an interesting hobby. Good luck to the Bison this Saturday.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 09-16-2012, 02:31 AM.

Comment

telling me my bittering hops were just slightly high...he would guess about 15% too high
                  You shoulda been like, all, "No way, man, you're 15% too high."

Comment

Bomb threat at NDSU today, hope everyone is safe. If it is a farce what are the odds a Bison football player made the call? Not smack, I promise.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Bomb scare today at UT-Austin, too, and just heard on the radio of a bomb scare here in Kansas City. "The natives are restless."

Update: Add "Unspecified threat to Valparaiso University" to the list.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

And the last 2 days the swat team has been called out for hostage situations and a horrible murber suicide. The whole world is going crazy along with the stuff in the middle east regions with attacking US embasseys. All of a sudden, the NDSU voter fraud thing doesnt seem like such a big deal.....even though it is.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Time to open that Microbrewery, TAB?
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

All players involved plead guilty in court appearance. NDSU to make a statement later today.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              All players involved plead guilty in court appearance. NDSU to make a statement later today.
                              "Justice has been served and these fine young men have paid their price and have gone through enough.....Go Bison!"
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                "Justice has been served and these fine young men have paid their price and have gone through enough.....Go Bison!"
                                "These kids have been through enough......boys will be boys....Go Bison!".

Comment

Working...
                                X