USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

It's a good move for the Bison. Verminvilles hotel situation, 2?, would make it real hard for a lot of Bison fans to stay there so they would have to stay in Sioux Falls anyway. USD just made it easier for them to get a lot more people to the game instead of the few who would get to the dome.

Comment

Perhaps this could have potential for USD. It puts a game where their alumni are concentrated.

Potential downsides; reduce an already low student attendance, give up what could be the largest gate game at the Dome, more than 50% of attendance opponent's fans (pheasant opener will affect local attendance), bad loss reduces future attraction of casual fans.

I think USD needs to upset NDSU at this game to avoid the downside.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Someone may have to explain to me how a nonprofit, subsidized hospital system that complains about government financial reimbursements and unfair competition from doctors can afford to sponsor a football game.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Someone may have to explain to me how a nonprofit, subsidized hospital system that complains about government financial reimbursements and unfair competition from doctors can afford to sponsor a football game.
          How do you think they maintain their nonprofit status? They probably have to spend some of their revenue on things like advertising, real estate, subsidizing health care, capital improvements, etc.*

*I don't know anything about how non profits work.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Likely the same way a govt complaining about tax revenue can fund 5 day trips to Hawaii for a ribbon cutting ceremony. Profit motive is what makes private industry efficient.

Back to the thread, Has NDSU thanked USD athletic marketing for the exposure? Seems to me USD is marketing their athletics by advertising more successful programs. See billboard at Brookings, incessant pushing of The Rivalry, and now the NDSU game in SF. "Look at us, we are playing more popular teams!"
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

We are driving our bus down and planning on a great weekend in SF. We had been planning on driving down and back for the game in Vermillion. Now we are staying at the Sheraton for the weekend and celebrating a Bison beatdown of the yotes. Lots of people talking about this trip today at the NDSU spring game, which had almost 6,000 fans in attendance. HW is going to be full of the ridiculous Bison faithful.

Someone warn Buffalo Wild Wings!!!

Comment

With the herd of Bison that will come down, better warn both BWWs before heading out to hunt the wiley pheasant.

Comment

This will give more kids in SF a close up look without having to have NDSU bring them to FargoI like it
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                    This will give more kids in SF a close up look without having to have NDSU bring them to FargoI like it
                    The slim chance usd wins it could back fire but probably wouldn't hurt your recruiting chances. Probably help ndsu more then usd. What if you guys go all eastern washington? Different circumstances I know but usd will use that as fire to get up for the game.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      The slim chance usd wins it could back fire but probably wouldn't hurt your recruiting chances. Probably help ndsu more then usd. What if you guys go all eastern washington? Different circumstances I know but usd will use that as fire to get up for the game.
                      EWU was a shell of the team that won the title the year prior. Can't say the same about the 2012 bison. They have a ton returning. I don't think it will matter how fired up USD is.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        EWU was a shell of the team that won the title the year prior. Can't say the same about the 2012 bison. They have a ton returning. I don't think it will matter how fired up USD is.
                        That shell of a team was one dropped pass away from beating the University of Washington the week prior to coming to Vermillion. The loss in Vermillion along with a string of injuries (every team has them - that is why depth is critical) sent their season into a spiral. The week after getting upset in Vermillion they had to play the Griz - that was their death blow.Pretty weak on your part to diminish that victory.That being said the Bison look to be a much bigger challenge made even more difficult by the venue change. Looking forward to seeing the game.Hope SDSU has more than a shell of themselves left by the end of the season next year so the USD victory can be considered a good one.

Comment

The main benefit of USD moving its NDSU home game to Sioux Falls has passed. The primary benefit was a few days of fluffy publicity related to the announcement. Now the costs will start to accumulate. The expense of moving a game to a similar-sized facility 60 miles away. Backlash from students and businesses in Vermillion. The embarassment of a likely loss to a visiting team that probably will outdraw the home team. It's going to be hard to put a positive spin on all that.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
                            That shell of a team was one dropped pass away from beating the University of Washington the week prior to coming to Vermillion. The loss in Vermillion along with a string of injuries (every team has them - that is why depth is critical) sent their season into a spiral. The week after getting upset in Vermillion they had to play the Griz - that was their death blow.Pretty weak on your part to diminish that victory.That being said the Bison look to be a much bigger challenge made even more difficult by the venue change. Looking forward to seeing the game.Hope SDSU has more than a shell of themselves left by the end of the season next year so the USD victory can be considered a good one.
                            Well, EWU went 6-5 in 2012. They went 13-2 the year prior when they won the NC. Who cares if they were one dropped pass away from upsetting UW the week before. We played with Nebraska in 2010 when we went 5-6. Doesn't mean we had a good team, because we obviously didn't. You are what your records says you are.

And I'll diminish any USD victory I please. After all, this is an SDSU fan board. Isn't that how the old saying goes? "If you don't like it, leave"?
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              Well, EWU went 6-5 in 2012. They went 13-2 the year prior when they won the NC. Who cares if they were one dropped pass away from upsetting UW the week before. We played with Nebraska in 2010 when we went 5-6. Doesn't mean we had a good team, because we obviously didn't. You are what your records says you are.And I'll diminish any USD victory I please. After all, this is an SDSU fan board. Isn't that how the old saying goes? "If you don't like it, leave"?
                              I hope you get your chance - if the Coyotes win in Brookings this Fall that is what I expect from KUlawJack.

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
                                Well we literally were a dropped but called catch pass from beating them in 09 and that would have put us at home in the semis with a very good chance at being in the title game with a crapload of sophomores they are still around so....we are not like EWU but I'm not marking a W just yet either
                                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                                X