Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Originally posted by hareball View Post
    The game ball will likely be delivered by a helicopter owned by the sponsor. Not sure if they are using Trauma 1 or Trauma 2.
    I don't think that's allowed anymore since they have installed field turf.

Comment

I listened to Sports Talk with Craig and Chris on KWSN yesterday and just had to laugh at how much of the red Kool Aid they had been drinking.

They went on and on and on about how USD is really trying to do some good things to try and aggressively market themselves and how they are trying to differentiate themselves from SDSU and establish themselves in the Sioux Falls market.

What were the things that they were trumpeting you ask?

Here we go:

1. Playing a football game at Howard Wood field
      2. Playing as many other sports as possible in Sioux Falls
      3. Having meetings where the coaches come to town and meet with boosters to keep them in the loop on all of the sports.
      4. Having a designated day where all of their studen-athletes and coaches spend the day in Sioux Falls doing various activities (visit schools and hospitals, etc.).
      5. Establishing an office in Sioux Falls for their foundation to use for marketing and fundraising.
      6. Expanding their radio network to reach more fans.
      7. Using the Summit League Championship for basketball as a showcase for USD Athletics.
      8. Creating a booster club in Sioux Falls.

Any of those sound familiar at all? They really have some out-of-the-box thinkers down there. Let's look at each of these from a Jackrabbit perspective:

1. Played a game there. Done that! Except that USD is playing NDSU which means that the Bison fans will make it another home game for the green and gold.
      2. The Jacks have played baseball and basketball in Sioux Falls. I guess the Yotes won't be playing baseball or wrestling in Sioux Falls.
      3. The Jacks have held meetings for fans years.
      4. The Jacks have done the "Turn the Falls Blue" thing for a number of years.
      5. The university and foundation have shared an office in Sioux falls (downtown I believe) for several years.
      6. The Jacks radio network reaches virtually the entire state.
      7. If it weren't for the Jacks, Fred and Peggy in particular, getting together with the SF Sports Authority that tournament wouldn't be here. You're welcome Yoties!
      8. The Sioux Empire Staters group has been active for a very long time in Sioux Falls.

You have to understand that KWSN's sister station will be broadcasting Yote sports next fall so there is a company interest involved. The thing that gets me is that all of the ideas they talked about were things that SDSU has done. Every last one! And there weren't any unique ideas that they came up with. It was just laughable. My favorite part was when a caller called in to discuss the big announcement yesterday and he started complainging that getting the Jacks games on the radio in Sioux Falls was difficult. Really? You can't get "The big friend: 570 WNAX to come in there? It comes in loud and clear in Brookings! Plus, the Jacks have affiliates everywhere around the state. My guess the USD game will be a little tough to find in Dupree!

Most of the things that USD is doing make complete sense. I'm not knocking that! But to trumpet it as "new and creative". Please! They have followed the footsteps that the Jacks plowed through the snow like a little kid following their daddy walking through deep snow making sure to step in dad's footsteps. Not calling that a stupid move. A tip of the hat may be in order however, not that I would ever expect them to stoop to that level.

Stay classy USD! Stay classy!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

living here in Michigan and not having been to Howard Wood Field since a Jacks Augie game in the 70's,a question. Who still plays their games there. All the local high schools or just some of them. why did they spend so much to renovate it if only a few schools play there? if only a few play there then the Sports Authority needs to get others to play there to justify the expense. but then a few major conf schools are taking home games to other places so

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          living here in Michigan and not having been to Howard Wood Field since a Jacks Augie game in the 70's,a question. Who still plays their games there. All the local high schools or just some of them. why did they spend so much to renovate it if only a few schools play there? if only a few play there then the Sports Authority needs to get others to play there to justify the expense. but then a few major conf schools are taking home games to other places so
          The 3 pubic high schools play there. They also get a handful of other high school teams to play there. They have the Howard Wood Relay's the State tournament (2 out of 3 years I believe) and I think 1 or 2 other track meets throughout the year.

Why did they spend that much money? To many Sioux Falls' residents, Howard Wood is their baby. And that is why. Do they need it? no, they could put up a smaller, more economical facility in a better location for football and move all the track meets to USF/Sanford Health Stadium. But that wouldn't be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            The 3 pubic high schools play there. They also get a handful of other high school teams to play there. They have the Howard Wood Relay's the State tournament (2 out of 3 years I believe) and I think 1 or 2 other track meets throughout the year.

Why did they spend that much money? To many Sioux Falls' residents, Howard Wood is their baby. And that is why. Do they need it? no, they could put up a smaller, more economical facility in a better location for football and move all the track meets to USF/Sanford Health Stadium. But that wouldn't be cool.
            They hold more than 1 or 2 track meets there a year. They spent money to refurbish it because it was falling apart. Smaller? the President's Bowl, Dakota Bowl, the festival of bands fills that place up every year. USF Track is not big enough to hold the Howard Wood Relays and State Track Meets. Being cool has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              They hold more than 1 or 2 track meets there a year. They spent money to refurbish it because it was falling apart. Smaller? the President's Bowl, Dakota Bowl, the festival of bands fills that place up every year. USF Track is not big enough to hold the Howard Wood Relays and State Track Meets. Being cool has nothing to do with it.
              Ok so they have a few more events, its still a ton of money for a facility that is not used that often, and is too big for many of the events it does hold. When they initially approved the renovations USF and Augie was still playing at Howard Wood. If they can get USD to play in Sioux Falls yearly though, it will probably be a decent investment.

But I still thought they spent a lot of money for 1-2 track meets, they may have more, but only 1-2 get close to capacity, 1 maybe 2 football games (President's bowl and USD game), and the festival of bands.

Plus I'd argue track is a dying sport. With all of these individual workout plans, many athletes don't bother with track, and many coaches don't push it upon the athletes like they use to. But that is another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Anyone connecting dots on sponsorship dollars for this yet? Its pretty clear isn't it?
                Need a pencil to connect the dots?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  Need a pencil to connect the dots?
                  I would connect to Kelby Krabbenhoft, who seems to have fun spending other peoples money( the name that ryhmes with Banford)

Comment

Someone mentioned earlier about 6-8K Bison fans coming to the game. This definitely could happen. I will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
                      Someone mentioned earlier about 6-8K Bison fans coming to the game. This definitely could happen. I will be there.
                      I mentioned that because I noticed the ridiculous number of bison fans who travel. A 225 mile drive down I-29 is painless to those ridiculous fans. 10K Bison is not out of question. I suppose SDBison will be the host for all his fellow bison.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        Ok so they have a few more events, its still a ton of money for a facility that is not used that often, and is too big for many of the events it does hold. When they initially approved the renovations USF and Augie was still playing at Howard Wood. If they can get USD to play in Sioux Falls yearly though, it will probably be a decent investment.
                        Your statement could easily be applied to the new events center (or for that matter Coughlin Alumni Stadium), joeboo.

It will have a decent number of events, but the facility won't be used much more than the current arena. The new events center will be too big for many of the events it does get (the Arena is too big for many now). When the events center was approved, the Skyforce still played at the Arena, they won't be by the time it is built. Switch out USD football for Summit League, and the similarity is pretty strong.

A lot of people probably think the city is spending a lot of money for a two-bit conference tournament once a year and some high school hockey...

Coughlin gets used, MAYBE 20 times a year? And we want to spend how many million fixing/adding to it?

The Sioux Falls market is up for grabs, I personally know maybe a dozen people who didn't follow SDSU at all 10 years ago that attend at least 2 contests a year now plus the Summit League tournament.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Also, haha, its so funny how USD is going to have Sanford sponsor the game!!! A helicopter delivering the game ball? Kelby sure likes to spend money, what a jerk!! Sure T. Denny is a billionaire, but its not like he's on a short list of potential donors for their new basketball arena... Those maroons down south sure are dumb. /sarcasm
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Your statement could easily be applied to the new events center (or for that matter Coughlin Alumni Stadium), joeboo.

It will have a decent number of events, but the facility won't be used much more than the current arena. The new events center will be too big for many of the events it does get (the Arena is too big for many now). When the events center was approved, the Skyforce still played at the Arena, they won't be by the time it is built. Switch out USD football for Summit League, and the similarity is pretty strong.

A lot of people probably think the city is spending a lot of money for a two-bit conference tournament once a year and some high school hockey...

Coughlin gets used, MAYBE 20 times a year? And we want to spend how many million fixing/adding to it?

The Sioux Falls market is up for grabs, I personally know maybe a dozen people who didn't follow SDSU at all 10 years ago that attend at least 2 contests a year now plus the Summit League tournament.
                            Thank you.

Comment

I think this is a great idea for USD, and would be a terrible idea for SDSU. USD is in a significantly different position than SDSU.

1) Vermillion is half the size of Brookings
                              2) SDSU undergrad population is at least 25% larger than USD.
                              3) SDSU receives a significant amount of sponorship money from Brookings based companies, USD receives very little from Vermillon based companies.

SDSU should not play a game in Sioux Falls, USD has nothing to lose.

Down south is a totally different situation, I applaud the move.
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                I think this is a great idea for USD, and would be a terrible idea for SDSU. USD is in a significantly different position than SDSU.

1) Vermillion is half the size of Brookings
                                2) SDSU undergrad population is at least 25% larger than USD.
                                3) SDSU receives a significant amount of sponorship money from Brookings based companies, USD receives very little from Vermillon based companies.

SDSU should not play a game in Sioux Falls, USD has nothing to lose.

Down south is a totally different situation, I applaud the move.
                                I applaud the move as well! No Vermillion for the Bison!

Comment

Working...
                                X