Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD v NDSU in Sioux Falls

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    My guess is the Arena's ticketmaster (which I don't like)/box office will handle the sales but that is just a guess

I don't know who handles SDSU's but it was easy and cheap when I did it.
    Not according to the news conference. You need to purchase tickets through USD ticket office.
    Per USD website: "Single game tickets for the North Dakota State game are scheduled to go on sale Aug. 1 for $25 through the Coyote Ticket Office."

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Not according to the news conference. You need to purchase tickets through USD ticket office.
      O, that is dumb, I thought that might be one of the reasons they wanted to do it that way.

Yeah, they will need to figure something out, because I don't know how the NDSU (and USD for that matter) fans are going to want to have to put up with roll call tickets, and cash sales, or even Credit card for that matter.

Comment

I guess I am not surprised by this move at all. I think it is a good move for USD. They originally wanted the SDSU vs. USD game in SF as an annual event. Playing NDSU is the next best team I would think.

Mr. Sayler said the students he spoke with were excited by and I believe he said the student association endorsed it. They will provide free transportation to the game for USD students. So they can get to the game if they choose to attend. The game will be a part of the season ticket package. He also said it maybe apart of mini (two game) package that could be available before the single game tickets go on sale. To me this is the great idea. My guess is there will be a good number of NDSU and USD fans that would purchase the mini ticket package to make sure they have tickets. (Heck if they matched it up with the UNI game. I would bet some of the NDSU fans in Sioux Fall may attend the USD vs. UNI game just to antagonize and cheer against the UNI. Both fan bases seem looking for and willing to have a little nastiness toward each other.

From what I have been told by some Vermillion residents is that many of the business owners do not live in Vermillion but live in Sioux Falls. So this may not offend as many business owners as one might think (but it still may).

The only down side I see is bringing NDSU into the hometown of the best football talent the state has and letting set up camp, recruit and showcase their football program to South Dakota’s football hotbed, which hurts SDSU, USD, Augie and USF.

I guess both SDSU and USD will find out if a game (with each other) in Sioux Falls is worth the risk. USD has always said it was. I think this game is a better measuring stick that the SDSU vs. Cal Davis was back in the day.
        We...ARE...STATE!
        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          Are they going to haul in 3,000 temp. bleachers for the game?
          Yes. I wouldn't be shocked if they sold 15K+ tickets to this game. SDSU has put 17000 fans in a 10000 seat stadium a couple times. Why couldn't USD fit 13000 into a 10000 seat stadium?
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Unless the weather is complete cr@p or NDSU has a losing record or gas is $6 bucks a gallon, NDSU will bring a solid 4K and probably more 6-8K range.

USD I think it depends, if they open up strong and have a winning record, and the weather is good then yeah I could see them selling it out.

The thing is, this is what I've heard- There are a ton of USD fans in Sioux Falls that will go to this game....... but will they? If USD has a losing record, the weather is 50 and windy, will they show up? I also question the argument, we will show up if they play here, but we haven't attended a game over the last 10 years. If they are outnumbered by NDSU fans, and then lose by 30 how will it look? Yeah they can say we made money, but how will it look in the long run?

Also, I'm not sure how much $ they are going to clear, you will have to practice at Howard Wood a few times throughout the year, with that you have meals, and travel. They might spend the night, again more cost.

They say they are going to pay for students to attend the game, again another cost.

That all adds up.

I guess I just don't see why you would move your best game of the year. Over the past 5 years, when they were playing Jackson Mississippi Bible College at home, why didn't they move that game?

I just think its one of those things that USD could come out ahead, but they very easily could look very bad in doing this. But hey, they'll make money so it will work out

Comment

It might be worth mentioning that SDSU has an away game this weekend. How many SDSU fans from Sioux Falls show up to watch two conference opponents go head to head? I might go.

People can mock and laugh all they want, I think its a smart move by USD. Its all about risk/reward and under that perspective it makes a ton of sense.

Personally, I think USD/SDSU should play in SF every year, if there was a venue that could hold 20,000.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                It might be worth mentioning that SDSU has an away game this weekend. How many SDSU fans from Sioux Falls show up to watch two conference opponents go head to head? I might go.

People can mock and laugh all they want, I think its a smart move by USD. Its all about risk/reward and under that perspective it makes a ton of sense.

Personally, I think USD/SDSU should play in SF every year, if there was a venue that could hold 20,000.
                It makes some sense because they can hold more, and charge more in Sioux Falls. I just think that if you are doing things for money only purposes you are going to alienate many people.

I just don't buy this, people will wait in line for tickets and it will sell out early. USD couldn't get 6K to show up and watch SDSU in basketball. Though the SL tournament usually sells out or is close, much of the ticket sales are walk-up or day or 2 before. With South Dakota weather, and just the South Dakota mindset I really question how many will actually buy the tickets when they come on sale.

Comment

Anyone connecting dots on sponsorship dollars for this yet? Its pretty clear isn't it?
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Pheasant opener.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      Anyone connecting dots on sponsorship dollars for this yet? Its pretty clear isn't it?
                      Boy you know something I don't. I heard a name tossed around like Mahoney or something to that affect. I can not connect the dots. Please share. The worst that can happen is your post is deleted by the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        What do Fargo and Sioux Falls have in common? I'm thinking of a narcissistic personality that rhymes with manford.......am I close?
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

The game ball will likely be delivered by a helicopter owned by the sponsor. Not sure if they are using Trauma 1 or Trauma 2.
                          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                            The game ball will likely be delivered by a helicopter owned by the sponsor. Not sure if they are using Trauma 1 or Trauma 2.
                            We did that first.

I heard the coyotes will be para-jumping (is that a word?) into the stadium from the fixed wing aircraft. You know, kind of like the Harley in the dome but with a little more flare. Will there be a halftime skit involving SDSU like they did in the dome? That was certainly classy.

Comment

So Sanford is throwing money at this? Yeah that surprises me about as much as it surprised me I really didn't want to get up this morning

Maybe its just me, but I've yet to really figure out the whole Sanford advertising everything model. Its a hospital, generally when it comes to hospitals you go to those convenient, those that are close, those that insurance covers, and those that are good. Not saying Sanford does or doesn't qualify for any of those because I really don't know. But when I've dealt with what hospitals/doctors in the past, I don't pick 1 or the other because they sponsered a football game on Pheasant openner. In South Dakota, something like 90% of the hospitals are either owned or managed by Avera, Sanford or Regional (west river). They have the market locked up, I think its more Sanford wanting to put his name on everything then the company advertising. I'm guessing that Sanford would put money ont his game no matter who they were playing, maybe a little more because its North Daktoa State.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                We did that first.

I heard the coyotes will be para-jumping (is that a word?) into the stadium from the fixed wing aircraft. You know, kind of like the Harley in the dome but with a little more flare. Will there be a halftime skit involving SDSU like they did in the dome? That was certainly classy.
                                I've seen High School teams drop those para-aircraft/light air craft on the field. Saw a guy fly over with a balloon and drop it once. Black Hills State wanted to parachut out, had students that would do it but the city wouldn't ok it.

Comment

Working...
                                X