Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: AP poll

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
    When a pitcher is closing in on a no hitter, his teamates keep their distance and avoid discussing the possibilities and jinxing the pitcher.......one game at a time is crucial at this point.
    I don't know . . . the players need to take it one possession at a time (not even one game at a time . . . win most of the possessions and the games take care of themselves).

The fans . . . dream the dream, baby! I already have my Final Four tickets, but you know, if SDSU makes it there, we'll get a seat allocation in the lower bowl, not in the nosebleed seats you get stuck with via the NCAA lottery.

On the other hand, in the immortal words of Han Solo: "Great, Kid! Don't get cocky!"
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitears View Post
      I know I'm stating the obvious, but I've been a Jackrabbit women's hoop fan since 200 people showed for the old 6pm NCC doubleheaders; I am not an SDSU grad(wish I was); but I literally 'smile out loud' everytime I look at the Top25 polls and see "South Dakota State".

I know the day will come when we might not be there, but in this moment the map of college women's basketball has shifted....to a little spot on the prairie where many have not been...I can't wait for ESPN/CBS/ABC to show up on the doorstep and reveal to the rest of the nation how our own little engine said 'I think I can', and did!

I don't want to be too overly optimistic, but what if, just what if...you tuned in the Final 4 and saw SoDakSt!???
      And I thought StJoseph, MO was big!
      I think what your womans team has done this year is awesome. They have played some very good competition and won. Quite frankly it is very impressive, and I wish them nothing but success the balance of the year. Good luck and best wishes.

Comment

Classy post, Yote Forever. When one of your squads soars like this - and that day will come - fans on our side will be there for you, too. Or at least this one will.

Jacks could crack the AP Top 20 before March, maybe even the Top 15, as long as they keep attending to business, game by game.

However, this is precisely the time where the mid-major bias kicks in. As the SDSU Strength of Schedule falls through Summit League sked, the question will be: Will AP voters move a mid-major with (we hope) minimal losses over a team that has seven or eight by the end of their conference season? Given that question, one might argue that a conference loss for the Jacks could be the equivalent of multiple losses for, say, a Big 12 or ACC team, from now on.

Still, of teams ranked by AP ahead of SDSU:

- Georgia Tech plays North Carolina twice, Duke and Virginia once each.
        - Kansas State is 11-0 but has the 213th rated R.P.I schedule so far, and plays conference games against Texas A&M, Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
        - Oklahoma State, with a loss to Ark.-Little Rock already, has A&M, Texas and Baylor twice each, and Kansas State once.
        - Vanderbilt, with 11 wins against the weakest schedule of anyone in Top 25 AP, plays Notre Dame tonight and has Tennessee twice.
        - Virginia, which lost by seven at Gonzaga two weeks before the Jacks won by 14 there, has Maryland twice, North Carolina and Duke.

Point is, there is still so much more to earn. IMHO this "jinxing" stuff is balderdash. The women already know they've got bullseyes on them every conference game they play. I for one hope to all get out they go undefeated the rest of the way, all the way to the Final Four and to the national championship. This team is 13-1 because the players and coaches earned it. A little swagger ain't always bad if it's paid for through blood, sweat and tears. Go for it all every game and enjoy the ride.
        Lucky clovers are dead in S.D. in January anyway.

Comment

My point earlier about the "jinxing" was based in part on similar discussion on this board last year at about this same time who had us in the WNIT championship game only to have us lose in the first round, at home, to Creighton. Its ok to dream but setting an unrealistic expectation of the final four could lead to an unwarranted dissappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
            My point earlier about the "jinxing" was based in part on similar discussion on this board last year at about this same time who had us in the WNIT championship game only to have us lose in the first round, at home, to Creighton. Its ok to dream but setting an unrealistic expectation of the final four could lead to an unwarranted dissappointment.
            I'm much more worried about our women losing their overall edge playing in a relatively weak Summit League than I am in any jinx.

So, I hope Oakland, NDSU, Oral Roberts, and the rest of the league push the Jacks hard enough throughout the season that they're actually ready for the level they'll have to play at should they be fortunate enough to get an NCAA berth. In short, I want the Rabbits to get everybody's absolute best shot from here on out. If they're good enough, they'll respond well to the pressure in-conference.

If the NCAA tournament started today, I think the Jacks might be able to get into the Sweet 16--and after you do that, almost anything can happen. But the tournament starts two and a half months from now and there's no guarantee that the Rabbits will be a part of it. Two and a half months is a looooong time in a basketball season.

But you gotta BELIEVE!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              If the NCAA tournament started today, I think the Jacks might be able to get into the Sweet 16--and after you do that, almost anything can happen. But the tournament starts two and a half months from now and there's no guarantee that the Rabbits will be a part of it. Two and a half months is a looooong time in a basketball season.

But you gotta BELIEVE!
              I like it! Let's quiet the seeding and how far we'll go in the tournament talk. Let's enjoy seeing the women's team running the table in the Summit League in the coming weeks!

Comment

It will be interesting to watch the polls next week. San Diego State (The other SDSU) beat #4 Texas tonight 60-55 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=283650021
                If voters want to vote for SDSU or SD State there could be some confusion.

Also, #6 Notre Dame barely beat #19 Vanderbilt 59-57 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=283650238

Vanderbilt led most of the game. It will be interesting to watch if AP voters see a loss as a loss and Vanderbilt drops out of the top 25 or if playing Notre Dame to the buzzer will give them more support in the poll.

Comment

The more undefeated teams that lose ,the less our one loss stands out

Comment

Sounds like some of you fans are more nervous about everything you can possibly worry about than the players probably are.Hope that makes sense to ole beanhead! Sorry, couldn't resist(ha....ha!)
                    Last edited by shinman; 12-31-2008, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Geez don't you guys ever sleep? 2:50 am post times?

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                        It will be interesting to watch the polls next week. San Diego State (The other SDSU) beat #4 Texas tonight 60-55 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=283650021
                        If voters want to vote for SDSU or SD State there could be some confusion.

Also, #6 Notre Dame barely beat #19 Vanderbilt 59-57 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=283650238

Vanderbilt led most of the game. It will be interesting to watch if AP voters see a loss as a loss and Vanderbilt drops out of the top 25 or if playing Notre Dame to the buzzer will give them more support in the poll.
                        The San Diego State win hurts in a way. I reported on another post that Deb Antonelli (Westwood One WBB analyst) had San Diego on her top 25, and I questioned whether she meant to vote for South Dakota State (the real SDSU!). But I think for the most part, the loss means more in moving Texas a few spots, than bolstering other voters to put San Diego (8-3) in the top 25. Likewise, I think Vandy will hold on ahead of us, but Notre Dame might move down a notch or two (depending on outcomes of other games between now and next Monday).

Comment

For what its worth here is the week 8 vote from the AP writers and broadcasters for SDSU in order of each persons vote. No names of all just last names of good and bad voters.

22 23 24 24 24 23 24 22, -McGraw, 22 20 20 25 23 20 24 23 22 19Voepel,25 23 22 24 24 24, -Warnock, 23 22, -Horning, 25 ,18Moseley, 24 24 22 24 23 23 22 22 24, 17Friedman, 23, 16Trimmer, 24 24

three no votes at all high 16 low 25
                          And Deb Antonelli voted for the right SDSU this time,

Comment

The Jacks are up to # 23 this week with 186 votes. We passed Vanderbilt

Comment

A Jackrabbit win tonight ties them with Auburn with the most wins in D-1 women's bb: 15.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                For what its worth here is the week 8 vote from the AP writers and broadcasters for SDSU in order of each persons vote. No names of all just last names of good and bad voters.

22 23 24 24 24 23 24 22, -McGraw, 22 20 20 25 23 20 24 23 22 19Voepel,25 23 22 24 24 24, -Warnock, 23 22, -Horning, 25 ,18Moseley, 24 24 22 24 23 23 22 22 24, 17Friedman, 23, 16Trimmer, 24 24

three no votes at all high 16 low 25
                                And Deb Antonelli voted for the right SDSU this time,
                                Just so we are all on the same page, I believe this is Week 9 (preseason was Week 1) when you go to Pollspeak. All 45 voters in the poll listed South Dakota State University on their top 25!!!!!!!! (There were three earlier voters, who were replaced.) You can always tell you have the latest week's vote, by using the top number available on the "week" choice. And I am happy that both John Riehl (whom I e-mailed about keeping Wisconsin on, and us off) and Deb Antonelli (and all the others) have realized who the real SDSU is!!! Now, c'mon Jacks, you need to go get tonight's game!

Comment

Working...
                                X